Cheap Buzzer for Headlight Mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
This Mod is care of Dynosoar who has a post about it in the "Best Mods under $50" thread ( LINK ) post # 157 ...

And after killing my battery for the 3rd time in a month, by leaving the lights on during the day, I finally had to PM Dynosoar 'cuz I couldn't find his post

I thought I'd just do a pictorial write up on it since people may not have seen it in a while and I did, after much searching, have to contact Dynosoar.

First you need this Radio Shack Buzzer (about $3.50). I could only find it under part # 273-055 LINK EDIT - SEE later posts for updated links.

So, for the blade type fuses, you simply place the RED buzzer lead under one side of the LEFT HEADLIGHT fuse and the BLACK lead under a blade of the GAUGES fuse.

Voila! Now, if you leave your lights on - Ignition off - you get a Buzzer - no more dead batteries.

Wish I had done this long ago ...

Thanks again, Dynosoar for this great and simple solution! :)

:cheers:
buzzer0002.jpg
buzzer0003.jpg
buzzer0006.jpg

Last edited:
If you want a more polished look, you can do this:

1. Remove the two bolts holding up the hood release handle.
  2. Remove the two bolts holding in the fuse panel.
  3. Push the fuse panel forward and down, so it swings free under the dash.
  4. Tap the same two lines behind the fuse panel.
  5. Put it all back together.

It's only a :banana: job, but if you're as anal as I am, it keeps it all a little tidier. (Don't ask why I care how tidy the inside of my fuse box is. I don't know. :meh:) Works exactly the same, though.

I am glad it worked out for you. I know this saved my butt many days. Best $3.25 you could spend!

Dynosoar:zilla:

It kept me from doing something stupid this past weekend. I consider it cheap insurance. And since I already had one of those buzzers lying around my parts bin, it was essentially free. Thanks, Dynosoar.

Well, it took me almost two years and tons of near-misses to finally take the 8 mins just to do it the easy way...

It's not really a problem on my '85. I've got a super-duper odyssey battery in there and I've left the lights on in that for hours and she still started, no prob. But in the '86, I've got a stinky Kirkland batt that if I leave on for an hour, all I get is a click-click.

Guess I could buy another Odyssey, but 4 bux is easier!

Thanks again, Peter!
:)

If you want a more polished look, you can do this:

1. Remove the two bolts holding up the hood release handle.
  2. Remove the two bolts holding in the fuse panel.
  3. Push the fuse panel forward and down, so it swings free under the dash.
  4. Tap the same two lines behind the fuse panel.
  5. Put it all back together.

It's only a :banana: job, but if you're as anal as I am, it keeps it all a little tidier. (Don't ask why I care how tidy the inside of my fuse box is. I don't know. :meh:) Works exactly the same, though.

That buzzer and a 350 ohm resistor should work just fine , for a 24V

VT

No way--That's too easy! I'd doing that tomorrow.

so glad you posted this. i had the buzzer installed previously but removed it last summer when i was having some electrical issues. i didn't get around to re-installing it because i couldn't remember which fuses the leads plugged into.

i hadn't realized how dependent i had become on the warning buzzer until i removed it :eek:

It saved my ass twice today - really ... I don't know why I blank out about the lights.

I drive with my lights on during the day 'cuz there's so many idiots in Los Angeles driving with a face full of burger - cell phone - lipstick - looking at their txts - you name it, that I try to give myself the smallest margin of improved safety by keeping the lights always on.

Hey cool, never saw this one before. Yet another one to put on the list...

Sweet mod! Going to do this immediately. Needs to be included in the best mods <$50. (Why isn't that thread a sticky?)

For the other :banana:s out there, since I had a 60 and 62 outside, I took a quick look and this mod also will also work with the 62 fuse block. (The two blocks are almost identical, just a few extra fuses for the EFI, etc, and higher amperage fuses for hotter headlights.)

Easy Done

hardest part was finding a 1" strip of doublesided sticky tape to attach the buzzer to at the bottom of the tray area.

For those who haven' t yet done this, its really as easy as described. Buzzer doesn't go off if you have the ignition on, so if you need to have the lights on for some reason without having it running, you don't have to have the buzzer going off.

Glenn in Tucson

awesome!

That buzzer and a 350 ohm resistor should work just fine , for a 24V

VT

Thanks for making it even easier to continue being a forgetful ass! I'll be doing this as soon as the engine is back together!
Jeff

It saved my ass twice today - really ... I don't know why I blank out about the lights.

I drive with my lights on during the day 'cuz there's so many idiots in Los Angeles driving with a face full of burger - cell phone - lipstick - looking at their txts - you name it, that I try to give myself the smallest margin of improved safety by keeping the lights always on.

Ck it Spike Strip

aaaah... couldn't past it, but there is a sign out there at a church...

Honk if you Love Jesus, Text While Driving if You Want to Meet Him.

Ok so I decide to do this mod today and I go get the alarm from Radio Shack and come inside to drop some stuff off and go back out to install the alarm..........my f'ing lights are on:doh: I needed to do this more than anyone!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom