Cheap Ham Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd post this up in the 100 series section since it may be useful for those interested in a cheap ham installation.

A few years ago I installed some coax and an NMO mount on the PS front fender for my CB. Since the same coax and NMO can be used for Ham, and I got my technician's license last summer, it was time to put everything together. I got a little inspiration from @TheForger's DIY: CB Radio Install thread.

Here's a list of all the components (sans fender bracket, coax and NMO mount):
  • BaoFeng UV82-HP HT radio ($64.89)
  • BaoFeng UV82-HP Battery Eliminator with DC Adapter ($15.99)
  • Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna ($69.98)
  • UHF Female SO239 to UHF Male PL259 / 4 hole flange adapter ($2.89)
  • SMA female to UHF SO239 PL 259 female RG58 Adapter cable, 3 ft. ($17.95)
Other than the antenna, I purchased everything from Amazon. Below are a few photos of modifying the dash plate for the UHF adapter. Also, since I had things apart I went ahead and replaced the cigarette lighter with a Blue Sea Dual USB Fast Charger.

USB-UHF-dash-mount.jpg

USB-UHF-flange.jpg

USB-UHF-flange-2.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few photos of the previous coax run through the firewall, the NMO fender bracket, and the new Larsen 2/70 antenna (when running the Ham vs. CB radio).

Coax-through-firewall.jpg

Antenna-fender-mount.jpg

Larsen-270-antenna.jpg

I can't remember who gave me the suggestion, but the "plug" on the firewall is foam insulation for homes I picked up at Lowes or Home Depot. Sprayed a little to fill the gaps around the coax and seems to work well.

Coax-through-firewall.jpg

Last edited:
Below is a photo of the final product. Now I just need to find a way to hang the Baofeng on the mic hanger that sits just above the power outlet on the right in a blank on the center stack.

All in all, it seems to work well for what it is. When I took the Ham test last year, I fully intended to get a mobile unit vs. an HT, but my friend who I took the test with really wanted to jump in and get something cheap and easy to start using our radios. The radio/antenna combo hits all the repeaters on the mountain tops surrounding our valley. I've yet to use it on a trail run, but will over the next few weeks.

Anyway, hope that helps. I updated the first post to include the prices I paid to get started.

Beofeng-HP82-and-coax.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it would fit your radio or not but I bought one of these brackets from a guy on ExPo and it works well with my Baofeng UV5R. I haven't gotten it mounted in my LX but it worked really well on a bar I had above my dash in my previous JK. LINK

If you wanted to do a test fit we could probably figure out a way to meet up and check.

Do you plan to leave the antenna on all the time or do you remove it for day to day stuff?

Thanks Nate. I took a look at that when I considered my install, but decided to take a cue from @TheForger's thread and installed a Firestick mic hanger (see photo below from his thread). I'm hoping I can find a way to attach a button for the mic hanger so it can do double duty, CB+Ham. IDK, maybe Kiddmen's builder bracket could work. Worth a try if your willing to meet. Please PM me.

fullsizerender-15-jpg.1184390

I'm sure you could add a button to the back of the bracket. My plan is to 3d print something that will fit in my cup holder that I can use my RAM mount hardware with.

Do you plan to leave the antenna on all the time or do you remove it for day to day stuff?

Right now I'm using it daily, but over time I'll cover the mount with an NMO dust cap. The antenna fits both in my garage at home and at work.

81HVq6mDOfL._SX522_.jpg

If the battery eliminator for the 8 is built the same as the 5, you could separate the case and simply screw a Mic holder button to the eliminator. This would allow you to hang it on a Mic hanger.

I have been using the bracket from ExPo for a 5r attached with RAM equipment in my TJ for a year and have been pleased. Nice starter radio setup. Awesome for simplex. I am still trying to select equipment for the 100.

73's,
KE0EBF

@SmoothLC Wow I almost feel honored that my input was taken into consideration by one of the great MUD members;) Glad I could help and if you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask! Please keep us updated on the potential double-duty CB+HAM mount as I have also been interested in adding a HAM radio as well. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom