Cottonland Hunting/Shooting Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my Tromix barrel and upper parts today. I had to test fit everything and get an idea of the finished product.

0102182132a.jpg

Still need gas block and tube and to pick up an optic otherwise, just need to blow it apart, torque everything and then make it go boom.

I've got a nice unused 3x12 56mm Nikon pro staff riflescope if anyone wants it....

make me an offer......

I did get a new gun for Christmas....the wife knows what is up! because, I was without a bolt action rifle.......

ruger precision rifle .308

put on a vortex 3x25 50mm

will put pix up one day....I don get over here very often lately...

Those Ruger Precision's are nice rifles. A buddy picked one up in 6.5 Creedmoor a week or so ago.

Way cool.... That’s like a thousand times faster than I can crank em out...

Big boom!

0307181317.jpg

Let's see the stick.

Boom Stick
0308181741.jpg

Muzzle end for reference
0308181742.jpg

.458 vs. 5.56
0308181743b.jpg

Anderson lower, Hogue grip, magpul stock, ALG A.C.T. trigger, Tromix machined upper with matched barrel (14.5" with a pinned and welded brake, total 16.1"), Tromix BGC, BCM free-float, BCM charging handle.

Still need a gas block and tube and some glass to be ready to run. Been looking locally for a .875 gas block, no luck so will get one ordered off the web.

Hear it kicks like a 45-70. We'll see soon enough.

@fountainhead thanks, and other than just having an itch for something different, the ballistics were actually a big part of why I wanted to build around this caliber. It is pretty popular with the hog hunters because of the stopping power on a big boar, so it will be overkill for anything I will level on with it.

At 100 yds, it is pretty flat (0" to 4" or 5") depending on the bullet, 300gr is pretty flat, 500gr the drop starts a little sooner. That is pretty consistent across ammo brands. For 300gr or 325gr ammo, that runs on out to about 150 yds. After that, they start dropping off pretty quick. And at 100 yds, a 300 grain round on average still at about 1500 fps, 1200 fps at 200 and so on.

Between 200 and 300 yards drops of over 50" seem pretty standard and beyond that think of a lead bar in a pool.

This actually is what I was looking at from a responsible shooter standpoint. This will be a coyote/ farm gun and if I pull up on something around the house, knowing that out past 200 yards it is falling like a rock gives me peace of mind. There are no structures within 200 yards of my house and at that point I am only off my property on 1 side. Having a round that is ready to eat dirt before it is over the property line is peace of mind for me.

I think I may have to play with the buffer and spring setup to get a good runner, but I am looking forward to getting a few rounds thru it.

Last edited:
Cool...I had to google it earlier after asking. I was shocked to see that they were pretty damn flat out to close to 200 yards...and still above 1200 fps.

That 500gr round being subsonic....:smokin:

I think I want one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom