CV Boot leaked Grease? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys today I was flushing my break fluid and when I got to the front drivers side I noticed grease all over the place and it looks like it came from the CV boot.... :( There doesn't seem to be any rips or tears on the boor and the CV does make any noises when I drive. What could be the problem? Is there an easy fix like just re-greasing it? and if so how do I do that? Thank you!!!

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Looks like you might have to just replace the clamps on the boots, search PFRAN CV Clamps and have a look at the FAQ. The job is pretty easy, from what I'm told, you basically release the tabs on the current boot clamp with a screwdriver- then snip off the old clamp with tin snips. Put new clamp on, and tighten with a clamp tool. My driver's side is leaking as well and I plan on installing a new clamp myself.

Looks like you might have to just replace the clamps on the boots, search PFRAN CV Clamps and have a look at the FAQ. The job is pretty easy, from what I'm told, you basically release the tabs on the current boot clamp with a screwdriver- then snip off the old clamp with tin snips. Put new clamp on, and tighten with a clamp tool. My driver's side is leaking as well and I plan on installing a new clamp myself.
Ditto this, I just did it and stopped the oozing. I wiped up 1st so I could see any future leakage. The pfrans cv clamps tighten with a screw driver and are solid bands with a formed thread so the screw doesn't damage the boot. One :banana: and I did it with the wheel off for easy access, but it's not hard if you come in from below.

Does the boot slide back easily and reveal the space to add the grease?

Thanks guys. How do I go about putting more grease in? Once I have the clamps off do I just put some into the cv boot? And what kind of grease do I use? Thanks everyone!

You can pull the boot back and use brake cleaner to clean ALL the grease making sure its nice and shiny. Then pack grease in the tullip by hand. Then cover and clamp. Mobile 1 will work just fine. There site can help you pick the right one.

Cool thank you! I just don't want to mess this up because a full CV job is expensive and time consuming haha.

Time consuming yes but not expensive- about $125 in parts & cleaner, towels. ( Toyota reboot kit is about $55 per side comes with remeasured grease for inner & outer tulip, boots, lock rings, and the proper bands).

Your leaking boots are giving you warning that they are near service limit. They loose elasticity over time, leak and then tear. Re-banding, filling with grease will buy you some time but its a temporary fix. Unfortunately, you don't know how much grease has leaked out, if its been contaminated at all, and pumping in new grease into old is not the best strategy. Cleaning the old out, and installing fresh ( moly based like Valvoline syn-blend) is a better step.

Be careful not to pump in too much grease: this will cause the boot to split.

Time consuming yes but not expensive- about $125 in parts & cleaner, towels. ( Toyota reboot kit is about $55 per side comes with remeasured grease for inner & outer tulip, boots, lock rings, and the proper bands).

Your leaking boots are giving you warning that they are near service limit. They loose elasticity over time, leak and then tear. Re-banding, filling with grease will buy you some time but its a temporary fix. Unfortunately, you don't know how much grease has leaked out, if its been contaminated at all, and pumping in new grease into old is not the best strategy. Cleaning the old out, and installing fresh ( moly based like Valvoline syn-blend) is a better step.

Be careful not to pump in too much grease: this will cause the boot to split.

Damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom