Cooling a SBC Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm almost ready to start my 350 with automatic transmission with air conditioner in my 1971 FJ40

Do I need to do anything to make sure it runs cool

Well, what radiator are you running? I'd upgrade to a 4 core or an aluminum version. I've never had any issued with my 96' 5.7 Vortec and I run a BeCool radiator. If your going to reuse the Toyota radiator I'd be worried about it being plugged up...

Also, everything has to work together so you need a water pump that working correctly, a fan shroud, thermostat, etc

Looking at a champion cooling 3 row aluminum radiator, specifically made for FJ40 mount.

Any thoughts about this radiator with a

I just installed one in my 60. Nice product. Plan on one for my 40 next.
For a little more you can go with the 4 core. Better to overkill than wish for more cooling in a V8 40.

IMHO, I want the largest capacity radiator that will fit in the available space, a well designed shroud, mechanical fan, properly sized water pump and thermostat and the A/T cooler independent of the radiator. Other than a thermostat failure, I've haven't had an overheating issue since my learning days back in the late 70's.

Will other combinations work? Probably. Will the same combination that works marginally in Seattle work well in Phoenix, probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom