CB mounted above/to rear view mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me if someone has touched on this but I couldn't find anything in a search.

I was pretty stoked to get a Uniden 520 to do the CB ashtray mod all to find out that the 91 ashtray is too small. Oh well, should have read more...

I know I can mount different CBs in the dash under my single-din stereo but I'd like to use the uniden.

Has anyone ever mounted a smaller CB above their rear view mirror? I don't have a sun roof so I don't have any of the controls/dome light in that spot.

Something like this:

image.jpeg

CA Highway Patrol can be a bit fussy about anything between the driver and ANY of the windshield. People hang graduation tassels and other doodads (fuzzy dice) around the rear view; but technically those are illegal. It would take a cop following tightly to the laws before you'd get a ticket, but sometimes people get tickets for no mud flaps, or no front license.

A buddy recently ordered an overhead console from @Akella I think. Looks really nice if you have a blue/grey interior. There is a center section for a radio, CB, etc. There is a thread on it somewhere here.

A buddy recently ordered an overhead console from @Akella I think. Looks really nice if you have a blue/grey interior. There is a center section for a radio, CB, etc. There is a thread on it somewhere here.

Are you talking about the small console Toyota console or something longer like the outback overhead console? Outback is the only one I could find with a search, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help

There is a version like the Outback that spans the entire windshield. I searched as well and couldn't find the thread. I'll ask my buddy, but he is out camping this weekend. Might hook up with him on Monday.

Here are a couple of pics viewed from the outside. Not what you want but gives you bit of an idea. I'm pissed that I can't find the thread.

image.jpeg

Here are a couple of pics viewed from the outside. Not what you want but gives you bit of an idea. I'm pissed that I can't find the thread.

View attachment 1333258
Yes I can see what you mean for sure. I've seen a lot of 70s with consoles like that and it would be so sick to get one in an 80. Do you know if they made it or if they purchased it?

I think he purchased it, but it could have come with the HDJ81 he picked up recently. It has map pocket on each side of the center portion. It is not hand made.

I am interested in this also

I think he purchased it, but it could have come with the HDJ81 he picked up recently. It has map pocket on each side of the center portion. It is not hand made.
That sounds awesome. I'm looking too, but let me know if you find the thread.

An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that
is not greater than five inches square, if the device provides either of the following:
(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped
with the device.
(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.*

Synopsis:
-if CHP can communicate with said device
-if said device is facilitating a payment to travel on toll roads / bridges

Which makes no sense whatsoever, as if it's okay if you mount a Fastrak, or CHP talky talky, or silicone a piece of toast in said space. Because it serves some interest to the man it makes the obstruction acceptable, otherwise you are waiting to get picked off for a stop. I digress.

*This information may be from 1972 I copied it from a teletype after wasting 30 seconds of my life looking through CVC and face palmed myself back in to the important part of this discussion, where to get cool upper consoles-

IDK if Johnny Law goes out of their way to hassle radar detector guys in your area, but up here hanging it there would get you a 2nd look from a LEO having a crap day pulling traffic duty.

Just something you might consider, despite the location being one you prefer.

IDK if Johnny Law goes out of their way to hassle radar detector guys in your area, but up here hanging it there would get you a 2nd look from a LEO having a crap day pulling traffic duty.

Just something you might consider, despite the location being one you prefer.

That makes sense. I'm hoping to get some kind of console set up like the one pictured above.

Sorry, I forgot. That is in the one. He got it from @Akella. He said he thinks it was the last one, from his own vehicle, but try contacting him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom