Con-ferr roof basket question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a bit, just picked up my first land cruiser in January. I've been tinkering with it since I got it.

Right now it has a cheapo roof basket mounted to the factory load bars. But I found an original Con-Ferr rack for a great price, and plan on going that route.

My question is should I remove the factory rack and get rain gutter mounts or get rain gutter mounts that mount it just above the factory rack? It seems Diamond rax offers both options.

The Con-ferr rack was mounted to the roof itself which I'd like to avoid. It was mounted similar to this.
DSC07115.jpg

Here is a pic of when I got the LC, vs a few days ago with cheapo rack, and a pic the Con-ferr basket.
fj%20progress_zpsqb6xkjru.jpg

20170203_144646_zps5xdlkigu.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Yes i fully plan on mounting it to the gutter, i'm just wondering if i should remove the factory rack or just mount the basket above it.

100% go with the rain gutter mounts. I currently have my headliner out and have the entire roof exposed. There really is nothing up there to hold any substantial weight.

The question really comes down to how you intend to use it. If you mainly use it to just drive around on the interstate and around town then it would not matter to much. But if you want to put a RTT and load the rack with other gear while overloading on rough terrain, then the rain gutter mount is the ONLY way to go.

If you decide to remove the factory rack, you have to keep in mind that you will have holes to fill and paint. That would be a good idea if you see any signs or rust or corrosion under the factory racks. Otherwise why not just leave it. The confer rack sits high enough above it, that it would not pose an issue.

I am 100% going with a rain gutter mount, just trying to decide to remove factory rack and mount it on the rails or just mount it on the rails OVER the factory rack, not mounted TO it. I would assume the basket would be a tad higher if I were to keep the factory rack UNDER the basket, again not mounted to it.

@ZeGerman you said it sits high enough to be over it? Do you know what rain mount options would sit it high enough. I just don
want to order rain gutter mounts and have them be too low to go over the factory rack.

Have you looked at the gamiviti gutter mounts? I think they allow multiple clearances - but at least clear the rails.

No I haven't seen those, they look perfect! and priced way cheaper than the diamond rax mounts i was looking at! thanks!

Just saw that, i'm sold! Thanks for the help! Exactly what I needed!

I think they always look better lower down. Plus this helps with center of gravity a bit. The factory rack are prone to rust underneath too. So I'm for removal and mounting low.

Oh I have Diamond Rax mounts and they're very good.

Nice find BTW.

The advantage of the factory rack is that it produces very little wind noise. The disadvantage is that it's weakly mounted if the screws are rusted. If you're sure you're staying with the Con-Ferr rack, I'd remove the pre-installed rack, and use mounts that let you keep your new rack lower.

Why not keep the rack as low as possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom