Custom 80 Rear Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I had a chance to build another set of my storage drawers for a local to CT. Mud member. I will be installing in his 80 next week at my shop. Customer made a couple changes and upgraded to locking pull handles, and drawer dividers. It was another fun build. Now I have a template for the 80 series for future builds. These units are rock solid and my favorite mod in my 80. Amazing for camping/sleeping in the back and a ton of organized storage.

Includes:
- Solid 3/4" AC ply construction
- All ply wood edges have 1/8" round over done with router. No sharp edges
- Side compartments flip up for easy to reach storage
- Front compartment (directly behind rear seat) Latch style lock
- European style hinges on all compartments
- 2 drawers. NO slides. Compression fit. Easy to use. Nothing to wear out or rattle. Maximizes size of drawer. Bottom panel of drawers are recessed 1/4" so the drawer glides on the two 3/4" wide side panels.
-4 Ring tie down anchors. Flush mount
-Locking pull latches on drawers. Flush mounted
-Entire unit is finished with 3 coats of acrylic clear coat. Sanded in between coats for a cabinet grade finish. Clear coat underneath all carpeting as well. This unit will stand up to lots of abuse.
-4 metric bolts and washers included for install. Unit bolts down to OEM 3rd row seat holes in body.
-Drawer interiors : 29 1/4" long X 19" wide X 7 3/4" deep
-Front storage behind rear seats : 42" long X 8" wide X 8" deep
-Flip up sides: 40 1/2" long X 8" wide. Not square. Wheel wells are on interior
-unit weighs 130 lbs. Complete.

Base price as shown on first page is $1400
*** EDIT *** LOCKING LATCH PULLS NOW INCLUDED ****
+$0000 for locking pull latch as shown. Included in base price is drawer pulls the same as anchors with no latch. IF pulls are desired deduct $50 from total.
+$40 for two extra tie down anchors in the middle of box for a total of 6.
+$90 for drawer dividers (as shown). Included in base price is no dividers.
I am willing to due other custom mods to fit people's needs.

****UPDATE.
SHIPPING AS FOLLOWS:
WEST COAST: $260
MID WEST: $225
EAST COAST: $200
FULLY ASSEMBLED AND FINISHED. JUST PUT ON SIDE WINGS AND SCREW ON DRAWER FACES WITH SUPPLIED HARDWARE.

2-4 week wait time for build plus shipping time.

*****Update: Carpet and fabric samples on pg.3 post 56. High quality marine grade carpet.

Link to my for sale thread on Yankee Toys club forum with more PICS of original unit I have installed in my 80
Interest in Custom Rear Cargo Storage
Check out the finish pics from this build.
SNSbuildingremodeling.com
IMG_20140515_210220_zpsb11d70b7.jpg

IMG_20140515_210158_zps110939f0.jpg

IMG_20140515_205911_zpscb0bd0bd.jpg

IMG_20140515_210525_zps92832612.jpg

IMG_20140515_205632_zpsf7f08b82.jpg

IMG_20140515_205949_zpscd5cd199.jpg

IMG_20140515_210010_zps9e28dca1.jpg

IMG_20140515_210123_zps45905428.jpg

IMG_20140515_205746_zpsc8081e7c.jpg

IMG_20140515_205833_zps721e5606.jpg

IMG_20140515_205702_zps7391f5fe.jpg

Last edited:
Ha, No dimensions. I could possibally come up with a traced print and instructions for availability. Haven't thought about that though. I just want to build them for more mudders. Not to overshoot it but this is no easy task start to complete. I am a builder by trade and it still takes me a lot of hrs to complete.

I will be building a set for a 2003-2008 4runner soon too.

Ha, No dimensions. I could possibally come up with a traced print and instructions for availability. Haven't thought about that though. I just want to build them for more mudders. Not to overshoot it but this is no easy task start to complete. I am a builder by trade and it still takes me a lot of hrs to complete.

I will be building a set for a 2003-2008 4runner soon too.

The number of hrs involved is apparent with the attention to detail. I hope to attempt a similar build soon. Mine will incorporate storage for two short long arms and ammo storage. Great job:beer:

Nice work, these drawers look really nice. I am in New Jersey and will be reaching out when I am ready for a set of drawers.

Here is a couple picture's of my unit installed. Built this two years ago. My most useful mod to date. My unit doesn't have the nice locking pull latch like the newest unit.
Also I applied 2 coats of clear polycrylic sealer on the full unit before applying carpet. This will ensure min. shrink and expanding during weather change. This will be standard on all units.

IMAG1059.jpg

IMAG1055-1.jpg

IMAG0949.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! Def. get a hold of me. I can have it ready for you. Just swing up and we can have a unit installed in a couple hours. 3rd row seats must be removed prior.

How much do you charge for one of these? I'm in Phoenix though.

I like it. You should post up some more details, pics, and price(s).

Dissent, Thanks for your interest. Base price is $1350. +$95 for locking pull latch. +40 for two extra tie down achors in the middle of box for a total of 6. +$50 for drawer dividers. I am willing to due other custom things to fit ppl's needs.
I am willing to ship. I have been curious how shipping would work. If you work with me I am sure we can figure it out. I can work with you on price for a first time buyer out of state. I have shipped a bunch of large items on pallets before so I am sure it will be an easy task.

I'm not quite ready to buy one yet but the price sounds very reasonable given the build quality. I'd love to take you up on the offer when I have a budget for one.

I don't want to be a party pooper, and the price is probably okay for the man hours and the build quality, but that amount of money calls for a TIY (Try It Yourselve)

I've been thinking about building a drawer that's only half size. It would serve as a sleep platform on the one side as well and allow me to keep a rear jump seat

Really nice!!
Thank you!!

Beautiful quality build!
Thank you!!

I don't want to be a party pooper, and the price is probably okay for the man hours and the build quality, but that amount of money calls for a TIY (Try It Yourselve)

I am sure some will try to build there own but for others without tools or any knowlege this is NO small task to pull it off. I have tons of tools for my building business and I used quite a few of them to build this unit. I have been building custom cabinets and built ins in ppl's homes for over 10 yrs along with a lot of custom auto enclosures/etc

I've been thinking about building a drawer that's only half size. It would serve as a sleep platform on the one side as well and allow me to keep a rear jump seat

Shoot me a PM if you interested in a quote for exactly what you have in mind. I will tailor to ppls. needs.

I've built a couple of home brew setups. My brother has a ton of custom woodwork under his belt and owns his own cabinet shop. I can tell you when we've compared notes and I suggested that he put together a kit for our trucks he just couldn't make the economics work. Anyone can build their own storage/sleep setup. Most cannot get this kind of fit & finish on their own. You get what you pay for and there are plenty of plenty out there who don't mind paying for quality.

Looks good. I would suggest anyone not local to the OP go to a local car audio shop and get a price. I think you could get something similar built for $500-700

^ I have and yeah, not so much. I was looking at over $400 in just materials, my cost. I do NOT have wood working skills/tools so I am at the mercy of someone with the talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom