Dash Cracks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dogwashetc.com
Hello folks. I have a 1991 Land Cruiser with a seriously cracked dash. I have several deep gashes. I know I could buy a dash cover but I was hoping to replace it with an OEM or equivalent dash. I've also seen a tutorial of how to repair cracks but I'm not sure I'd like to invest the time. So if anyone has any idea what my best chances are finding one please let me know. I've checked ebay and car-parts.com. Furthermore maybe someone on the forum knows someone that can fix it in New England? Thank you.

I had the same situation on my '95...just one long crack right on top of the cluster and my OCD just couldn't handle it....I thought of fixing it but I know it will always show, so I got lucky and was able to source one locally for a great price.....

You can pull dash and remove the vinyl from the top pad then wrap it in felt from a craft store then coat it in several coats of fiberglass resin and some matt. then a little filler and sanding and spray it with some monstaliner! i did mine and its awesome!

Source a good used dash then get a mat to cover it. More and more of these are failing due to solar cooking under that nice big windshield.

You can pull dash and remove the vinyl from the top pad then wrap it in felt from a craft store then coat it in several coats of fiberglass resin and some matt. then a little filler and sanding and spray it with some monstaliner! i did mine and its awesome!

Picts please!

Picts please!
1488253491150-958288654.jpg

How does it look installed? Do you get lots of glare? My dash pad is still good, but when it cracks I like this option.

Ill get some installed pics tomorrow. i dont have any issues as far as glare goes i guess because of the angles on the dash.

I had the ever common "crack dead center over the cluster" in the LX450.

I went full ghetto & filled it with caulk - plenty of shades of tan at Ace, and it's hid by the top of the steering wheel when driving.

It came from a life in NV, then to WA - so I was fairly sure the cracking was done once brought here. But I wasn't going for showroom on it, it was a used wheeler 80 with some mods that were never going back (4x4 labs bumper/frame bob mainly).

Ghetto - check!

Decent result - double check!

91-94 dash pads are discontinued. If you do find a sound used one be very careful with it as it will be very fragile. Avoid twisting and bending. Cold weather makes the plastic more brittle as well.

Is that a giant piece of cheese cloth?

91-94 dash pads are discontinued. If you do find a sound used one be very careful with it as it will be very fragile. Avoid twisting and bending. Cold weather makes the plastic more brittle as well.

Panic over....things like "cold" haven't been seen in these part for years....:flipoff2:

Is that a giant piece of cheese cloth?
What you see in the pic is a skim coat of body filler before prime. I peeles off the cracking vinyl and was left with a thin layer of foam. Then i wrapped that with felt from hobby lobby. Next mix up fiberglass resin and saturate the felt with resin using a paint brush then add a few layers of fiberglass matt as you go being sure to saturate everything with the resin. After this all cures scuff it good with 80 grit sandpaper and then you can begin shaping it up with a thin coat of the body filler then i prumed and sprayed monstaliner. Two years later it still looks perfect. I will get some pics of it and post up

That looks much better than a bunch of cracks. Good solution for a difficult to solve problem...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom