Charcoal Canister Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been smelling fuel the last couple mornings. I have also noticed my mpg dropped down quite a bit. Take a couple more cranks to fire than normal. One other symptom was I popped the gas cap and there was a significant vacuum.

So all signs pointed toward my charcoal canister. I pulled it and checked it per the fsm. Sure enough it's clogged. Autozone no longer carries them. Toyota no longer carries them. Oreilly's no longer carries them. So I guess that leave me with @LandCruiserPhil 's method of opening it up and taking the check valve out. However, without getting into a debate on emissions is there a reason I couldn't just vent the tank without the canister and plug the purge line? We don't have smog or emissions here.

Second part of this is I hope I haven't cracked my gas tank. Since I have been smelling fuel is this a probablitily? I have searched but all I can find is it usually splits on top of the tank? I haven't seen any fuel dripping. Would the tank still hold a vacuum with a crack in it?

Thanks for all the help.

You sure it was tank vacuum? Not pressure?

You probably wouldn't have tank vacuum (or pressure) with a crack.

Venting the tank to atmosphere increases the chances of condensation and water in the tank, and the near-constant fuel smell is unpleasant. Beyond that there isn't much risk as long as you keep the vehicle upright.

I cut mine open recently and replaced the activated charcoal with some new stuff purchased on Amazon. A little FIPG to seal the rim and it was good to go, no changes to the check valve or anything.

Tried the same with mine, including cleaning the check valves as best I could with copious amounts of carb cleaner.. still didn't work as it's supposed to.

@bloc im 95% sure it was a vacuum and not pressure. When I pulled the tank hose off the charcoal filter there was a very apparent and drawn out vacuum between the house and tank. I would say it lasted for 30 seconds or so before it stopped. I think I might just vent it without the filter for now until I can either modify my current filter or source a new one. Should I put a small universal filter on the end of the vent hose? Any ideas of good places to stash the end of the hose to vent well?

Purge line into engine needs to be plugged so that it doesn't draw anything into the engine via vacuum when activated. Small filter on vent line is a good idea. underhood is convenient, but personally I wouldn't want all of those vapors under there. Not that there are many better options.

Many guys just run the autozone VC120 (IIRC) canister. It is a little too big for the bracket but readily available and inexpensive.

You sure its still available? I haven't had any luck getting it.
My system shows one in our Boston warehouse right now. Should be able to order it at any O'Reilly store, with a small shipping charge.

My system shows one in our Boston warehouse right now. Should be able to order it at any O'Reilly store, with a small shipping charge.

haha. that funny because I just ordred that one. I called Oreilly's this morning and asked if they had any for a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix. They had one in Boston so I ordered it with 2 day shipping. No where else had anything (autozone, toyota, Napa, etc...)

So in the meantime I plugged in a little inline fuel filter in the end of the hose that goes to the tank and zip tied it up in the engine compartment. Should keep crap out of the vent line and still let the tank vent. Then I used a vacuum cap to plug the purge port. Funniest thing is after I did this and drove it, my CEL that has been on because of P0401 for over a year is now gone.....:bounce:

Out of curiosity I did a search on Amazon for "charcoal canister" and this was the third result:

Amazon.com: ACDelco 215-153 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister: Automotive

They don't list the dimensions or features, but for that price or might be worth trying to adapt it, or look for some more info on this model.
If you click on the link that says "See more product details" at the end of the description on your link page you will see this info:

Brand
ACDelco
Item Weight 1.6 pounds
Product Dimensions 8.8 x 5.6 x 5.4 inches
Item model number 215-153
Manufacturer Part Number 215-153
OEM Part Number 17113148

You sure its still available? I haven't had any luck getting it.

Just picked this up today. $45 with a coupon at O'Reillys.

IMG_8628.JPG

i picked up a cv 120 at outdone yesterday fixed my problem.
i am going to redo my original and eventually pt it back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom