Converting a 40 to a 45... who has done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am really tempted to pick up a used beater 40 and chop it up into a 45. I can't imagine I am in uncharted water but searches don't turn up much. Any leads? I know Jack Rice did one a while back but that was more a crawler... same with Zornff, and Nolen with Kate.

Anyone got any ideas and or leads on a write up or two?

Drew

Other than D'animals, I don't remember seeing much else. I know it's been done, and I'm really wanting to do it myself. Only I want to end up with an extended cab like Proffits.
04_1[1].jpg

It has been done several times. I followed others. Gumby posted a link to my build. You can see all of the good, the bad and the challenges in that thread.

I'm a chainsaw mechanic so if I can do it, anybody with some skill or a fat wallet should be able to do it better, faster and end up with a cleaner looking result.

Good Luck!

i did this conversion well over 12 years ago with a tub from aqualu and some spare fj45 body parts that came with my original fj45 that i bought.. i originally built my 45 based on a short wheel base 45 but has changed quite a bit over the years.. it was built on the original 40 frame that i stretched 14 inches in the middle..
the body now sits on a diesel 60 series rolling chasis complete with a 3b toyota diesel, 5 speed and splitcase...

P1040349.jpg

P1040488.jpg

P1000781.jpg

It has been done several times. I followed others. Gumby posted a link to my build. You can see all of the good, the bad and the challenges in that thread.

I'm a chainsaw mechanic so if I can do it, anybody with some skill or a fat wallet should be able to do it better, faster and end up with a cleaner looking result.

Good Luck!

I read through half of your build thread alread D'animal, I am very impressed bro. That came out super nice. Stand proud bro!

Other than D'animals, I don't remember seeing much else. I know it's been done, and I'm really wanting to do it myself. Only I want to end up with an extended cab like Proffits.

I like that extended cab. I would have to do something to stretch the cab a bit. I'd like room to recline and keep my most valuable offroad piece of kit... my fridge ;)

i did this conversion well over 12 years ago with a tub from aqualu and some spare fj45 body parts that came with my original fj45 that i bought.. i originally built my 45 based on a short wheel base 45 but has changed quite a bit over the years.. it was built on the original 40 frame that i stretched 14 inches in the middle..
the body now sits on a diesel 60 series rolling chasis complete with a 3b toyota diesel, 5 speed and splitcase...

P1040349.jpg

P1040488.jpg

P1000781.jpg

Yeah, I have tons of pics of your 45 on my computer that taunt me into tempting this. I love it, your rig is amazing! :D

what about Andrew Farmers rig? He choped his cab but didn't add the truck bed. Does this count as a 45 :confused: He did a lot of cool stuff to that rig, his posts are fun to read even if it doesn't count as a 45 :)

:cheers: Ben

Proffitt's is probably the nicest one I've seen as far as the cab is concerned, but I would want a factory bed. I love what D'Animal did with his as well.

I have an FJ45 tub which I plan to stretch and then I want to get a bed from Kevin (AWL_TEQ), a Cummins drive train, 60 series axles.... of course, fist I'm waiting for my lotto ticket to come in.

Josh

Thanks Cruiserland, I did remember your build. Are you in Alaska? I seem to remember something like that.

As I have been searching and reading over threads I have decided that I would end up with something very similar to Mudrak's vehicle...

I would like to set up the rig for dedicated camping wheeling adventures. I built a little trailer a few years ago and while I love it. I wish it was riding on the back of the 40 instead of being towed behind. Something setup like Mudraks 45 would be super for me.

That's got me thinking that I am really just chopping the cab, and creating a flatbed platform that fits my needs. The extra length might allow for a little wiggle room with an overdrive tranny or additional transfer case.

Thanks for the help fellas, I appreciate it. I am settling into a new house and as soon as the honey-do list is complete, I may just have to dive into this.

Hey FJ-rankenstein,

I was wondering how tall are you and do you have enough leg room in your cab? Are you running a factory steering wheel/colum or something else. When I look at where my seats are right now, I wonder if I would actually fit comfortably in your size cab.

Thanks-

I tried on a '85 ex-fire truck LWB a couple years ago. I'm 6'2"-220# with longer arms. A smaller steering wheel would have helped, but I think the novelty would eventually wear off and I'd grow tired of the lack of leg/body room. That's the biggest reason why I dream of a extended cab.

i am a short guy.. i am just under 5'9".. the 45 cab has never felt big to me but then has never felt cramped either.. i am using leather seats from an acura integra because they are pretty low profile.. this helps with cab room quite a bit..

i always found the stock steering wheel to be a good size for the truck but was never in a good spot when you wanted to put new seats in.. it just seemed like it was too school bus feeling to me.. i did a write-up a while ago that involved putting a 60 series steering column into a 40 series truck. it was a lot of work to get it to fit where it felt right.. the 60 series column tends to hang down too low without lots of mods.. i made it work though and now that i have done one, i will do this again.. i love the tilt steering.. this mod alone made the cruiser super comfy to drive and also gave more options for how you want to use what little room you have behind the wheel..
here is the write-up...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/439952-60-series-steering-column-40-series-cruiser.html

what about a 45 out of a 55 frame? 55's are relatively cheap and are already "stretched"

what about a 45 out of a 55 frame? 55's are relatively cheap and are already "stretched"

I am trying to use what I have on hand as much as possible. I have no room to store spares like frames and other rolling chasis stuff... otherwise I'd want to find a smashed 100 and swap it onto that ;) :bounce:

i am a short guy.. i am just under 5'9".. the 45 cab has never felt big to me but then has never felt cramped either.. i am using leather seats from an acura integra because they are pretty low profile.. this helps with cab room quite a bit..

i always found the stock steering wheel to be a good size for the truck but was never in a good spot when you wanted to put new seats in.. it just seemed like it was too school bus feeling to me.. i did a write-up a while ago that involved putting a 60 series steering column into a 40 series truck. it was a lot of work to get it to fit where it felt right.. the 60 series column tends to hang down too low without lots of mods.. i made it work though and now that i have done one, i will do this again.. i love the tilt steering.. this mod alone made the cruiser super comfy to drive and also gave more options for how you want to use what little room you have behind the wheel..
here is the write-up...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/439952-60-series-steering-column-40-series-cruiser.html

Thanks, I am 6' and rather husky ;) so I am thinking a bit of stretch is in order. I like what Dan did on his 40 extension, but I was playing around with the tape measure last night and if I kept my seats the same as they are now, I might only need a 2" filler strip between the B pillar and the rear quarter glass. I think I would add a fuel tank under the bed and be able to create a custom cradle (a little less high) for the seats allowing some flexibilty.

I figure a tilt column would help create some space as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom