Cv Axles problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, hopefully I can get some answers here or some advice. So I have a 98 Land cruiser:

Dobinsons 2.5 long travel shocks
Dobinsons heavy duty torsion bars
Dobinsons UCAs
Dobinsons springs
35’s on KO2s

I’m on my 5th set of cv axles. I don’t know what else to do or how to fix the issue. My boots keep tearing (replaced) then they were grinding when turning or going up an incline (replaced) and now they are constantly popping. I’ve researched a lot of places but I can’t find a direct answer to how to fix this issue. Here are some pics of the angles that I’m at right now. The only thing I haven’t messed with are the torsion bars.

1DF3F99E-AA67-4CB4-8B05-5D4A2498F363.jpeg

9D2025DC-A9AF-43A1-82B7-9A77780092AB.jpeg

Hey everyone, hopefully I can get some answers here or some advice. So I have a 98 Land cruiser:

Dobinsons UCAs
Dobinsons springs
35’s on KO2s

I’m on my 5th set of cv axles. I don’t know what else to do or how to fix the issue. My boots keep tearing (replaced) then they were grinding when turning or going up an incline (replaced) and now they are constantly popping. I’ve researched a lot of places but I can’t find a direct answer to how to fix this issue. Here are some pics of the angles that I’m at right now. The only thing I haven’t messed with are the torsion bars.

View attachment 2631006

View attachment 2631007
Sorry and also I have the Dobinsons Didf drop kit

Are you chewing through aftermarket or new OEM axles?

Aftermarket axles and lifts tend to play poorly together. You may elect to pony up for OEM axles.

Do you guys know what online dealership sells the OEM's cheap?

I’m going through aftermarket ones like crazy. But yes I will need to get OEM and probably drop the front down about 1/2 inch

Dobinsons UCAs
Dobinsons springs
35’s on KO2s

View attachment 2631006

View attachment 2631007

Are you running a drop diff kit? Sorry if I missed it.

Diff drop kit and OEM axles. You'll be doing this a lot if you're running aftermarket CV's.

There isn't a "Cheap" place for OEM axles other than finding a set of stockers at a junk yard and rebuilding them.

Are you running a drop diff kit? Sorry if I missed it.
Yes I have the Dobinsons Diff drop installed.

Diff drop kit and OEM axles. You'll be doing this a lot if you're running aftermarket CV's.

There isn't a "Cheap" place for OEM axles other than finding a set of stockers at a junk yard and rebuilding them.
I have the diff drop kit installed. I am ordering OEM axles today. And I'll lower adjust the torsion bars down about half an inch to somewhat level out the CV angles.

Would y'all mind posting some pics of your CV set ups? I just want to see what the difference is. Thanks.

Chances are pretty high that simply switching to OEM axles will decrease your axle turnover by about, I dunno, a factor a gazillion.

Last edited:
Camelback and McGeorge are the go to dealerships for cheaper online parts. AFAIK.

OP, Can you do us all a favor?

Can you peel back the busted boot and see if the CV axle is tripod (3 ball) or rzeppa(6 ball) and take a pic too? Chances are that its the cheaper tripod, as theres been debate on here that the aftermarket CVs are rzeppa.

I know OEM is rzeppa and the aftermarket axles I've had have been tripod.

Here's my CV angle with just over a 2" lift with a Trail-Tailor drop diff and new OEM axles and Dobinsons.

1617203652611.png

Do you guys know what online dealership sells the OEM's cheap?
Salinas Toyota or Norm Reeve’s Toyota in San Diego. They are cheaper than McGeorge Toyota and will match McGeorge’s prices. Also check out CVJ they reman genuine Toyota CV but they rebuild them to meet the needs of 100 series that are lifted and used in off-roading applications. They have off-road specific to accommodate for your lift angles. Those would be the 2 strongest options compared to the aftermarket crap that our LC really love to let us know that they are rejecting them.

Last edited:
My experience with CVJ is about 50/50. They aren't exactly an inexpensive option for rebuilds but seem to be relatively well done - but still use aftermarket boots, strapping, etc. I don't know if they actually use OEM Toyota rebuild kits or something else - maybe?

I've had a decent amount of experience with them, having used two sets myself and probably a half dozen sets across various friends vehicles. It's hard to say if they would hold up better if they weren't subjected to the abuse they were - but my OEM CV's from Toyota haven't had an issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom