Dash cam install on LX 570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I like to install a dash cam on my 2014 LX 570. I came across this YouTube video showing how he tapped into the power in the rearview mirror. I was wondering if this procedure can be done on the LX 570.

Thank you.

I like to install a dash cam on my 2014 LX 570. I came across this YouTube video showing how he tapped into the power in the rearview mirror. I was wondering if this procedure can be done on the LX 570.

Thank you.
I ran power from an add-a-tap on the main fuse box under the hood and routed inside and thru the dash to get to my Gamiviti accessory tray. Would be an easy run up the A pillar and to the mirror taking that approach. Not sure if you’re wanting to skip that part and just tap something nearby, but having a dedicated power source with a fuse appealed to me.

ETA mine is a 2013 LX570.

I ran power from an add-a-tap on the main fuse box under the hood and routed inside and thru the dash to get to my Gamiviti accessory tray. Would be an easy run up the A pillar and to the mirror taking that approach. Not sure if you’re wanting to skip that part and just tap something nearby, but having a dedicated power source with a fuse appealed to me.

ETA mine is a 2013 LX570.
It was also pretty easy (since I’m not so mechanically adept) to add a fuse tap to the passenger side fuse box in the front foot-well and then run the wire up through the passenger side A pillar.

I tapped into the interior fuse panel. I wanted to have a dedicated fuse for it. I have 4 dash cams: front, rear, and 2 rear sides. I've been wanting to do a video and show this to the community.

Many way to skin a cat. All the approaches above could work.

Personally, I would not tap the rearview as that circuit is sized and designed for the loads already present. You're assuming there's enough margin on that circuit to support a dashcam, and while very possible, it's just as possible with some higher power dashcams might draw enough to blow the original circuit.

There's two interior fuse boxes under the dash at the footwell behind the cover with unused circuits that an add-an-tap can pull from.

I'm pretty sure the fuse box under the driver footwell are all switched on with the ignition in the on position. The passenger footwell is constant on. Choose the source that is appropriate for your use case. Then run the wire up along the door trim and headliner. You'll need to remove A-piller cover (10mm bolts under the grab handle), to run the wire under the curtain airbag.
1697509575178.png

Many way to skin a cat. All the approaches above could work.

Personally, I would not tap the rearview as that circuit is sized and designed for the loads already present. You're assuming there's enough margin on that circuit to support a dashcam, and while very possible, it's just as possible with some higher power dashcams might draw enough to blow the original circuit.

There's two interior fuse boxes under the dash at the footwell behind the cover with unused circuits that an add-an-tap can pull from.

I'm pretty sure the fuse box under the driver footwell are all switched on with the ignition in the on position. The passenger footwell is constant on. Choose the source that is appropriate for your use case. Then run the wire up along the door trim and headliner. You'll need to remove A-piller cover (10mm bolts under the grab handle), to run the wire under the curtain airbag.
View attachment 3458055
Thank you so much for the image. It helps a lot. I will have to look at my 2014 to see if it's in the same location as yours. If it's constant power and the dash cam is set to record whenever there is something happening, wouldn't this drain the battery of the vehicle?

Thank you so much for the image. It helps a lot. I will have to look at my 2014 to see if it's in the same location as yours. If it's constant power and the dash cam is set to record whenever there is something happening, wouldn't this drain the battery of the vehicle?

Yes. Most cams these days will have some kind of power management to prevent that. Also some cams are designed to work in a low power state when parked. So choose your source depending on what you need.

Not sure if this helps in any way but I bought one of these plug and play adapters when I installed the dash cam in my GX and it made the process *extremely* easy

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Not sure if this helps in any way but I bought one of these plug and play adapters when I installed the dash cam in my GX and it made the process *extremely* easy

I did this in mine. It was pretty easy but did require a test light to find the correct wires to tap into. Very tidy. Mine is only on with key power though.

Has anyone ever consider power battery bank for their dash cam parking mode? I found this YouTube video that talks about Dashcam Battery Packs for Parking Recording but it's so expensive for just around 6,000 plus milliamp. I'm looking at a Power-Bank-Solar-Charger - 42800mAh and it's about $40. What am I missing here?
Link that explains it here: , but TLDR is the battery chemistry is different. The dashcam batteries can handle extreme heat and cold better than a standard LiIon pack and are more stable.

Link that explains it here: , but TLDR is the battery chemistry is different. The dashcam batteries can handle extreme heat and cold better than a standard LiIon pack and are more stable.

Thank you, much appreciated!

Just curious if anyone has done a YouTube video on the A-pillar trim removal on a LX 570. I believed my 2014 LX has airbags on the a-pillar so I am curious how it's done so I don't accidentally trigger it when removing the trim and routing the cable behind the airbags.

Just curious if anyone has done a YouTube video on the A-pillar trim removal on a LX 570. I believed my 2014 LX has airbags on the a-pillar so I am curious how it's done so I don't accidentally trigger it when removing the trim and routing the cable behind the airbags.
disconnect ur battery FIRST and by the time you get the tools and plastic trim off, there should be no residual current left to trigger curtain airbag deployment. Just be mindful of your cable routing as you mentioned.

disconnect ur battery FIRST and by the time you get the tools and plastic trim off, there should be no residual current left to trigger curtain airbag deployment. Just be mindful of your cable routing as you mentioned.
Thanks, that's very helpful! By the way, if I disconnect my battery, I will lose my radio settings but nothing else like vehicle settings, correct?

Your gas mileage will reset.

Thank you.
What solution did you end up going with?

I'm on a '13 LX570 and may pull the trigger on the 10 pin adapter, assuming it doesn't provide constant power to the dash cam. Running a Garmin Mini 2, fwiw.

I am considering the power battery bank for parking mode. However, I have not decided on the brand and model of a dash came yet. I just saw the Nextbase iQ Dashcam and I'm quite intrigued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom