Dash Pod Lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
image.jpeg

I've now owned four Land Cruisers that have had dash pods and the light switch has not worked in a single one including my current Cruiser so I have a few questions.
1) Does anyone have one where the light does indeed work and can you provide photos?
2) How many bulbs are inside the pod?
3) What parts of the pod are illuminated?
Thanks

The backlight in my Prado worked, but I don't think I have any photos of it since I replaced it with other gauges. IIRC just the altimeter dial was lit, as the thermometer readout is digital. If you remove the two screws that hold the pod cover on there should be a plug and a regular gauge light in the back of the unit. I think there is just one bulb.

Last edited:
View attachment 1445398
I've now owned four Land Cruisers that have had dash pods and the light switch has not worked in a single one including my current Cruiser so I have a few questions.
1) Does anyone have one where the light does indeed work and can you provide photos?
2) How many bulbs are inside the pod?
3) What parts of the pod are illuminated?
Thanks
You don't need an altimeter - plenty of separation, no worries.

On the other hand, one of these might come in handy......

upload_2017-4-21_15-15-22.png

Last edited:
The backlight in my Prado worked, but I don't think I have any photos of it since I replaced it with other gauges. IIRC just the altimeter dial was lit, as the thermometer readout is digital. If you remove the two screws that hold the pod cover on there should be a plug and a regular gauge light in the back of the unit. I think there is just one bulb.
Thank you ......

Hello Charles / @1978HJ45 ,

From my FZJ73, when I cleaned the pod and replaced the bulbs.

FZJ73 11.7 3.JPG

FZJ73 11.7 6.JPG

FZJ73 11.7 2.JPG

I did not remove the front plate, though. Another item for the to-do list...

Juan

Juanj
Does the pod lights dim with the instrument panel. If it does it will make it easy to hook up my aftermarket gauge lighting to this loom plug.?

Juanj
Does the pod lights dim with the instrument panel. If it does it will make it easy to hook up my aftermarket gauge lighting to this loom plug.?

Hello @ozcrusier ,

My panel does not have a dimmer.

The pod lights do turn on with the rest of the panel, though. It is possible that a dimmer would affect them.

There is also a small on/off switch right of the altimeter adjust knob. It is used to keep the pod lights off regardless of the main panel.

Juan

I wish had an inclinometer.

image.jpeg

I figured if I was going to replace a blown bulb I might as well upgrade to LED.

Hello,

Looks good.

Juan

The light works on mine but kinda dim so I just leave it off.

My boss just got himself a new 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro and was showing off the digital inclinometer in it between the tach and speedometer as if it was something new. I told him my 1986 cruiser has the same thing and it seemed to burst his bubble. :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom