check engine light never on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
Im seeking some help since I recently bought used a Land Cruiser J100L 2001 with barn doors engine is 1HD-T diesel, the check engine light never comes on (acc, ON key position) nor ABS light, took it to a electrical mechanic shop to find some answers and they can’t find any ports to scan it by the looks it has no OBD ports.
The place is telling me that it does not have a check engine light but I don’t believe that.
Any advice? Should I get rid of it as a loss?

Solution
A 1HDT does not have an ECU, therefore also does not have a CEL or OBD or any of that sort of thing, and strongly suspect if it's a barn door model it doesn't have ABS either.

The first Toyota diesels, at least in Oz to run OBD2 were the 1KD-FTV and the 1VD-FTV. The 1HD-FTE was the first EFI diesel in a Land Cruiser and you'll find an ECU, CEL etc in that, but they don't use the OBD2 protocol.
A 1HDT does not have an ECU, therefore also does not have a CEL or OBD or any of that sort of thing, and strongly suspect if it's a barn door model it doesn't have ABS either.

The first Toyota diesels, at least in Oz to run OBD2 were the 1KD-FTV and the 1VD-FTV. The 1HD-FTE was the first EFI diesel in a Land Cruiser and you'll find an ECU, CEL etc in that, but they don't use the OBD2 protocol.

Solution

Thank you for your prompt reply.
What about the check engine light? does it have it ?
i’m attaching some pics and the plate on engine bay.

A1D541EC-3F30-4552-A138-58384B325908.jpeg

05D049E8-E060-4AC3-B5B3-FD3C0D1B57DF.jpeg

Do you see the silhouette of a Check Engine light symbol on the cluster? The bulb *might* just be burnt out.

Then again, I don't know anything about the diesel models and or why a SES light would be burnt out unless it was intentionally removed or on its whole life.

Do you see the silhouette of a Check Engine light symbol on the cluster? The bulb *might* just be burnt out.

Then again, I don't know anything about the diesel models and or why a SES light would be burnt out unless it was intentionally removed or on its whole life.
No, I don't see any silhouette (tried a hard look)

Sorry, did not picked up the acronym CEL (Check Engine Light)

The only electronics on a 1HD-T are a fuel cut solenoid and the glow plugs + the starter motor. The only dash lights that they operate specifically related to the engine 12V system is the glow plug light, plus ancillaries such as fuel sedimented/water separator, air filter vacuum sensor, turbo overboost, timing belt etc.

Is there any Toyota documentation that can be used to validate there is no CEL or OBD port on the 1HDT? I have a HDJ80 that failed inspection due to:

- Non functioning CEL -> all my lights work and I checked, no CEL spot in cluster.
- No OBD port to scan -> the fuse door says Fuses/OBD but no port. The wiring is so simple on this truck there is no OBD. The label made the inspector suspicious.

They requested official documentation to validate no CEL or OBD on a 98 HDJ80 1HDT. Any resources?

Is there any Toyota documentation that can be used to validate there is no CEL or OBD port on the 1HDT? I have a HDJ80 that failed inspection due to:

- Non functioning CEL -> all my lights work and I checked, no CEL spot in cluster.
- No OBD port to scan -> the fuse door says Fuses/OBD but no port. The wiring is so simple on this truck there is no OBD. The label made the inspector suspicious.

They requested official documentation to validate no CEL or OBD on a 98 HDJ80 1HDT. Any resources?

The closest I can think of is to head over LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/
Under "New car features" select Engine
If you compare both 1HDT and the FTE you can see the difference and provide the documentation using the FTE as reference, 1HD does not mention Any engine control unit.
Also check and compare the "Major Differences" Section

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 6.03.41 PM.png

:cheers:

While I have no insight to the CEL issue, I am curious how you got a less than 25 year old model stateside?
OPs signature says Nicaragua.

Tell them if it was supposed to have an ECU, it would struggle to run without it.

No ECU, no CEL, no OBDII…sounds perfect to me.

I would miss being able to see my tranny* temp though.

*please note - this is not a pride month statement, “not that there’s anything wrong with that”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom