Builds College Kid's '96 FZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well looks like I'm finally getting around to this. To start, I'm 19 and have owned my cruiser around ~1 year now. My dad has owned and sold upwards of twenty 40s, 60s, and 80s series so that's where my passion comes from.

Anyway, last year I found this clean 1996 FZJ80 in Texas and hopped on the deal. The interior is immaculate with reupholstered leather, clean carpet, etc. (I'll add interior pics later) New radiator, vacuum hoses, and belts right before I bought it. Also, zero rust underneath. Here's what it looked like when I bought it.

1592628847275.png

Here's what it looks like now.

1592628883279.png

IMG_4024.jpg

testt.jpg

List of Current Upgrades:
  • 2.5" OME Lift on OME851/OME860 Springs
  • 285/70r17 Mud Tires
  • White Knuckle Off-road Sliders
  • Spartan Rear Autolocker
  • ARB Bumper w/ Smittybuilt 10k Winch
  • KC Lights and 40" Lightbar
  • Prinsu Rack with ARB Awning
  • Random off brand ebay snorkel that works great
  • Window Tint (simply amazing for Oklahoma sun)
  • CB Radio and Antenna
  • Upgraded Bulbs (Phillips 9006 I think)
  • Upgraded horn
Future Upgrades:
  • Rear Swingout Tire Carrier
  • 35s or 37s
  • ARB Front Airlocker
  • New paintjob (far future)
Recent Maintenance Items:
  • New AC Compressor and Belt
  • New Alternator (they really don't like being dunked in water.. oops)
  • Diffs flushed
  • Brakes
To-Do List:
  • Fix slight Powersteering leak
  • Balance these cheap and terrible tires
  • Organize wires/battery area
  • (A whole lot more stuff that I can't remember right now)

So yeah. Figured I might as well start a thread as I'm always dumping money into this stupid thing. I've probably forgotten so many things but it's late and I'll edit and add items eventually. Tomorrow I'll add undercarriage / interior pics.

Last edited:
Wish I had gotten a land cruiser at your age. Great to start the addiction early !! Nice truck

Aye welcome to the party fellow college student!

Haha what's up. I'm at OSU and see maybe one other landcruiser per week lol. Definitely not many college kids with 80s. I see 100s much more often

Haha what's up. I'm at OSU and see maybe one other landcruiser per week lol. Definitely not many college kids with 80s. I see 100s much more often
Same here, I go to UTA and not many show up here. Plenty of nice 4runners though😎

Same here, I go to UTA and not many show up here. Plenty of nice 4runners though😎

Ain’t that the truth.. I swear I see so many 4runners and Tacoma’s but no cruisers.

Last edited:
rsz_dsc01800.jpg
rsz_dsc01797.jpg
rsz_dsc01807 (1).jpg
rsz_dsc01803.jpg
rsz_dsc01816.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg
rsz_dsc01819.jpg

Thought I'd post some interior and undercarriage pics. Leather was most likely reupholstered by the PO. Most of the undercarriage is dirt I haven't cleaned off. Sub in the back is 2 10" Subs.

IMG_4032.jpg

Put the nice 1FZ-FE sticker on. Somehow makes the engine bay look much better with a single sticker!

Also, here's a video of my LC80 muffler deleted and straight piped. (I can already sense the facepalms but it honestly sounds pretty sweet and I like loud things)

@nuclearlemon I saw you are a mod and online and I have a question lol can you add the Build tag onto this thread since I'm dumb and don't know how / didn't do it at the start.

Before and after picture of my front grill with black plastidip. It's reversible if I ever want to go back but I think the black looks great.

image0.jpg
image2.jpg

Need opinions. Do I black out my chrome mirrors and handles to black out the vehicle or leave it as is?

I feel like the chrome adds a nice aesthetic flare but blacked out would be clean too

i normally don't like chrome, but your's is the second black 80 i've seen with chrome handles and gotta admit, i like it

A close twin. Mine came chromed. 1996. I am in Dallas. Not a fan of chrome either, but it’s grown on me. Perhaps we can connect one of these days. I have two sons who are cruiserheads as well.

4AFF3D74-34C5-43BE-A592-28F105ABDBB1.jpeg

Last edited:
A close twin. Mines came chromed. 1996. I am in Dallas. Not a fan of chrome either, but it’s grown on me. Perhaps we can connect one of these days. I have two sons who are cruiserheads as well.

View attachment 2358170

Awesome looking cruiser! Chrome has grown on me too and i know the black chrome package is pretty rare. I’ll probably leave it as is then. If I’m ever down in Dallas I’ll let you know!

placehold

Last edited:
I have been dealing with freon leak for like a year and finally found the solution but I had to send it to the mechanic.

I got my cruiser back from the mechanic and my AC just to find it missing the AC Tensioner Bolt :rolleyes:

After buying one from Wits End, I can finally say that my AC (and cruiser) is finally problem free but we all know that won't last too long

IMG_4345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom