Crankshaft Lock Tab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it seems the crankshaft seal isn’t my oozing issue... but rather my timing cover...

5057D567-024B-4ACC-890C-CF063D7D171E.jpeg

And one of the larger bolts isn’t OEM... so now I need a timing cover gasket... sheesh...

Dude! That sure looks like an FJ60 setup. Hate to tell you this, but the gasket BEHIND the timing cover plate is often the culprit on those. Have to pull the cam to get to it.

Also, the two bigger screws at the bottom need thread sealer (blue) or they will leak crankcase oil.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS project without consulting a Factory service manual!
I didn't have the blue stuff at the time so I threw on some of the Toyota fipg on the bolts. I have the blue stuff now should I take them out and put the blue stuff?

Dude! That sure looks like an FJ60 setup. Hate to tell you this, but the gasket BEHIND the timing cover plate is often the culprit on those. Have to pull the cam to get to it.
All this brings back memories of not too long ago. You can do it.

Just a thought. Maybe before removing the cover you could clean off all the oil and then crank the engine over without running it. Just to get the oil pumping and maybe determine exactly where it’s leaking. Maybe even tow it in gear. A bit of work yes. But so is pulling the cam.

Just a thought. Maybe before removing the cover you could clean off all the oil and then crank the engine over without running it. Just to get the oil pumping and maybe determine exactly where it’s leaking. Maybe even tow it in gear. A bit of work yes. But so is pulling the cam.

I wiped the whole area clean earlier... and it appears it's mildly seeping from the timing cover, NOT the plate behind. So I wiped it extra clean again right now and I'll check again tomorrow.

While I'm in here I may pull the timing cover and do the timing cover gasket as well as the crankshaft seal... since I'm in this far. But pulling the cam is a whole other level of work...

@airon23

I didn't have the blue stuff at the time so I threw on some of the Toyota fipg on the bolts. I have the blue stuff now should I take them out and put the blue stuff?

All this brings back memories of not too long ago. You can do it.
I'd leave it alone, the FIPG should work as well. Besides, "don't fix what ain't broke!"

@airon23

I'd leave it alone, the FIPG should work as well. Besides, "don't fix what ain't broke!"
That's the thing, at the state it's in now it would be easy enough now to do if it were necessary. I haven't run it since changed out so if I need to I just wanted to make sure. But if you say that should still work then maybe I'll just leave it. Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom