Daily Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still thinking about attending the VA Wheel In and John Smith is also interested. Anybody else from ALCA thinking about coming?

Where's a good place to buy a complete 3rd. My FJC rear diff went tits up this weekend.

Sounds like I lost a tooth on the ring. Not sure what else (if anything) is damaged. These western PA roads must be tougher than they look... Can't blame wheeling as it's been 6 months (CMCC) since I've wheeled. It must not like the ice.

Dealer is saying there was mud on the breather so they are assuming water in the diff from all my "mudding", so it's probably abuse and a reason to not cover under warranty. (they didn't even look at the oil??) Supposedly rep will make the call sometime this week. I'm not done arguing with them if they deny the warranty work, but I'll need to get it on the road soon.

If they deny, guess I'll just pull the rear shaft and drive it home. Wish I had more room in the garage.

Everything is still going to turn even if you pull the rear shaft.

Randy's Ring & Pinion is a good source for a new third.

Before you do that Bill, you may want to check if there's a recall. I seem to remember a problem with the teeth breaking on some of the FJCs and being replaced by Toyota. Perhaps the Bruisers group can help.

And what do they think these damn things are bought for? Especially when their adverts advocate offroading!

Everything is still going to turn even if you pull the rear shaft.

I know it'll turn. As it is now, it's only making noise and thumping under torque. When coasting, it's OK. If I run it front wheel drive to get it home and take it easy, I think it'll get me there.

Before you do that Bill, you may want to check if there's a recall. I seem to remember a problem with the teeth breaking on some of the FJCs and being replaced by Toyota. Perhaps the Bruisers group can help.

And what do they think these damn things are bought for? Especially when their adverts advocate offroading!

No recalls, just a lot of people with the same issues. Toyota replaced the original R&P part numbers in their system with new part numbers. Supposedly the early builds were brittle.

Will wait to see what the dealer says.

Thanks all!

Bill, Keep me posted...
I have an extra Camery fitting if you want to do the rear breather mod...let me know.

Well, I had it towed home. Stealer says diff was full of water. Warranty denied due to abuse. They saved the oil for me. If there's water in it, it's the invisible kind. They said it just hasn't separated yet because they just drained it the day before. I told them it sat for 5 days before they drained it. It is not milky at all and it's as viscous as the day I put it in. No sign of any water in the container at all...
I'm sending it out for oil analysis and taking lots of pictures of the diff to send to arbitration in Texas. I'm keeping all my receipts. Doubt it'll do any good, but I'm not going to roll over for them.
Already have the new Ring and Pinion and a master rebuild kit ordered and en-route. Should have it Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. Will be pulling the 3rd in the evenings during the week. Lot's of junk to pull off to pull the shafts to get the 3rd removed.

Thanks for the offer, Matt. Not going to worry about it for now. The 40 is going to be my wheeler once it's done. Still shooting for Spring.

What was that dealers name?

Can't believe I forgot to mention Laurel Toyota of Johnstown. Part of the Laurel Group. Of Johnstown Pa (Pennsylvania). Laurel Toyota. If your vehicle is dirty, if your tires have tread, if you use it for work or for play, they will call it abuse and won't honor the warranty. That's what I hear anyway. :D
And here I am. Just took delivery of a plasma cutter last week and I haven't even been able to play with it yet. Thanks LAUREL!!

So Em and I bought an '08 Brick red FJ Cruiser with upgrade two package... no pics at the moment... it is salty white:mad: but I had the stealership add 4 stock size BFG AT's, Ipod interface, and the OE hidden hitch. I'll post up pics soon.. it is so NICE :cool:

I'll be trailering the Sami up to PA with it to wheel, should be fun and wow isn't it wierd not to be driving a rig with 200K+ miles on it :grinpimp:

He's baaaaaaack

So Em and I bought an '08 Brick red FJ Cruiser with upgrade two package... no pics at the moment... it is salty white:mad: but I had the stealership add 4 stock size BFG AT's, Ipod interface, and the OE hidden hitch. I'll post up pics soon.. it is so NICE :cool:

I'll be trailering the Sami up to PA with it to wheel, should be fun and wow isn't it wierd not to be driving a rig with 200K+ miles on it :grinpimp:

when are you planning on coming up here?

saturday, may 2nd is the first rcrocs event:cool:
and friday, may 15th is the KOH(king of the hammers) qualifier race at rausch creek:steer:

we'll be running in both if at all possible:grinpimp:

the KOH qualifier is for the 2010 KOH race in CA...so there isnt a later race;p

the second RCROCS event is june 13th;)

I knew it was only a matter of time before you had an FjC....:grinpimp:
Congrats...

Matt

Just don't drive it offroad... ;) Just Kidding. You probably have good dealers out your way.. The brick red is starting to grow on me. Do you have a set of 37"s picked out for it yet?

I am stoked for the FJC.. I like driving it and it is damn nice to drive a modern truck at times...
No 37's (yet : ) ) I am waiting until I am out of the warranty period (100K) before any real wheeling, the Mrs. would absolutely do me in... I am not sure how she handles me now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom