Check Out the Rear Tail Light Seals/Lenses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone make the rear tail light seals for the 78/79 pig? I have brand spanking new lenses but sure could use some new seals.

thanks

Hatch

question, I have a 1970 fj55 with the red lenses as in the picture above. Will the later style 2 tone yellow/red lenses fit the same as my stock lenses? OR do I need to order the full red lenses. I actually like the 2 tone better, what is the difference? color only or do the later pigs have 2 bulbs in the back vs. 1 in the earlier pigs? thanks,

Noah

I got the truck basically dissasembled already, just dug through the box and yes I do have 2 sockets per light, but my stock lenses are all red as in the pic above, I am assuming that the red lenses and the repro red/amber lenses are the same shape and both will fit my car?

Noah

Tail Lights

Your money was well spent, you are correct, they will fit. Just ordered the new weather strip from Slo-Cruisers that's shown above

Lou
IMG_0884.jpg

Last edited:
My 74 has red/Oranges on the back. It's got a lot of later parts on it so who knows if they are original.

My pside one is cracked so I got one from Cruiserparts.net ($20) but it's all red. I'm hoping the state inspection station doesn't care when the time comes. :) Hopefully they will be too awestruck by the piggies good looks to notice. :D :D

the '55s I have seen with the early style lights(pre 9/'77) have two bulbs and they are both dual filament so there is no separate turn signal??? both the red and the amber would illuminate with either brakes or turn...

tail lights

Brett, I assumed because it has two bulbs one was for turn signal only, If you apply your brakes and engage the turn signal doesn't the amber blink and the red brighten under braking. The assembly has this metal plate that separates the two bulbs and with dual filament I thought both would illuminate with lights on and then brighten and blink separately. Are we both saying the same thing ?

Lou
148C-01.gif

The wiring in North American markets uses the SAME filament for brake lights as for turn signals (both bright filaments on each side are fed from the same feed). I would assume to be totally legal you would need to rewire your signals to blink using a DIFFERENT filament (bulb) from the brake. That would require a DIFFERENT turn signal switch as the one on North American market FJ55's is tied in with the brake. I would think that a '78/79 turn signal switch should work for this application but the wiring would still need to be changed and the two bright filaments on the rear bulbs would need DIFFERENT feeds. Also the orange lens is supposed to be dark UNLESS the turn signal is blinking, ie: it does NOT illuminate with the parking/head lights.

I don't know if that is clear or not. Basically a North American truck needs to be rewired to use the red/orange tail lights in the manner that they are supposed to be used and to be strictly legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom