1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cuttin up the lx

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by wv_lx450, Jan 15, 2012.

1. UWdave

UWdave

Any chance you want to sell those bump stop extensions?

2. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

Actually, yea. I have two sets of them for the rear. One set has never been opened. They are the 6" ones

3. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

IMAG3552.jpg IMAG3553.jpg

here they are. cant remember where i got them. had some for my truck and for my brothers truck before he sold it. cant find them online anywhere now and cant remember what they cost. i want to say they were ~$60

how about
    $40 plus shipping for the brand new set
    and $25 plus shipping for the used set (has one good bump stop attached, other is missing the rubber part)

let me know if thats fair (or make an offer) and if you want one of the sets.

4. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

Pics of what i found in my hydro ram for thelakerat.

IMAG3556.jpg IMAG3558.jpg IMAG3559.jpg

5. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

Holy cow! What did you do to that poor ram?!

6. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

No idea. I cant see anywhere that that piece could have come from. Theres nothing that appears to broken so im not sure what is going on.

7. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

After looking at it more closely, im betting that is whats left of a lock nut that holds the piston to the rod. I believe the rod is supposed to extend thru the piston but its backed out. When i looked closer, the rod is not fully seated down in the piston. I can thread the rod out but it wont go in any further than it is in the pic, assuming because the threads on the piston are slightly smashed on the end. Anyone ever see the lock nut come off like that?

GLTHFJ60 likes this.
  8. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

That makes sense, and no, never seen that. Unless you opened the ram up between purchase and install I'd say there's a problem with the manufacturing of the ram. I'd contact the company you bought it from and ask them!

9. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

I never opened it before, actually never even seen the inside of one til now. It looks like i could just put a new nut on it if i can clean up the threads enough to get it back through the piston. Its been on the truck for a long time so its kind of weird that it happened this far into its life.

GLTHFJ60 likes this.
  10. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

Got it threaded back through the piston so it was definitely the lock nut that fell off and got crushed in there. Doesnt appear to have damaged anything other than a few dents in the end of the piston and cylinder. No scratches inside the cylinder that i can see. Gonna find a nut for it and throw it back together to see how it does.
    IMAG3562.jpg

IMAG3561.jpg

This is what it looked like when i pulled it for comparison
    IMAG3559.jpg

GLTHFJ60 likes this.
  11. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

Put a new lock nut on it with some red loctite for a lil extra insurance. Not sure how much it will help being submerged in trans fluid all the time

IMAG3563.jpg

12. Wrench

Wrench One Bashed Up 80

13. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

Didnt do any welding on it. I was afraid it might warp the piston or mess up the seals. Its a metal locking nut so it will probably be ok, i hope any way ha ha. I never found anyone that had this nut come off while i was searching about it. Im not sure how this happened

14. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

anyone ever break anything inside one of these transfer cases? i was attempting to climb a 10ish ft high rock at the entrance of a trail yesterday and heard a decent pop when i landed one time. no weird noises on the next 3 attempts and i gave up and took the bypass. wheeled for a couple more hours and then hit the gravel road back to camp. when i got on the road i unlocked the center diff like usual, nothing out of the ordinary until i went around a turn, heard some binding and metal clanging noises and the truck kind of bucked a few times. i can recreate the noise/binding condition by switching from reverse to drive or hitting the throttle, letting off and hitting again but only randomly, doesnt do it every time.

i jacked it up in the garage (all 4 wheels) and the center diff wont fully disengage. the actuator runs but the front and back are still connected most of the time. i can roll the back wheels back and forth and make it disengage from the front for a second but after rolling them a certain amount it catches in the transfer case and starts turning the front again. you can actually feel something clunk and the front starts turning with the rear.

the viscous coupler is removed so normally i can spin the front and rear independently of each other.

any ideas? gonna tear it apart in the next few weeks hopefully and investigate.

15. swankstar

swankstar

Just read through all this and don't know if I missed it; is your front axle moved forward? @wv_lx450

16. wv_lx450

wv_lx450

yeah, its forward about 3in. its actually moved a little to far forward, i get a lot of rubbing under the headlights but have plenty room toward the firewall.

17. Wrench

Wrench One Bashed Up 80

Wow my guess would be the VC but you had that removed so I don;t know. These things are tough. I never heard of anyone breaking one. Will be interesting to see what it is.

GLTHFJ60 likes this.