Definitive Auxillary or Sub Tank Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I have searched high and low and called many places in Australia. I have a 2006 LX470. There are no clear answers on what works on my truck. Many people make custom tanks, modify tanks, get SUB tanks, certain ones won't work with later LX or LC 100 series due to emission components. What I wanted to start is a complete list of what will and won't work for the 100 series. I am not sure when the emission components were added to these vehicles. I assume 2003. Please make a list of

1. Complete Replacement Tank for Factory Tank on a 100 Series with Independent Front Suspension (IFS)
2. Sub tank for Pre-Emission 100 Series
3. Sub tank for Post - Emission 100 Series

Fabricating a custom tank...is the easiest part of the project. Then you get the size and shape you want...whether you opt for transfer or replicate OEM pump, etc.

I have a local fabricator that is going to look at my 100 in July to price a custom tank. I don't want to have to transfer, have multiple pumps and gas nozzles and the like. I just want one big tank with ideally 15gal or more increased capacity.

I told him to price the increased expense of making a jig for more than a one off scenario as well but who knows where it will go. Haven't even dropped the truck off yet so he may laugh and tell me no thanks.

I have a 40 gal transfer tank in my 99 and love it. It was a Long Range from many years ago. I would love one on my 04 also but don't want to have to do to a rear swingout for spare.

I could be wrong, but I think the difficulty in the 03+ models is the location of the charcoal filter - seems like it would flood if its inlet is below the highest level of fuel in the aux tank.

@S.CarolinaFZJ80 Long Range America now sells aux tanks that accommodate the '03+ charcoal canister. Would definitely be easier to sell your tank and buy the LRA one.

Thanks @hoser

They do but they are too big for my needs. They have 24 & 40 gal. Aux tanks but their replacement 40 gallon tanks are only for 1999-2005 model years. I have a 2007 & need to keep the spare up underneath as it's a grocery getter / family hauler.
I just want to extend the range for long trips

Thanks @hoser

They do but they are too big for my needs. They have 24 & 40 gal. Aux tanks but their replacement 40 gallon tanks are only for 1999-2005 model years. I have a 2007 & need to keep the spare up underneath as it's a grocery getter / family hauler.
I just want to extend the range for long trips

I'm in the same boat. Why exactly won't a pre '06 tank work?

The emissions box with the vapor canister was moved to the back area forward and above the spare, where the OEM subtank would sit.

That box needs some sort of relocation bracket, if it will fit anywhere. The alternative is to retrofit a 1999-early 2005 engine compartment emissions setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom