Delayed Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm having a weird issue with my 1987 4Runner. Its a SR5, manual, 22re.

When I turn the key to start the truck, sometimes there is a second before it starts cranking over. Once it starts cranking, it cranks strong and fires up and runs just fine. The key seems to work fine, On, ACC, Lock, etc all work as they should and the dash lights come on as normal, when turned to On. But there is that delay between when the key is turned all the way and the starter engages. Yesterday it wouldn't crank at all at first, but on the second attempt it would. Any ideas where I should start looking? Thanks in advance!

Does it have a Clutch Start Cancel switch? Maybe it's getting wonky? Just an idea. Or maybe it's the starter solenoid? What have you checked?

Starter contacts.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

I took out the starter and sure enough, the contacts were worn pretty bad. I replaced with a remanufactured Denso starter and all is good. I’m gonna replace the contacts in the old one and keep for a spare. Thank you for the help!

Interesting... I'm having the same issue, and it has persisted after the starter rebuild/contact replacement.

Interesting... I'm having the same issue, and it has persisted after the starter rebuild/contact replacement.
When I turn the key to start the truck, sometimes there is a second before it starts cranking over.
Delay with the key is usually contacts or plunger. I'm surprised with replacement you are still having an issue. Did you replace the plunger too?

Yep. Contacts and plunger kit off ebay. To add to the mystery, it's even a different starter. In order to reduce downtime, I grabbed a 3VZ starter I had lying around from a 5VZ swap and rebuilt that starter, then swapped them out. So, I'm really thinking the problem is elsewhere.

I did RAD4Runer's repower of the starter relay yesterday. After looking at it, it makes so much more sense and I would really recommend it to everyone. I plan to do it on my the 1UZ swap runner as well. So far, it seems to have worked, but we'll see after a few more days of driving.

Feeling confident that the starter relay re-power mod from RAD4Runner did the trick. Haven't had a delay in days, and it was getting pretty bad before the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom