Builds DA Build, Story of the Blue HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm tackling my motor/trans mounts tomorrow, and doing some reading it seems guys have had success pulling the loosened fan shroud away from the rad and sneaking the fan clutch out on the right side...but looking at my truck I've got the upper rad hose and a battery box making that look all but impossible. What was your technique to get the fan clutch out of there, did you fully remove both battery boxes and the fan shroud?

I'm tackling my motor/trans mounts tomorrow, and doing some reading it seems guys have had success pulling the loosened fan shroud away from the rad and sneaking the fan clutch out on the right side...but looking at my truck I've got the upper rad hose and a battery box making that look all but impossible. What was your technique to get the fan clutch out of there, did you fully remove both battery boxes and the fan shroud?

I had mine all apart at the time but you should be able to get it out if you do the following.

Fan shroud only bolts on top with the 2 bolts, take those off.
Remove the upper rad hose from the radiator.

Loosen the fan nuts before you loosen the alternator belts.

The fan shroud should move enough to get the fan out. You shouldn't have to remove the battery boxes (they are a pain). Fan shroud has 2 tabs that clip into the radiator on the bottom. The trans cooler hose must be unclipped off the shroud as well. Fan and shroud can be pulled together straight up and out of the engine compartment.

I actually just got the fan on the workbench, ended up having to loosen both battery boxes, and I was able to slip it out on the driver's side with the shroud in place. Had me stumped for a minute.

You said previously to remove the fan and shroud before lifting the driveline to do the mounts, is there any reason the shroud can't stay put for that now that the fan is out?

I actually just got the fan on the workbench, ended up having to loosen both battery boxes, and I was able to slip it out on the driver's side with the shroud in place. Had me stumped for a minute.

You said previously to remove the fan and shroud before lifting the driveline to do the mounts, is there any reason the shroud can't stay put for that now that the fan is out?
You should be fine leaving the shroud in now that you have the fan out.

You should be fine leaving the shroud in now that you have the fan out.

Looking at things a bit closer, there's really no way around pulling the upper rad hose off to do this, is there? I was hoping to avoid that, and with that done the rad shroud is pretty well out anyways, lol.

IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
I recently purchased a 200 series so work on the 81 has slowed a bit.
My latest mods include new rear lower control arm bushings. I went with the flexible white line poly bushings. So far I have been pleased with the results ( I hate going aftermarket but they are easy enough to change out if needed). My ride on highway improved greatly.

Next I had to get rid of the front driveline vibrations from the lift angles. So a new Tatton DC driveshaft was fitted in place and what a difference that made.

image.jpeg
Blue is the best colour.

I hope I am almost done base-lining the 81.
Over the last few months I went to town on the beast.

Injector Pump done by DFIS in Portland.
New Melett turbo CHRA. I'm not interested in running 26 psi so I decided against a G turbo.
Dawes boost controller to dial it up to 12ish psi.
New radiator
New Coolant hoses all factory parts (these were a PITA to locate) except Gates for the rear heater hoses.
Packed fan clutch
Motor Mounts
Intake manifold gaskets
4 new Pioneer speakers

On the to do list:
New radio head unit
Repaint front bumper
Install glowshift 3 in 1 gauge.
Sliders
30mm front spring spacers

I noticed that you or PO blanked off your ACSD. I know it doesn't get that cold in Portland but did you notice anything in the winter? I just did mine and I over in Bend so I am wondering what effect it will have when it starts getting cold again.
Also I am thinking of getting my Injector pump rebuilt just as a preventative measure, were you happy with the work DFIS did? what was the cost? Turn around time?
Your rig is looking amazing

The only thing I noticed when removing the ACSD was that it was a bit more smoky on cold start. Even on colder mornings there were no issues starting the engine. DFIS did a dyno test on the injector pump and it was all good and since it wasn't leaking they did not recommend a rebuild of the pump. They performed a few adjustments on it and it ran great afterwards. I would prob send the injectors down to Denco. All my injectors got new tips on them but you never really know if they did the dual stage inspection or if they used Denso parts or aftermarket.
Turn around time was a week on the injectors and a few days on the pump since it did not need a rebuild.

I have since sold the 81 to another MUD member who is enjoying it to its full potential.

Here is my new project:
LC and boat.jpg

The only thing I noticed when removing the ACSD was that it was a bit more smoky on cold start. Even on colder mornings there were no issues starting the engine. DFIS did a dyno test on the injector pump and it was all good and since it wasn't leaking they did not recommend a rebuild of the pump. They performed a few adjustments on it and it ran great afterwards. I would prob send the injectors down to Denco. All my injectors got new tips on them but you never really know if they did the dual stage inspection or if they used Denso parts or aftermarket.
Turn around time was a week on the injectors and a few days on the pump since it did not need a rebuild.

I have since sold the 81 to another MUD member who is enjoying it to its full potential.

Here is my new project:
View attachment 1794251

That is a sweet set up! Nice work on the 200 series. It must of been hard to see the 81 go with all that work you put into it. That thing was tip top.
Thats a good call on sending the injectors to Denco. Their price seem fair as long as shipping doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
My skills are not on par with pulling the pump so I was thinking of sending it out to have a shop pull it and send it over to DFIS with a rebuild kit on the ready. I was thinking of having Willamette boulevard pull the pump. Do you have any info on them being a Portland land cruiser enthusiast? Seems like they have some experience with diesels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom