Clardy Aftermarket FJ40 Air Contioning System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Biscuit

Mars Rover Driver Emeritus
SILVER Star
Threads
Due to the previous sale falling through, I am reoffering to the Mud community an air conditioning system for the FJ40. It was manufactured by Clardy in Ft. Worth, TX. While not a Nippondenso, it was a dealer aftermarket option.

I had this system functional on a F motor installed in my 1974 FJ40 and it blew hard and cold. The in cab unit mounts around the duct from the blower fan to the heater.

System includes:
  • Compressor mounting bracket (off the head, 2F alternator location, passenger side)
  • York 210 Compressor
  • Condenser and mounting hardware (fits inside the front of the radiator shroud)
  • Drive belt
  • In cab unit with dual "squirrel cage" motors and controls
  • Relay to control
  • Hoses to connect everything
  • Pneumatic vacuum pump
  • Manifold gauges
General notes:
  • I make no guarantee that the mounting bracket will work for you FJ40 as I fabricated it myself for my FJ40 and we all know there have been variations over the years.
  • The system worked for me while it was installed, I recommend having a shop take a quick look at the system once you install it so they can use their UV lights to check for an very small leaks you may have missed.
  • If you have the four blade fan of death I suggest upgrading to the direct drive 6 blade fan to increase your cooling since the condenser will block part of the radiator, also it will allow your condenser to function more efficiently.
  • The system is designed for R12 freon which is no longer manufactured in the US. There are substitutes out there such as Freeze 12 and other alternatives such as isobutane and isopropane which have a lower pressure requirement, and as such use less horsepower to compress.
Shipping: Willing to ship (it's boxed and ready to go)
Price: $300obo + shipping (as appropriate)

Any idea if it works in an FJ45LV? If so I AM interested!! I could pick it up if necessary.

The FJ45LV is almost identical to the FJ40 from the firewall forward.

My LV has NO fan or heater at all being a Central American model.

I don't think it would work in a 45LV as designed due to the dash, an in the case of your model the lack of heater.

While I get to opening the box it is packed in up, I'll put up a pic from here on Mud with an IDENTICAL in cab unit. Not the unit I am selling is in much better condition. The plastic is intact and does not appear to have any discoloration and only minor cracks at some edges where hardware is attached.

P1010056.JPG

Photo from Trollhole's post: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1274486&postcount=24

Is it ALL that that looks gray in color? All the way to the right door post? If so, it's huge!

I don't think it would work in a 45LV as designed due to the dash, an in the case of your model the lack of heater.

Based on the picture you've posted I see no reason why this would not work in the LV. The LV dash is identical to an FJ40 of similar vintage as far as I know. I'm still very much interested and as noted I can pick up!!

Based on the picture you've posted I see no reason why this would not work in the LV. The LV dash is identical to an FJ40 of similar vintage as far as I know. I'm still very much interested and as noted I can pick up!!

The only thing is that without the heater you may need to figure out a support where the heater would be. Also it is molded to press up against the padding on the bottom of the dash (which IIRC was a thing for the US models). But if you want to go for it you current have first right of refusal.

I'll be in SoCal at the end of March on my way to Guatemala and the FJ45LV! Hopefully you can wait till then.

I'll be in SoCal at the end of March on my way to Guatemala and the FJ45LV! Hopefully you can wait till then.

Let me think on this one. I would prefer to get rid of it quickly as it has been sitting in my living room for a few months now.

I'll let you know.

I am EXTREMELY interested! Is there anything that is not included that would be needed to put this in my 74' fj40?

Do you accept paypal?

Thanks,

Joe

PMs & e-mails sent.

I'm also interested........put me in line behind Razorback. It would be going back on a '74 F. PM me if my # comes up. Thanks !

A/C system SOLD!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom