For Sale Current Pricing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have beenreading threads for a while, but never posted...I figured now is a good time since I am looking for a 40 and prices seem to have mostly gone through the roof!

I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of pricing, or what I can expect in price ranges. I see everything from $5-$40K. I am looking around the 10-15 area and want to put work into it. Looking for mostly stock if possible.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

I searched for a year and found this for under 11. CA/AZ truck with no rust and in need of some TLC. I consider myself lucky. That said, a mud member in AR found one in the same condition for 8 a week after me. Look around and have cash ready, good ones don’t last hours. Good luck.

674E5640-53D7-468A-B398-86A20FB4C663.jpeg

157BA95C-05DB-4231-A852-B936B6CBE565.jpeg

I searched for a year and found this for under 11. CA/AZ truck with no rust and in need of some TLC. I consider myself lucky. That said, a mud member in AR found one in the same condition for 8 a week after me. Look around and have cash ready, good ones don’t last hours. Good luck.

View attachment 1599856

View attachment 1599857

Dang! $8k and $11k for 40's that clean!? I'll take 3 please. That patina is perfect. In my opinion any 40 that clean with a hard top is easily $16-20k these days..... if not more.

Good score!

Dang! $8k and $11k for 40's that clean!? I'll take 3 please. That patina is perfect. In my opinion any 40 that clean with a hard top is easily $16-20k these days..... if not more.

Good score!

That is incredible for those prices! Out in CA I have been finding ones for 10-15, but with significant rust issues from other states or an incredible amount of work that needs to be done.

Thanks for the reply! I am going to have to keep an eye out.

Were you running the gambit of online for sale posts or getting lucky with local ads?

I am pretty much on here, Craigslist, and local car fairs.

I found mine on CL. Autotrader, etc all seemed to be restored or outrageous. Bring a trailer has them occasionally. I’ve seen some really good deals here too. You can also try posting up a wanted ad here.

I found mine in Oct/16 online for 9k US 11k CND. It was only listed for a day when i stumbled upon it. Wasnt looking too seriously then found it. 3 days ltr i was on a plane flying 1100 miles to pick it up and drove it back the next day. Is it mint? No but it was what i wanted and i can drive it across country anytime and feel confident.

I found mine in Oct/16 online for 9k US 11k CND. It was only listed for a day when i stumbled upon it. Wasnt looking too seriously then found it. 3 days ltr i was on a plane flying 1100 miles to pick it up and drove it back the next day. Is it mint? No but it was what i wanted and i can drive it across country anytime and feel confident.

Dang good deal! Did it look this good when you bought it?

Looks great! It’s good to know they are still out there. Only thing I have been seeing around LA lately is the ICON ($100,000+) 40s. Beautiful, but crazy expensive.

I bought this 1970 3 months ago in Colorado. I found it on Craigslist with no picture form the original owner at 9pm for $7,900. I was up at 5AM and on way with cash in hand the next morning. The most important bartering tool you have is cash on the spot. If you wait someone will call and offer them more then their asking price. It is a very solid truck floor boards have zero rust, back sill needed to be replaced, strong original motor, needed brakes all the way around otherwise in great shape.

20171007_182732.jpg

I didn't do as good as you guys, but I picked this 1970 up for $7k.

Disc brake conversion, 4 speed, 2F, aluminum radiator, saginaw power steering conversion, 5 new BFG ATs, etc.

It had its share of issues, but solid. Rear sill is good, but has some small rust in rockers and rear quarters. Oh, it came with the bezel upside down already! haha

cruiser 1.jpg

I didn't do as good as you guys, but I picked this 1970 up for $7k.

Disc brake conversion, 4 speed, 2F, aluminum radiator, saginaw power steering conversion, 5 new BFG ATs, etc.

It had its share of issues, but solid. Rear sill is good, but has some small rust in rockers and rear quarters. Oh, it came with the bezel upside down already! haha

View attachment 1602191

That’s an awesome price for all that. Also a good color!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Hardest part now is just convincing the wife I might need to travel to get one!

That’s an awesome price for all that. Also a good color!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Hardest part now is just convincing the wife I might need to travel to get one!

Thanks, I actually don't like the color lol. It came from California, but I shipped it to the East Coast.

I wont even comment on the 40 i just missed out on yesterday an hour from me.... oy

I've been semi-serious looking for an FJ40 over a year now. I really need to dump my slightly lifted 98 Jeep Wrangler first. Just when I was getting ready to put it on the market, I got developed a start issue. I'm hoping that it's the crank sensor which is no big deal.

I've been watching and learning from the forum and hope when it's my time, I can find an FJ here from a Mud member; who knows.

Last year, a friend and I completed a build on my 67 big-block Mustang Fastback. We worked years on this project but it came out awesome. I think I became burned out and hate to get into another restoration but if that's what it takes.

I am a member of many forums and each one has its own dynamics, drama and opinions. Undoubtedly, The Mud forum has an impressive amount of true expertise. You may not want to hear everyone's opinions but you cannot buy this information. I look at the forum almost every day and try to learn something. It's a matter of time but I will be driving or dragging one back to Old Virginia. Hopefully sooner than later.

What I have found is that Mud classifieds 40 prices are normally higher than craigslist prices, but if you get a 40 (or any other car) from a long-time, well-known member you are normally paying a bit more for stuff you can't see that has been done and an honest transaction. These Land Cruisers are a passion to most of us and normally they have been gone through.

A $5k 40 on craigslist would be a gamble and might need a mechanical base-lining, possibly brakes, a motor, miscellaneous pieces, etc. All of these things that then cost an additional $5k. The small things sure add up. Not saying you can't score a good one there, but any unknown is a risk.

It's hard to find 40s these days because people aren't having to dump projects due to the market demand being so high, but with that being said, scammers are flipping them left and right. I have heard of people selling great rigs only to see them for sale a month later at double the sales price. Hey great, that is how capitalism works, but they aren't doing honest flips. at the same time people are often trying to screw the next guy.

Find the most rust-free one you can that has a hard top with it and the rest is all relatively simple.

My way of keeping tabs on the current market is looking at SOLD listings (not completed, but sold) for whatever truck I'm looking at. eBay is kinda tough since it's auction and it's not centralized, but it gives you a good idea of true sell price:

fj40 in Cars & Trucks | eBay

Bah i just found out what the super clean 40 local to me just sold for yesterday. It was a 78 and had never seen winter in 35 years. tub was immaculate and came with a bunch of NOS parts the guy bought 10 years ago and never used. Only issue with it was windsheild frame was bent back 2" looked as if the hood came up while driving. Hood had a bit of a bow in it also which would correspond with the hood coming up. Had a brand new hood and frame... Get this it sold for 8k CND so like 7k US. Sold in 12hrs I called once and got no answer then waitined till noon next day to call again and it was gone....

Bah i just found out what the super clean 40 local to me just sold for yesterday. It was a 78 and had never seen winter in 35 years. tub was immaculate and came with a bunch of NOS parts the guy bought 10 years ago and never used. Only issue with it was windsheild frame was bent back 2" looked as if the hood came up while driving. Hood had a bit of a bow in it also which would correspond with the hood coming up. Had a brand new hood and frame... Get this it sold for 8k CND so like 7k US. Sold in 12hrs I called once and got no answer then waitined till noon next day to call again and it was gone....
Those deals make you sick to your stomach when you miss out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom