Clearcoat defect options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

So another thing on my "new" landcruiser is that the clearcoat is peeling all over the place. I realized its an older car but oddly enough the underlying base coat actually looks pretty good. This is a california car if that means anything. My question is, is this a common problem and what are my options for addressing it other than going for the full professional paint job? Thank you

Oops, sorry picture attached here
IMG_6713.PNG

Hi Guys,

So another thing on my "new" landcruiser is that the clearcoat is peeling all over the place. I realized its an older car but oddly enough the underlying base coat actually looks pretty good. This is a california car if that means anything. My question is, is this a common problem and what are my options for addressing it other than going for the full professional paint job? Thank you
Yes, it's a common problem and you can polish the clearcoat. You need to progressively sand the clearcoat down to the paint and then polish the paint. You won't have any clearcoat left, but it will look new. The only other option is to remove the clearcoat, sand the paint and repaint/clearcoat. It's not cheap, but I had this done on my '94 last year and I'm glad I did. It looks new again.

@NCFJ had a great photo record of his afternoon effort to clean up two 80s, but the photos aren't attached anymore. Maybe he can repost???

Last edited:
Yes, it's a common problem and you can polish the clearcoat. You need to progressively sand the clearcoat down to the paint and then polish the paint. You won't have any clearcoat left, but it will look new. The only other option is to remove the clearcoat, sand the paint and repaint/clearcoat. It's not cheap, but I had this done on my '94 last year and I'm glad I did. It looks new again.

@NCFJ had a great photo record of his afternoon effort to clean up two 80s, but the photos aren't attached anymore. Maybe he can repost???

Does the colour paint retain a polish if this is done?
Over time, does it hold up ok?

Does the colour paint retain a polish if this is done?
Over time, does it hold up ok?
I don't have any direct experience doing this, and I'm not a paint expert, but I would expect the results to be worth the effort. The only reason to polish the paint is so that the upper surface which has been damaged by removing the clearcoat was again smooth. I've had body shops tell me the have to polish paint after application so it would seem reasonable.

AFAIK, paint doesn't need clearcoat, it's applied to enhance the appearance.

Paint designed to be used as a basecoat does need to have clearcoat over it or it won't last. The basecoat provides the color and the clearcoat provides the protection and gloss. Sanding before/after application of layers is mostly about knocking the high spots off and getting the surfaces smooth but can also help with adhesion of additional layers.

Last edited:
These videos are great, and they give me some confidence to tackle this job. Body painting and sheetrock aren't my thing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom