Child seats in an 80 (seat belt info) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I searched and it seems that my 93 is the last year that the second row doesn't have the ratchet feature once the belt is fully pulled. Can someone confirm that any model 94 and up will have ratcheting belts in the 2nd row. If so can you install 94+ 2nd row belts on a 91-93 model.

Do the 3rd row belts ratchet in 94+? How many of you guys have installed child seats in the 3rd row?

I have my kiddo rear facing in the center 2nd row but we have a second kiddo on the way and I hate the metal clips for installing child seats. Makes it a PITA the take the seats out and reinstall if needed.

Thanks for the help

Trick I've used instead of the metal clips on the belt is to twist the belt before buckling in to lock it in place.

My 1994 with a December 1993 build date has ratcheting 2nd row seat belts. We used the metal clip when the car seat was belted in the middle.

Can anyone confirm that later model belts for the 2nd row will fit in earlier models. ie 96 belts will fit in my 93 model

Not sure what to mean by ratcheting.....

Ours is a 93, 93 build (and has the factory egr sensor bypass, a 93 thing) has belts that just pull all the way put and lock as it reels in. Both 2nd and 3rd row. I use forward facing seats for my now nearly 3 year old.

3 kids in car seats in my 80. 1997 has ratchet 2nd row. Not sure about 3rd, never tried it.
No LATCH obviously and no anchor for when they are front facing. I made a steel anchor point under one of the 3rd row bracket bolts and anchor the top harness back to that. The 3rd row has always been a front facing booster (ie no rear facing infant stuff) and I just use the 3 point harness as described in the kid seat manual.
For rear facing second row pretty sure I used a child seat adapter strap wrapped around the bracket of one of the front seats to secure it. With 3 kids in car seats (twins) and a love for 80's you get creative but never take shortcuts, make sure to use appropriate anchor locations and all required straps etc.

2nd row middle belts fit the 3rd row middle position but you need to find a bolt. Don't know about swapping 2nd row belts year to year.

The seat belt currently installed is a higher quality than what is found in your typical sedan or SUV. Yank the strap - it instantly catches and holds. The cheap version requires you fully extend the belt, and then let it ratchet back to hold the seat. I was tempted to downgrade until someone showed me it was a superior restraint.

If you haven't done so already give it a good yank and you'll see what I'm talking about. I yank mine all the time and nothing's popped off that wasn't meant to.

AFIK you don't need the h clip. Just buckle the seat in. I've got two under five years old with a third on the way, have hit the brakes hard and never had the rear facing seat slide even a 1/4 inch. The carseat never even came close to touching the back of either driver or passenger side seat. I use britax seats, but the belts are what hold them.

Hope that helps. I drive a 1993 built in January of 1993.

I should add... we use the 80 to move lots of people... we have 2 front facing and a rear infant seat with seat base.

We have a 2014 prius that has had all seats mounted in it. Obviously LATCH.

I used to have an 04 IS300, also LATCH.

Of those 3 vehicles, by far the 80 series is able to get all of the seats installed faster and more securely. Partially has to do with the length of the child seat latch hooks and where the hooks are located on the seats.

Similar issue (again, same front facing seat) with a ~2013 4 door F150 with LATCH.

In fact - family I know has a newer Sienna, and after they get the LATCH straps in, they thenjoy have to adjust the angle of the setback to tighten the car seat up.

None of those issues with the 80 series.

Really appreciate the help guys but can anyone tell me if belts from 94-97 can interchange with 91-93. almost positive that the answer is yes but just want to hear from someone whos is 100% on this.

The seat belt currently installed is a higher quality than what is found in your typical sedan or SUV. Yank the strap - it instantly catches and holds. The cheap version requires you fully extend the belt, and then let it ratchet back to hold the seat. I was tempted to downgrade until someone showed me it was a superior restraint.

If you haven't done so already give it a good yank and you'll see what I'm talking about. I yank mine all the time and nothing's popped off that wasn't meant to.

AFIK you don't need the h clip. Just buckle the seat in. I've got two under five years old with a third on the way, have hit the brakes hard and never had the rear facing seat slide even a 1/4 inch. The carseat never even came close to touching the back of either driver or passenger side seat. I use britax seats, but the belts are what hold them.

Hope that helps. I drive a 1993 built in January of 1993.

Thanks but I want to be able to tighten down my car seats with the ratcheting belt so they cant be moved without slamming on the brakes. All seat belts I have ever used lock up with a good yank.

Oh crap - sorry I thought I responded in the affirmative. Yes I looked into it and from what I could find the 94-97 are interchangeable with my '93 - just unnecessary. Also @beno would know for sure. I agree it is nice to crank them down for peace of mine.

Oh crap - sorry I thought I responded in the affirmative. Yes I looked into it and from what I could find the 94-97 are interchangeable with my '93 - just unnecessary. Also @beno would know for sure. I agree it is nice to crank them down for peace of mine.
Good deal, Thanks for the info. I know it might not be necessary but it makes me feel better with the littles in the back.

Just checked, Third row belts in 97 also ratchet.

I can tell you don't pull parts from a JDM model to make it work. I have a '95 HDJ81 and none of the seatbelts at all have the ratcheting feature. I had to pull them out and use the metal clips that came with the car seats to get them to hold tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom