Converting a 40 to a 45... who has done it? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dont forget gary's way

Convert a fjz80 to a 45!

Live large or die!
DSC06471%202.jpg

Convert a fjz80 to a 45!

Live large or die!

Yeah, I have seen that one up close... Gary did an AMAZING job. Its probably one of the coolest rigs I have ever seen in person.

Convert a fjz80 to a 45!

Live large or die!

That is an AMAZING RIG!!! :clap:
Is it a mud members? I would love to know more about it.

:cheers:,Ben

That is an AMAZING RIG!!! :clap:
Is it a mud members? I would love to know more about it.

:cheers:,Ben

It's here on Mud called Project-X. Everyone who's ever seen/read about it says the same thing: AMAZING. A word of warning though, once you open the thread you won't be able to go close it so start early in the day ;)

Here is my pride and joy .
Built this about 6 years ago.
Currently back in the shop getting some love from the panel/paint doctor.
Should be back on the road shortly.

123.jpg

120.jpg

115.jpg

Chris
123.jpg
120.jpg
115.jpg

Thanks fellas.
1978 FJ40 with 2F and 4 speed box.
Large dog crate for the mutt's to travel in comfort is a must.
Interior is one of the main things getting sorted now, was not happy with the seat mounts, unstable and not safe.

I will get some pic's when I am down at the panel shop.

Chris

SKITZO anger management.JPG

Transmission Cover 1.JPG

Here is a preview of the work so far.
Floor plates and seat mounts are now completed, installed the seats yesterday just trying to Finnish the centre console and transmission hump before pulling it out and welding / painting all.
SKITZO anger management.JPG
Transmission Cover 1.JPG

Really like that, is that a 45 cab and top on there or did you make your own cab with a 40? Just wondering want to build something like this soon

Hey Mate
If you lived in a perfect world how much more leg room would you like. I am making a 40-45 conversion and am 6'0" so I can extend the cab to fit. I was thinking a 6-9" larger tub what is your take on these numbers. Skip

Just a thought I recently saw a model a ford pickup that they added 3 inches to the cowl for legroom.. They are not much different in cab size than a 45 .. So instead of adding it in the back how about stretching it between the hood and windshield .... Anyone good with photoshop maybe we could get an idea of what it does to the side view...

Just a thought I recently saw a model a ford pickup that they added 3 inches to the cowl for legroom.. They are not much different in cab size than a 45 .. So instead of adding it in the back how about stretching it between the hood and windshield .... Anyone good with photoshop maybe we could get an idea of what it does to the side view...

Or what about no exterior modifications, and just pushing the bottom of the fire wall where the feet go out a few inches? anyone done that, is it possible, or too complicated with the peddels?

Or what about no exterior modifications, and just pushing the bottom of the fire wall where the feet go out a few inches? anyone done that, is it possible, or too complicated with the peddels?

Somewhere on mud there is mention of this being done. The guy extended the drivers footwell.

Somewhere on mud there is mention of this being done. The guy extended the drivers footwell.

Yeah there's a guy down here that's doing it, also installing an LS3. The well sticks out further than the cowl and looks.. ahh.. different. Would love an extra 6" in a 45.

But to keep the proportions right you'd have to lengthen the bonnet [hood] and potentially behind the b-pillar.

Hey guys TNX for your idea's of what you would do. I am committed to the back section and it looks like I might go with about 8" of cab extension, put it around 8"-10" longer than a stock 45. I did a 29 model A pickup in the past however wish I would of done some extension on that. If you are a 6' footer it is cramped. Not going to make the same mistake. Currently collecting parts as D did in the beginning. Have the tub and some of the d-construction done, parts are ordered and will start the going back process when they arrive. Floor, rockers and will fab the back floor-quarters when I get going to fit um up. Found a top with fiberglass but the drip rails are needing workno surprise, anyone fabed your own sure could use some patterns of the corners to expensive to buy then, damm not made of gold. After I get something to look at I will start a thread, hold on...

Other than D'animals, I don't remember seeing much else. I know it's been done, and I'm really wanting to do it myself. Only I want to end up with an extended cab like Proffits.

Any more photos of Proffit's extended cab FJ45 around? That's very much what I have in mind, but I plan to do it with a Troopy body instead of a truck bed in the back. I'll keep the lower half of the Troopy with an extended cab, a bit like the mining truck conversions from AU but with less back seat space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom