Cruise Control Turning Off with LED Tail Lights - FIX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thedoughboy

SILVER Star
Threads
I read a lot of threads about this. A lot of Mudders installed a small bulb to add resistance. Others, installed a resistor but did not identify what type. So, I thought I'd post this as it is a :banana: repair.

I installed some LED tail lights and my cruise control would turn off whenever I engaged my turn signals. It turns out that it is the brake lights that need to be modified. You need to install a resistor between the brake pedal 12v + wire and the associated ground wire.

What you need:
  • 2 resistors. I purchased these: Thanks to @Hornd for identifying these for me.
  • $_1.JPG
  • straight edge razor
  • soldering iron
  • electrical tape/liquid tape.

1). Remove tail lights and gently shave off (using a straight edge razor) the insulation on the green/white (Brake Pedal 12v + wire) and the white/black (ground) wires. Shave off about 1/8"-1/4" of the insulation. Be careful to NOT cut any of the stranded wires.

pic 1.jpg

2). Next, strip about 1/4"-3/8" of each end of the wires attached to the resistor. Wrap one end around the green/white wire and the other around the white/black wire.

pic 2.jpg

3). Solder the connections. My soldering skills are pretty rookie so :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:. Wrap with electrical/liquid tape and reinstall the tail lights.

pic 4.jpg

I tested it and it works. My cruise control functions as designed.

***One word of advice. If I were to do this again I would look into installing the resistors in the rear quarter panels. Nothing too major but it might produce a cleaner looking job.

Last edited:
Thanks for this info! Just did this fix, but I installed them in the rear quarter panel with JB Weld and I ended up just tapping into the wires with some wire taps and dielectric grease. Produces a very clean job that work perfectly.
IMG_20180325_175654_902[1615].jpg

IMG_20180325_175654_904[1616].jpg

Been thinking about going to LEDs for the rear lamps, but heard there may needs to be mods to make that work. Is this the only mod needed for the tail lights?

Do I need another install to cover things like side markers and front running lights? Where?

I used these on my rig. No need for any additional mods. Just plug and play. Been working flawlessly for over a year,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D415K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The folks at the auto parts store seemed pretty clueless about the process, despite having a wall of LED bulb replacement options. Think I'll look to see if they have any of the Phillips Vision LEDs. Since they are a direct replacement for old school lamps, they don't require any special mods.

BTW, still interested in the conversion process. Can anyone point to good threads involving adapting the 80 series wiring to LEDs? I've subbed in LEDs for many of the interior lighting bulbs without issue but clearance/running/turn/brake lights are somewhat more picky in terms of what works.

Hadn't done the math, but Held did and those fancy resistors don't sound like something I'd want to add. Maybe they figure the resistor can live on all the extra juice you'd gain from converting to LEDs? But I have other plans for that electricity....

I did the tail lamps/turn/reverse/front corner markers/rear side markers/ARB turn signals all in LED. Bought everything except ARB turn signals from SuperBrightLEDS.com. LOVE the reverse lamps BTW.

I have the same issue with the CC cutting out with turn signals, but I think the addition of load resistors to the circuit is not the correct way to remedy this. I may just put the incandescent lamps for the rear turn signals back in until I have time to play around with it. It might just need a diode added to the brake lamp circuit that feeds the CC ECU, but I really haven't spent time looking at the circuits involved.

To be honest, I don't use CC on a daily basis sitting in NYC traffic, so this is not high on my priority list.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRE38EA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these for the plate bulbs, side markers and corner lights with no issues.

does anyone have a good build for the reverse lights? I tried a set that causes some issues, while driving at about 50-60 I watched the D light on the dash go out and the R come on :eek::eek:. I took the bulbs out after that, don't need the truck dropping the trans out on the highway

does anyone have a good build for the reverse lights? I tried a set that causes some issues, while driving at about 50-60 I watched the D light on the dash go out and the R come on :eek::eek:. I took the bulbs out after that, don't need the truck dropping the trans out on the highway
1156 LED Bulb - w/ Reflector Lens - BA15S Retrofit | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Light Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
These are the reverse lamps I have. I like them alot.

BTW, still interested in the conversion process.
To be clear, all the bulbs are a direct replacement and there is no "conversion process". The only issue is the CC canceling with the use of turn signals and rapid flash, assuming you change all of the turn signals with LEDs. There is a direct plug in replacement for the flasher module available as well.
Benefits are better visibility, less power consumption (assuming you don't use load resistors), and longer life.

looks like those peticular bulbs are discontinued. I see that they have other bulbs in that style do you recommend any other bulb for the reverse?
You'll have to search around a bit. There's lots of stuff out there.

I can't imagine that a replacement bulb would cause an issue like what you describe.

I didn't expect it to either but I took out the bulbs and no issues so had to be something with the bulbs. I'm not sure what brand they were I got them from someone at work who had ordered the wrong ones. I just wanted something brighter for when I have the dirt bike on the back as it blocks a lot of the light form the reverse lights

To be clear, all the bulbs are a direct replacement and there is no "conversion process". The only issue is the CC canceling with the use of turn signals and rapid flash, assuming you change all of the turn signals with LEDs. There is a direct plug in replacement for the flasher module available as well.
Benefits are better visibility, less power consumption (assuming you don't use load resistors), and longer life.

I suspect it's the flasher module that I've heard reference to. The turn signals could be an issue with LEDs, given the vast difference in draw between bulbs and LEDs.

Your mention of a diode or two perhaps solving the issue is another possibility. That might even be the special sauce that makes those special flashers work.

I suppose there's a direct replacement available for the OEM flasher, so if anyone has done that successfully, a part number or other recommendation would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom