Deleting the hood blanket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of removing my windshield washer system and noticed that the insulating blanket under the hood looks pretty sorry. Does anything bad happen if you just remove it? It's gotta be just for sound insulation, and I would rather hear my engine anyway.

If I can just remove it, then I can 3D print a beveled mount for LED under-hood lights! That would be the business.

I removed mine like a year ago as it got really old and beat up. I have not noticed any ill effects. The only ill effect I have heard of is the heat from the engine causing the hood paint to wear quicker but for me that is not a concern. I have some dynamat hood liner I will eventually install in there along with some dynamat pads on each triangle area to lower the resonance and noise.

Lots of rigs around here have them removed. No noticeable problems. If you run oversized/agresive Offroad tires you will not notice any additional sound. Some think it allows more heat to radiate out of engine bay in the summer.

Sweet. I think I will rip it off.

I was thinking about heat and the paint fading, but then I realized that if heat harmed the paint, the paint inside the engine bay would be destroyed by now.

The only negative I can think of, is if the blanket keeps the sun from WARMING the engine when you are driving. Maybe it blocks heat from coming in instead of blocking it from coming out?

More evidence for it being only for sound deadening. I know some Poverty Pack Cruisers didn't even have fan clutches.

More evidence for it being only for sound deadening. I know some Poverty Pack Cruisers didn't even have fan clutches.
Huh? Elaborate please.

On what part? 40's from South America and other cash strapped areas had the fan directly connected instead of a fan clutch. I read it here somewhere.

On what part? 40's from South America and other cash strapped areas had the fan directly connected instead of a fan clutch. I read it here somewhere.
Oh, 80 tech, figured we were talking about 80 series. Not just Toyotas from around the world over the years :p

The take away was that Cruisers can vary greatly just for aesthetics. Not everything has an engineering necessity. This thread is to determine if the hood blanket serves an engineering purpose or a aesthetic one. Just like the automatic choke on a carb is, at its root, a convenience feature.

Run mine without. No looking back.

I removed it today, and the biggest change I noticed in a 1 hour drive is that I can hear the fan roaring for a few seconds after taking off from a stop. I guess at idle it locks up and then at speed it eventually unlocks. Neat!

I heard once that in the instance of an engine fire the plastic clips holding it in melt and the "blanket" drops kind of helping to smother/ contain it? Don't know. That's just what I heard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom