CCOT Replica Tank Install for 67 FJ40? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I currently have 2 fj40's with sbc's using the later stk toyota tanks. I have the 3 lines you show with red dots blocked off, except for the return line. I have no problems with fillups except for when it's full, its full. I can't really add more fuel, without it spilling out.

Last edited:
I currently have 2 fj40's with sbc's using the later stk toyota tanks. I have the 3 lines you show with red dots blocked off, except for the return line. I have no problems with fillups except for when it's full, its full. I can't really add more fuel, without it spilling out.

Does your fuel return line come off the fuel-pump, or carb? I don't think my 327 has a fuel return setup.. I wonder if that is my issue?

Adventure,

In theory, you're right--the problem should not be happening. However, something you cannot see may be causing the blockage.

If it were me, I would remove the seat and then the main filler neck hose at the tank and look inside with a flashlight. Same for the sender unit--remove and look inside. Possibly use a bent coat hanger to feel around inside. Also run the coat hanger into the tank vent line and down the main neck as well. Then if nothing, drain out the gas and remove the tank for a better view.

Since the seller already mentioned the problem, someone could have purposely or accidentally put something down the fill neck--a sponge, an old sock, some tampons from a jealous girlfriend; perhaps the tank was coated inside, or surgery done to the tank that's only visible once you see the bottom of the tank.

Somewhat related: I noticed years ago that one of the toilets in my new-to-me house was slow to flush, plunged it repeatedly--no luck. Ran a snake with a coiled-end into it and pulled out a ladies eyelash curler that would block toilet paper and "stuff" until things dissolved. Appears one of the previous owner's little kids liked to flush Mommy's stuff down the toilet for kicks.

Anyway, good luck with your adventure.

Does your fuel return line come off the fuel-pump, or carb? I don't think my 327 has a fuel return setup.. I wonder if that is my issue?

The return line is at the pump. I used to have a single line with no return. I never had problems with that setup either. A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to go with a return line pump so the fuel would recirculate to help cool the pump and fuel.

Last edited:
On a 67 there was no return line, pump or the tank. Not sure what year that diagram is of a early tank it isn't anything from a 70 or early. 72 and some 71s had alot more emissions including tanks in the back of the small center section of the passenger's seat and the at the back of the passenger's rear wheel well. Those had more connections.

I will add in the diagram of the early tank the one marked return is the supply line hook up and is a threaded fitting. I verified this on my 70 had a spare gas tank I removed. Also change over valve feed was from the side of the tank and not the bottom.

Last edited:
Problem solve! There was an impartial piece of tape blocking the filler neck, appears the PO failed to remove it while installing the new tank/filler neck. Doh! Removed, refitted and she takes a full tank without hesitation.

Thanks, everyone, really appreciate all of your assistance, time & expertise!

I dropped her off at Toyota of HB this morning to get her checked out, aligned, tuned and new weatherstripping put in. Can't wait to get her back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom