Builds Diesel Conversion to Isuzu 4BD1T (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm sure with some minor fuel mods the 4bd would pull a trailer just fine. It's the same displacement as my cummins and I can pull more than I should. Gearing will also help when pulling.

It took a while, but after a few threatening phone calls explaining that I have no problem driving across a few states to shoot him, he refunded half my money back.

Man, you made me spit coffee out my nose! :lol:

Great build - I envy you. ! And thanks for the post-build write-up! :D

Too bad stinking diesel is now .50 cents higher than reg, at least here in So. Cal...

Spike Strip,

Yeah, it is the same here in Tucson. It is so stupid that diesel costs more since it takes about 1/3 the refining that gas does. I actually asked a guy a few months ago that used to work at a refinery, what the deal was with the difference in price since when I was a kid (30 years ago) diesel was half the price of gas. He said that it was supply and demand and that the military is using so much diesel in the last 20 years that it has caused it to go up. I really don't know if I believe that, but the price still sucks. That is why I have been blending about 25% filtered waste veggie oil in with my diesel since it started getting warm here in Tucson and the truck loves it and since I get it free, it has dropped my fuel cost to $3 a gallon, which still sucks but at least I feel like I am givin' it to the man just a bit.

Thanks,

Don

I also read somewhere that it was supply and demand driving the cost up. Not sure if I believe that either since there was a point, just a year and a half ago, when Diesel #2 was .30 c less than reg. I have a Diesel TDI VW Golf as my DD and I curse now every time I fill up.

Good trick blending the veggie waste - I'm too chicken to run something like that in my V-dub with it's wonderful PD motor!

S.

Ok, a few people have asked me to post up a parts list of what it took to do this conversion. Some of the parts are priced lower than you might be able to find because I am a scrounger and a cheap SOB, so I found many of the parts on Ebay or on Craigslist and it saved me a bunch of money overall. A bunch of the parts came from the bone yard and I pulled them myself to save money as well. The H55F was quite as steal that I found locally, as was the rebuild kit for it that I found on ebay. The point is, when you don't have that much money, it is amazing what you can do with a little searching on the internet and some creativity at the junkyard!

Parts list for Isuzu Diesel conversion.

Used Isuzu 4BD1T $650 after my 50% refund
Isuzu Diesel Swapper adapter kit $600
New clutch and plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing $140
Rebuild kit for Isuzu 4BD1T from ebay $720
Used H55F tranny $650
H55T rebuild kit $125
Used low mileage FJ62 transfer case $100
Used HJ61 air cleaner $80
Intake piping and silicone hoses $75
FJ62 Throttle cable & pedal from the bone yard $25
Fj62 power steering lines used from the bone yard $18
Misc. relays and wiring for starter and glow plugs and fan $25
Used electric radiator fan from the bone yard $15
Fuel Air/Water separator system $85
Custom A/C hoses and Sanden 508 compressor $128

Total Cost $3436.00

Hope this helps.

Don

Last edited:
I have had some people ask about my copy of the Airdog fuel filter system. So I found all my part #s for the filters and the filter bases. I also included the cross reference of 2 micron fuel filters so that you can find one if you are out on the road. Hope this helps.

Fuelfilters.jpg

Fuel Filter Bases and Filters

Wix Filter Base 24770 Or Napa FIL4770 This is the one I used

2 micron fuel filters all interchangeable (threads 1-14 UNS-2B)
Caterpillar Filter 1R-0750
Fleetguard FF5320
Donaldson P551313
Baldwin BF7633 (BF7587, Long Version)
Wix 33528 Or Napa FIL3528 This is the one I used
Luber-Finer LFF3347
ACDelco TP1326
Purolator F65213
Hastings FF1079 (FF1056, Long Version)

Water Fuel separator mounts and filters
Filter Heads (1-12" Thread)
Perma-Cool 81794 High Flow Filter Head (1/2 NPT Inlet / Outlet)
Perma-Cool 81074 Fuel Filter/Water Separator Kit (1/2 NPT Inlet / Outlet)
Perma-Cool 88864 High Performance Filter Head (3/4" NPT Inlet / Outlet)
Fleetguard 142784S (1/2 NPT Inlet / Outlet)

Wix Filter Base 24309 Or NAPA FIL4309 This is the one I used

Fuel/Water Filters

Wix 33123 short 6” filter with drain and Wix 33418 for the 9” long one Both are 12micron filters. This is the one I used

Electric Fuel Pump I used
PUROLATOR HIGH PERFORMANCE FACET FUEL PUMP GOLD I plumbed this one between the tank and the filters to assist in filtration and return of aerated fuel to the tank.

The fittings for these were just common 1/2" NPT brass elbows and one brass nipple to go between the two filter housings.

If you need any advice on how to assemble this system or a diagram of how I did the plumbing, feel free to post up.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited:
Umm, wow.

Luckily I live in Tucson, and may someday get a chance to see this fabulous rig.

You have given me food for thought about what I should do when my 2F bites the dust. Questions for you in regards to the Pima County Smog Nazis - what sort of hoops did you have to do to get the fuel type on the rig swapped over, etc.

Regards

Glenn in Tucson

Thanks for sharing all of your information. What a great swap. Maybe you already shared this and I missed it, but I was wondering what other threads or forums you referenced and asked your questions as you did the swap. It looks to me like you have set the new standard.

Glenn,

Thanks for the kind words and you can see this rig any time you want, just pm me. I live on the northwest side. As far as the smog issue goes, I currently have circumvented it but I'm in the process of getting it doccumented properly. Once I get through the process, I'll let you know the proper route.

slcfj62,

Thanks for the nice comments. A few of the guys on here graciously helped me with advice and guidance as I went along. For the motor, I used the forum on 4BTswaps.com that is specific to this engine. Here is the link to the Isuzu section. Isuzu 4BD1T/2T There are a bunch of guys on that forum that have decades of experience working on this engine and provided me with tons of advice when I was doing my rebuild. Most of the guys on here who have done this conversion are also on that site as well. It is a huge resource for tech data.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
Man, you've got me reading every thread I can find for swapping an Isuzu engine in to my FJ62. You mentioned that you used a downy adapter to mate the new engine to your H55F. I'm sure you have read the thread by astr where he is swapping in an Isuzu 4HE1TC into his FJ62. For an interim test, he was able to bolt his A440F transmission right up to the Isuzu bell housing, even the torque converter mated to the A440F transmission. Do you know if the bell housing for the 4HE1TC is the same as the 4BD1T where it mates with the transmission?

slcfj62,

I wish it was that easy. I believe they are completely different engines. I really want to do this engine in my 80 series and have been trying to figure out the logistics of this as well. An email to Astr would be a great start because I think he has both motors in his shop to try that out. If I recall though they are completely different and even it they did, the starter on that motor faces toward the rear of the vehicle and is really the major stumbling block with that conversion. I would love to have that motor in my 80 if someone would come up with a solution to the tranny issue because it has a lot more hp than the 4BD1T.

As it stands, I am looking at another 4BD1T conversion with a chevy 4L80E adapted to a split case for my 80. The 4L80E you can get an electronic controller for and change the shift points to match the diesel. The A440 you would have to have a diesel valve body installed or send yours to a shop that can convert it's shift pattern to match the diesel's lower rpm needs.

If you come up with a solution to this, let me know. I would rather keep as many of my parts Toyota as I can.

Thanks,

Don

slcfj62,

I wish it was that easy. I believe they are completely different engines. I really want to do this engine in my 80 series and have been trying to figure out the logistics of this as well. An email to Astr would be a great start because I think he has both motors in his shop to try that out. If I recall though they are completely different and even it they did, the starter on that motor faces toward the rear of the vehicle and is really the major stumbling block with that conversion. I would love to have that motor in my 80 if someone would come up with a solution to the tranny issue because it has a lot more hp than the 4BD1T.

As it stands, I am looking at another 4BD1T conversion with a chevy 4L80E adapted to a split case for my 80. The 4L80E you can get an electronic controller for and change the shift points to match the diesel. The A440 you would have to have a diesel valve body installed or send yours to a shop that can convert it's shift pattern to match the diesel's lower rpm needs.

If you come up with a solution to this, let me know. I would rather keep as many of my parts Toyota as I can.

Thanks,

Don

I posted up on astr's thread, and he stated that the 4BD1T engines did not use Aisin transmissions, so the bell housing won't be a direct bolt up for the A440F or A442F. That was a bummer. Its looking like either an H55F or a GM transmission is about the only way to go with this engine. That just seems like too many adapters to use the GM transmissions.

That 4HE1T engine is mighty tempting since it will bolt right up to the A440 transmission, but the funny starter and the exhaust on the wrong side for an FJ62 seem to be a deal killer.

Last edited:
That's a bummer about the trannys. Supposedly there is an overdrive auto that was JDM only. That sure would be nice to find!

I didn't want to overload my existing wiring harness, so most of the items that I have wired up on this truck I have used heavy duty relays.

They are as follows:

The two |Ford solenoids are for the starter and glow plugs. The large silver relay is a 300amp cont.duty for connecting my dual Optimas since this engine only needs one to start, I isolated the other one for a backup. The smaller relays are for the electric radiator fan.
And last of all, thanks to you, the three relays at the front next to the battery are my upgraded headlight relays compliments of your wiring harness schematic. I bought a generic H4 upgrade harness off ebay for $15 and when I got it all wired in, my high beam indicator light didn't work so then I went searching here on mud and found your schematic and then rewired my harness with the three relay system you use. I hope you don't mind that I copied it?

Thanks,

Don

I bought a generic H4 upgrade harness off ebay for $15 and when I got it all wired in, my high beam indicator light didn't work so then I went searching here on mud and found your schematic and then rewired my harness with the three relay system you use. I hope you don't mind that I copied it?

Thanks,

Don

Yo, that's why I posted the schematic. I'm just proud to be a part of your Landcruiser! I've certainly taken away a bunch of value from this thread, so I consider myself paid in full. :D

Is the Downey adaptor still available somewhere? Would like to put an Isuzu diesel in my FJ40 but w/o the adaptor I am not sure how to proceed. Thanks, Don (donholsinger@gmail.com)

Hi Don,

Downey is unfortunately out of business, but Advanced Adapters makes the same bell housing. The one you need is the Chevy to Toyota bell housing and then you need the Isuzudieselswapper.com adapter kit to mate it all together. There is also a cheaper version through 4BDconversions.com that you can use a NV4500 tranny and an Advanced Adapter to toyota transfer case adapter to mate it all together. Either way is a good conversion.

Let me know if you need any other help with it.

Thanks,

Don

SLCfj62,

Thanks for the schematic use then! It really helped me out. I feel the same way. I have gained so much from this website over the years that I am forever indebted to all you guys for all you have contributed. I am just glad that I finally had something to contribute of my own.

Don

Udates and links

Ok, so I have about 15k miles on the conversion and I thought I would give some updates.

I built a snorkel out of carbon fiber a few months back and here is a link to that thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/485105-diy-homemade-carbon-fiber-snorkel.html

A couple of weeks ago I converted to an A440 auto just to prove it could be done before I start on doing the same conversion on my wifes 80 series. No one makes an adapter for an 80 so I had to make my own, plus the :princess: can't be expected to drive a stick, now could she. Anyway, here is the link to that thread for the auto conversion. https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...suzu-4bd1t-swap-part-ii-now-w-a440f-auto.html

Still LOVE this engine! I think it is the perfect fit for a cruiser, especially if you want to go diesel but don't have the $7000 plus to put in a Toyota diesel. I'll have to see how it does in the 80 series though. I may have to crank up the fuel some to match the weight of the 80 series.

Don

Sweet swap, I hadn't seen this thread before. It just so happens that I picked up a 2T yesterday (I'm concerned about that massive oil filter and front drive shaft.) Chances are I'm going to use that filter system you put together, impressive. I might have missed it, but is that "prime" button wired hot so you don't have to turn the ign. on?

Longbow,

great work on the swap.

I recently picked up a Mercedes 300SD 126.120 which has the OM617 turbo diesel engine in it. The car is almost 4000 lb and with this motor it gets 29mpg on the highway which is why I chose it as my new daily driver. If I had it my way I would have this engine (or a 4BD1T) in my 60 and daily drive it instead. The only concern I have is about the lack of torque at low engine speeds before the turbo is fired up. If the 60 had Unimog gearing options it wouldn't be a problem.

Do you feel that the 4BD1T lacks torque at low speeds (~2000rpm)? How does it perform off-road?

by the way, a friend of mine is running 100% veggie oil all the time in his benz....the vegification process on my rig has begun!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom