Cummins 2.8 Conversions in Arizona? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering a 2.8 re-power on one my of 80s. Does anyone know of shops in Arizona that do 2.8 conversions on Land Cruisers?

I have been eyeing the R2.8 for a project since release. I would be interested to hear your thought process that brought you to that engine for the 80. I considered it heavily for my diesel swap project I am just starting, but opted for a 6BT/NV4500 combo.

What XMSN do you want to run? Who are you considering for the adapter? Have you ridden in an R2.8 swapped 80? I'll stop myself there and save you the endless questions. Maybe a call would be easiest if you had the energy to talk to someone who geeks out on this stuff. Regardless, best wishes on the effort, and please keep us informed. If I can find a donor 60/62/80, I would like to build an around town rig with weight and ease of use as the highest priorities.

Jason

Spencer in Flagstaff has done one on his 60. He was at one of our NAZ meetings… and (I heard) opening up a shop.

I have been eyeing the R2.8 for a project since release. I would be interested to hear your thought process that brought you to that engine for the 80. I considered it heavily for my diesel swap project I am just starting, but opted for a 6BT/NV4500 combo.

What XMSN do you want to run? Who are you considering for the adapter? Have you ridden in an R2.8 swapped 80? I'll stop myself there and save you the endless questions. Maybe a call would be easiest if you had the energy to talk to someone who geeks out on this stuff. Regardless, best wishes on the effort, and please keep us informed. If I can find a donor 60/62/80, I would like to build an around town rig with weight and ease of use as the highest priorities.

Jason
You still selling your 1FZ or already sold?

We haven’t done one yet but I have been wanting to. Wouldn’t mind chatting with you about doing it if that’s something you’re interested in

You still selling your 1FZ or already sold?
I haven’t pulled it yet. I am tearing down the 94 Ram first. Gunna go theough the engine and XMSN. I expect to pull the 1FZ in the fall.

I was considering an R2.8, but bailed after doing a little research on them. Lots of not good feedback and they are not at all related to the B series motors that are a large part of what built the Cummins reputation. They are built in the USA but all of the parts are made in China. There are some Chinese trucks that were sold in Australia that use the 2.8, can’t remember the model but there is a lot of info around on them.

After all of the research I have done, go figure - the 1hdt is the perfect diesel match for an 80 series. IMO the 6bt is way too much motor, 4bt is too heavy and industrial, and the 2.8 is not going to be any more powerful than a 1fz - though much more fuel efficient.

Another downside is the 2.8 cannot handle power upgrades like the b series. Can’t remember where I read it, but a shop that does a lot of conversions in Washington said their safe limit is 10% over factory output.

I was considering an R2.8, but bailed after doing a little research on them. Lots of not good feedback and they are not at all related to the B series motors that are a large part of what built the Cummins reputation. They are built in the USA but all of the parts are made in China. There are some Chinese trucks that were sold in Australia that use the 2.8, can’t remember the model but there is a lot of info around on them.

After all of the research I have done, go figure - the 1hdt is the perfect diesel match for an 80 series. IMO the 6bt is way too much motor, 4bt is too heavy and industrial, and the 2.8 is not going to be any more powerful than a 1fz - though much more fuel efficient.

Another downside is the 2.8 cannot handle power upgrades like the b series. Can’t remember where I read it, but a shop that does a lot of conversions in Washington said their safe limit is 10% over factory output.
I have to second the notion on the 1HD. It is a fantastic engine! I got to drive an HDJ100 and an HZJ80 in Australia and was impressed with both. The 1HD-FT in an 80 would be magic. I actually went down that rabbit hole before settling in on the 6BT. The issue was that a 1HD in almost any variant was going to be in the neighborhood of 15k landed here in the US, and it would still need to be refreshed. I bought my whole running and driving 1994 Ram 2500 for 5k, and that gave me a 6BT, an NV4500, and. Dana 70 for another project. I do agree that the 6BT is a pig, but having seen them just go and go and go on the farm while getting better mileage than anything else, AND never getting hot made me a true believer in them.

A 6BT in an 80 would be really under stressed, even towing would be a breeze. In fact, that is my plan. 300hp/700lbft with ease and high teens for mpg.

Separate note, i rode in a Land Rover Defender 130HC with an R2.8 and i was pretty impressed with the pep going doing the road. I would love to see one in an 80, especially one kitted and loaded for a long trip. If Cummins would do the same package with their QSB4.5…in my mind that would be the ticket!

@TWILLY I wish you great results on your build. Keep us in the loop!

Thanks for the replies and insights, guys. I appreciate it.

@Pitch - I didn't know that Spencer is opening a shop; that's great news. Flagstaff could support a specialty shop like that. I should talk to him.

@peacesells63 @Cruiserhiggs and @ARJMN -

I have not decided whether to do a repower, or, if so, which motor to go with. At this point, I'm sussing it out; beyond my broad goals, I would rely on a shop to sort out the many technical details that outrun my mechanical ineptitude.

The goals would be renewal (replacing an old, tired powerplant with one that's entirely new and worry free), improving efficiency and range, and, generally, keeping an old truck going. The more likely candidate of the two 80s is my ugly old '92 because:
  • As I understand it the 2.8 bolts in fairly easily, allowing use of the existing transmission (as would the 1HD, I assume);
  • Efficiency gains over the 3FE would yield vastly better mileage and 1000+ miles of range given her 49 gallon fuel capacity;
  • Power gains over the 3FE would vastly improve highway manners, making it a more well-rounded truck.
On the 2.8 vs. 1hdt...

I'll need to read up on the 1hdt. The big questions would be whether a 1hdt can be obtained new, or nearly so; cost, and if there's a significant difference in cost of installation; and how efficiency compares to the 2.8.

I've read that a downside of the 2.8 is parts availability, but the 1hdt would be no different here in North America. Parts for either are obtainable, but with a wait. I assume a 1hdt will outlive a 2.8. Still, I've talked to a number of Land Cruiser 2.8 conversion owners and they all love them, reporting mileage into the mid 20s. And, serviceability--if something goes wrong, is one more easily serviced than the other in Flagstaff?

Last edited:
I have to second the notion on the 1HD. It is a fantastic engine! I got to drive an HDJ100 and an HZJ80 in Australia and was impressed with both. The 1HD-FT in an 80 would be magic. I actually went down that rabbit hole before settling in on the 6BT. The issue was that a 1HD in almost any variant was going to be in the neighborhood of 15k landed here in the US, and it would still need to be refreshed. I bought my whole running and driving 1994 Ram 2500 for 5k, and that gave me a 6BT, an NV4500, and. Dana 70 for another project. I do agree that the 6BT is a pig, but having seen them just go and go and go on the farm while getting better mileage than anything else, AND never getting hot made me a true believer in them.

A 6BT in an 80 would be really under stressed, even towing would be a breeze. In fact, that is my plan. 300hp/700lbft with ease and high teens for mpg.

Separate note, i rode in a Land Rover Defender 130HC with an R2.8 and i was pretty impressed with the pep going doing the road. I would love to see one in an 80, especially one kitted and loaded for a long trip. If Cummins would do the same package with their QSB4.5…in my mind that would be the ticket!

@TWILLY I wish you great results on your build. Keep us in the loop!

If a 6bt will last 1 million miles in a 1 ton truck, it would probably go 2 million in an 80. Definitely under stressed and MPG will be exceptional. Biggest downside to me is the weight, but you will be the ultimate judge of that difference when your swap is done since you will have one with a 1100lb 6bt and one with a lighter than 1fz LS to compare. I'm definitely looking forward to your build!

By the way, I just bought an 07 5.9 truck last weekend to replace my 8.1 gasser.

ECB41B2A-55C4-4528-8ABA-CD6C98B1702A.jpeg

Thanks for the replies and insights, guys. I appreciate it.

@Pitch - I didn't know that Spencer is opening a shop; that's great news. Flagstaff could support a specialty shop like that. I should talk to him.

@peacesells63 @Cruiserhiggs and @ARJMN -

I have not decided whether to do a repower, or, if so, which motor to go with. At this point, I'm sussing it out; beyond my broad goals, I would rely on a shop to sort out the many technical details that outrun my mechanical ineptitude.

The goals would be renewal (replacing an old, tired powerplant with one that's entirely new and worry free), improving efficiency and range, and, generally, keeping an old truck going. The more likely candidate of the two 80s is my ugly old '92 because:
  • As I understand it the 2.8 bolts in fairly easily, allowing use of the existing transmission (as would the 1HD, I assume);
  • Efficiency gains over the 3FE would yield vastly better mileage and 1000+ miles of range given her 49 gallon fuel capacity;
  • Power gains over the 3FE would vastly improve highway manners, making it a more well-rounded truck.
On the 2.8 vs. 1hdt...

I'll need to read up on the 1hdt. The big questions would be whether a 1hdt can be obtained new, or nearly so; cost, and if there's a significant difference in cost of installation; and how efficiency compares to the 2.8.

I've read that a downside of the 2.8 is parts availability, but the 1hdt would be no different here in North America. Parts for either are obtainable, but with a wait. I assume a 1hdt will outlive a 2.8. Still, I've talked to a number of Land Cruiser 2.8 conversion owners and they all love them, reporting mileage into the mid 20s. And, serviceability--if something goes wrong, is one more easily serviced than the other in Flagstaff?

1HDT will be extremely expensive to swap, you'll be about the same in cost to buy a 1HDT powered 80. probably $7-10k more than swapping an r2.8.

1HDT parts are easy to get now, but will have longer lead times since they have to be shipped. It will probably be the same thing with r2.8 parts, as I know they are available through cummins. Not a bad thing, since generally you only want to use toyota/cummins parts anyways. Just about anything that will cause a 1HDT to not run will require much more time to fix than you would want to spend in a parking lot while on a road trip anyways.

To my knowledge, you cannot get a new 1HDT anymore.

Service will be about the same for both. Any competent diesel shop will be able to repair either one. There is far more internet data out there on the 1HDT since it is older and has achieved legendary status.

I'm not convinced the r2.8 is a bad motor yet, but I don't like most of what I have heard. Most swaps seem to have very few miles on them and most info about them comes directly from the cummins "repower" marketing group. Once I start to see people getting a few hundred thousand miles out of them, I will be convinced. The highest I have seen so far is someone who has 21k on a swap.

The 1HDT weighs about 730lbs complete and the r2.8 weighs just over 500, so thats a good thing. The 1fz is right in the middle between the 2.

One thing about the r2.8, they sound awesome. But then again, so does the 1HDT....

I agree on the 2.8 reliability comments, but I have not seen enough info to say it has REAL issues. I think if you keep in mind it is a 2.8l 4 banger and never gunna make an 80 a drag car, i think it could be the best(only) option for a new powerplant that has tons of support. I have been impressed with them. I think Land Cruiser Phil has driven an 80 with an R2.8.

I agree on the 2.8 reliability comments, but I have not seen enough info to say it has REAL issues. I think if you keep in mind it is a 2.8l 4 banger and never gunna make an 80 a drag car, i think it could be the best(only) option for a new powerplant that has tons of support. I have been impressed with them. I think Land Cruiser Phil has driven an 80 with an R2.8.

Both mine had 1HDT
IIRC Dave at Delta has done or has a kit for the 2.8l
1HDT will overheat a 343 they come with 440

A 1HD-T can be built new using new OEM parts. Short block, head, etc are all still available readily from many different sources.

But when put together you are looking at well over $22-25K including logistics costs. That’s generally too much for most people wanting to repower. That’s before trans/xfer/fabrication/and system integration work even begins.

I have three going right now and each of them are expensive all around. No two ways about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom