Deja Vu with KM2's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a few years ago, after running my 305/70/16 KM's for over 120,000 miles, I felt a bad vibration and while slowing down to pull over, my LR tire blew, taking out my flares and bumper end cap :eek:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/tire-wheel-tech/423940-bfg-mt-km2-vs-km-treadwear.html

soldfzjKM1.JPG

fzjnewKM24.JPG

They had plenty of tread left (enough to where I sold the remaining 4 for a $100 bucks a pop)

Well, this morning on the way to the shop, I start getting the same bad vibes and it just kept getting worse and worse :doh:

Pulled over and checked if the wheel bearings were loose since I did a birf repack last week, but they were fine.

Checked the tires and they looked fine too, but I was in tall grass and couldn't really make anything out.

Got off at the next exit and limped to the shop using local roads and when I got there, the LF tire had skipped a belt and had a huge bubble :eek:

KM2goessouth1.JPG

KM2goessouth2.JPG

KM2goessouth3.JPG

KM2goessouth4.JPG

Swapped it out with the spare, but now I have an excuse to step up to 35's :grinpimp:

At just above 100k miles, they still have a bit of tread life left, so I'll be saving them for my off-road trailer build :cool:

Never heard of getting that many miles out of a tire. How? My F350 has BF All terrains on it and have been rotated and good pressures since new and I have to change soon because they are getting bald. Thats with 32k miles.

Are you still going with KM2's after all of the trouble? My BFG AT's are ready for an upgrade and I was thinking about getting 315 KM2's myself.

Never heard of getting that many miles out of a tire. How? My F350 has All terrains on it and have been rotated and good pressures since new and I have to change soon because they are getting bald. Thats with 32k miles.

I've put over 60k on my BFG AT's. If I didn't let my bad alignment go for so long causing one tire to wear funny, I probably could have made it to at least 80k.

Never heard of getting that many miles out of a tire. How? My F350 has BF All terrains on it and have been rotated and good pressures since new and I have to change soon because they are getting bald. Thats with 32k miles.

5 wheel rotation every 3-5k miles following the rotation guide in the owners manual (and yes, the guide actually makes a difference).

Max psi for long distance trips and I don't air down below 40 unless I'm in serious muck :meh:

Does your F350 have twin I-Beams?

Rick

I gotcha. I never have rotated with a 5th tire. My F350 is a 2002 which is a solid axle front .
5 wheel rotation every 3-5k miles following the rotation guide in the owners manual (and yes, the guide actually makes a difference).

Max psi for long distance trips and I don't air down below 40 unless I'm in serious muck :meh:

Does your F350 have twin I-Beams?

Rick

Are you still going with KM2's after all of the trouble? My BFG AT's are ready for an upgrade and I was thinking about getting 315 KM2's myself.

I wouldnt say he has had much trouble if he has got over 100k miles out of them.

I have ~50K on my BFG KM-2's on the 100. They have roughly ~40% tread left. I have beaten the snot out of them on-road and off-road. I destroyed a set of AT's and LTX's in no time. KM-2's wear like iron, howl like hell, and suck in the rain/snow/ice. When I ruined my AT's at 24,000 miles they still looked BRAND new (minus the chunks of rubber missing down to the belt).

I'll buy them again...

I wouldn't say he has had much trouble if he has got over 100k miles out of them.

Long tread wear is great and all but random blowouts for no apparent reason seems like trouble to me. Anecdotal evidence wouldn't stop me from buying them though. :meh:

Long tread wear is great and all but random blowouts for no apparent reason seems like trouble to me. Anecdotal evidence wouldn't stop me from buying them though. :meh:

I guess I just dont see the issue with anything happening to a set of tires with that much life on them. I would say he got his money worth beyond expectations.

For no apparent reason? In my opinion, putting that kind of mileage on a set of tires is borderline irresponsible. This kind of report actually speaks very well for these tires. A tread separation and a slipped belt over 220,000 miles on two sets of tires is incredible.

I'd rather it just wear out than have some unseen structural failure that manifests itself all at once. Who replaces tires before the tread wears out based on mileage?

I've never worn out a set of BFGs, to tell you the truth. I've been running the radials since the very first AT version back in the 70s. I always replace them by the time they're 2/3 worn or so.

To me, the benefits of traction outweigh getting maximum mileage out of a set of tires. Typically, I've tended to swap a new set on before heading out on one of my Western vacations. The last thing you want to be doing is headed across Kansas in August with a set of worn tires and the first thing you want when you get to the mountains in Colorado is plenty of tread.

And they're easier to sell used with moderate tread depth, too.

As for carcass failures at 100,000+? Doesn't bother me, That's more than your money's worth. On the other hand, this can happen to any tire with those kind of miles.

Holy crap i wish my set of tires would last me 120000 (almost 200000km!!!) My sets of tires last around 60000km (roughly 40000 miles). The only tires ive seen wearing that slowly are Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's.

Im guessing those two failures on tires after that long is impressive to say the least, although i'd be weary of running them for so long. How long does it take for you to travel 100000 miles??

Cheers,

Luis

On a side note, now that I have dual winches, I'll be stepping down to AT's

I figure sacrificing a little mud performance will be well worth the lower noise while on the road :meh:

And since most folks here love D-Tracs, that's what I'll be going with :cool:

I would be very very surprised if you even get half what you got out of the BFG. GY uses all there good tech and rubber in tractor steer tires.

I've never worn out a set of BFGs, to tell you the truth. I've been running the radials since the very first AT version back in the 70s. I always replace them by the time they're 2/3 worn or so.

To me, the benefits of traction outweigh getting maximum mileage out of a set of tires. Typically, I've tended to swap a new set on before heading out on one of my Western vacations. The last thing you want to be doing is headed across Kansas in August with a set of worn tires and the first thing you want when you get to the mountains in Colorado is plenty of tread.

And they're easier to sell used with moderate tread depth, too.

As for carcass failures at 100,000+? Doesn't bother me, That's more than your money's worth. On the other hand, this can happen to any tire with those kind of miles.

Well said, and it's this reason why the concept of retreads for passenger cars blows my mind. Not sure that should be DOT legal...

Wow. Run 315/70-17 BFG-AT's on my F-150 SuperCrew. Got 115k out of them with 3 rotations. Still had 3/16" thread left on them. Only reason I swapped them out was for a newish set I picked up.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom