Cottonland Hunting/Shooting Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone looked at the Springfield XDE? I like that it's SA/DA.
XDE9339BE-Transparent.png

Ok guys- anyone using night vision or have feedback on scope or anything?
They have began lake project and the hogs are devastating my yard/Bermuda grass.
Gotta get something so between night and day I can kill them off.

Any input of what you have used or should use would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok guys- anyone using night vision or have feedback on scope or anything?
They have vegan lake project and the hogs are devastating my yard/Bermuda grass.
Gotta get something so between night and day I can kill them off.

Any input of what you have used or should use would be greatly appreciated.

Most important question with Night optics is what your budget is. After that are you looking for thermal or night vision? Weapon mounted or head mounted?

Budget aside, one of the best night time hunting optics (and my favorite) is the Trijicon Reap IR thermal scope. This one falls in the $8k price range.

FLIR brand is also a good choice, they have thermal options ranging from $2-3,000 up to north of $10,000.

Most important question with Night optics is what your budget is. After that are you looking for thermal or night vision? Weapon mounted or head mounted?

Budget aside, one of the best night time hunting optics (and my favorite) is the Trijicon Reap IR thermal scope. This one falls in the $8k price range.

FLIR brand is also a good choice, they have thermal options ranging from $2-3,000 up to north of $10,000.

Oohhh
Wow, my google skills didn’t pull those up. On my current trip I was seeing 1600.00 on up but didn’t have clue.

Ok based on that- what’s a cheaper route, thermal or night vision?
Is weapon mounted or head mounted cheaper?

Again- didn’t have clue what I was diving into but my yard is getting raped and I’m over playing nice.

The night optics subject is a lot to unpack in a single message. I am by no means an expert at the subject but by working in the LE/Mil industry I get to have my hands on toys like this and one of my rep groups also sells a line of night optics.

Thermal and night vision play two different roles at seeing in the dark. Night visions primary purpose is seeing your surrounds and observing. The strengths to night vision is that you can helmet mount them and walk through the woods and see what’s around. Night vision Clip on sights are an option if you want to use your daytime scope at night but night vision clip on sights are $$$. The most popular night vision setup for civilians is the PVS-14 monocular. These are fairly inexpensive and can be used in conjunction with a IR eotech or Aimpoint red dot scope. You can get a weapon mount for a PVS14 but in general night vision optics are not designed to withstand the recoil of a weapon. The intensifier tubes are delicate and precise pieces. There’s something cool though about rocking night vision goggles with an IR laser on your rifle that’s just awesome.

Thermals. This is where the money gets big. Most thermals are weapon mounted stand alone digital scopes. Unlike night vision where you are just are amplifying the amount of visible light, thermals are all digital. So what you are paying for is the digital resolution of a camera. I would steer away from companies like armasight and pulsar. Their products just aren’t as good as the price they sell them at. I would look at Flir or Trijicon, you really can’t go wrong with either brand. Flir just came out with a new line of ThermoSight optics that range from $2-4k. What you are looking for in thermal is the resolution, I would look for one with no less than 320x240, that’s going to be your low/mid range of good quality thermal scopes. Your high end thermal scopes are in the 640x480 resolution range. Resolution equals clarity at distance. Higher resolution sees thing clearly at longer distances.

For your use, I would look at the Flir ThermoSight PTS233($2k) or PTS536($3700). I will say that I have never heard someone complain that they spent to much on a thermal but I have heard many many people wish they had spent more to have purchased a better quality optic.

7A62BB05-2701-4695-B9BE-84DC6E58309E.jpeg

Put together a new blaster this week. Still need a new rear sight, but so far, have about $300 in the whole rifle. Amazing how cheap these are getting; I think I paid $1200 for my first AR-15 when I was around 18 years old.

DF79929A-FD36-472B-B96E-764B1E492EE4.jpeg

I went to guns and gear to do some trading and I was surprised how much they dropped.

Lately I’ve been unimpressed with a lot of the new guns being introduced. But that changed today, I found my next must have gun.

B&T TP9 submachine gun. 1200 rounds per min of 9mm fury
B3644AF5-733B-41EA-AA8A-AAFD54140383.jpeg

My rifle needed a new barrel before some upcoming classes so I built a new lightweight midrange upper. I cloned the new Army URGI upper except for the barrel, the urgi uses a Daniel Defense barrel and I didn’t. Should be good out to 600yrds.

-14.5” Ballistic Advantage stainless flutes barrel
- Geissle 13” MK8 hand guard
- Geissle gas block (might swap it out to an SLR depending on how much gas it pushes)
-Aero receiver
- Topped with Bushnell SMRS 1-6 in Larue Mount

39AA44F4-BDCC-4AE8-8952-2FED3B7C1A66.jpeg

@JTU is that midrange you built considered a SBR? If the break is pinned and welded then, it would be 16+, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom