Cold start intermittent crank 93 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This condition only rears its ugly head at 10 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.
Search didn't yield anything quite like this.
1993 80 series 1fz-fe, 251K, newer die hard platinum with plenty of grunt, starter sounds healthy. In the coldest temperatures it won't turnover, no cranking. Sometimes it will start on the 2nd try, sometimes it will go on the 30th try. If it cranks it starts, but sometimes it takes up to 30 ignition turns to get a crank. Engine starts terrific once the temps are in the teens or above. This is my 3rd winter of ownership and it has been an issue the last two winters as well, I just forget about it all summer and never get around to addressing it in the winter. Do I have an ignition issue? Sensor issue? My 93 ECU does fall under the problematic years. This problem has never left me stranded but I'm starting to worry it might...tia

Mine is doing the same thing, and I have dual batteries. I can manually make both batteries give power and still it would not start.

Checked the batteries and had 500cca and 405cca. I am thinking this is the start of a bad starter.

Mine clicks a little and the dash light dim like it is trying hard. Yesterday I hooked up a battery charger with full amps and it started on second try.

Only does it when it sat a couple days without use.

Let me know what you find out.

Tyler, sounds like classic sticking starter contacts. Replace them, before they stick in the "on" position and have potential to start a fire under the hood. Check the faqs or TLCGeorge's (iirc) website for a writeup.

Sent from my android Iconia Tab using Forum Runner

Mine is doing the same thing, and I have dual batteries. I can manually make both batteries give power and still it would not start.

Checked the batteries and had 500cca and 405cca. I am thinking this is the start of a bad starter.

Mine clicks a little and the dash light dim like it is trying hard. Yesterday I hooked up a battery charger with full amps and it started on second try.

Only does it when it sat a couple days without use.

Let me know what you find out.

Your problem is either a draw- or bad cell in one or both of your batts

This condition only rears its ugly head at 10 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.
Search didn't yield anything quite like this.
1993 80 series 1fz-fe, 251K, newer die hard platinum with plenty of grunt, starter sounds healthy. In the coldest temperatures it won't turnover, no cranking. Sometimes it will start on the 2nd try, sometimes it will go on the 30th try. If it cranks it starts, but sometimes it takes up to 30 ignition turns to get a crank. Engine starts terrific once the temps are in the teens or above. This is my 3rd winter of ownership and it has been an issue the last two winters as well, I just forget about it all summer and never get around to addressing it in the winter. Do I have an ignition issue? Sensor issue? My 93 ECU does fall under the problematic years. This problem has never left me stranded but I'm starting to worry it might...tia

seen bad cell do this as well - only in cold- however after days sitting even in warmer weather should have tough time as well - You need to check all connections @ starter, batt /clean -Load test "newer" battery you speak of.... then go on to starter contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom