CB/HAM/Cell headset? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put an aircraft intercom system in one of the last military vehicle restorations that I finished. Just a simple 12v interface box, two headsets with boom mics. They were very nice noise cancelling, jell filled.... David something or the other, bought them on ebay used. The little interface box had two or three 10mm input jacks. I ran one to the radio and one to my I phone for music. Worked flawlessly and was extremely simple. Allowed VOX communication between the two people in the cab, PTT was also available. Now converting it with a switch box to go between three of four sources, I'm not sure. I'm sure that you could run the audio from CB/HAM, radio and Cell phone into the headset. That would be as simple as plugging in the 10mm output.

It make me want to give a play by play of everything like I was a sports caster on the sidelines with the headphones on however....

I put an aircraft intercom system in one of the last military vehicle restorations that I finished. Just a simple 12v interface box, two headsets with boom mics. They were very nice noise cancelling, jell filled.... David something or the other, bought them on ebay used. The little interface box had two or three 10mm input jacks. I ran one to the radio and one to my I phone for music. Worked flawlessly and was extremely simple. Allowed VOX communication between the two people in the cab, PTT was also available. Now converting it with a switch box to go between three of four sources, I'm not sure. I'm sure that you could run the audio from CB/HAM, radio and Cell phone into the headset. That would be as simple as plugging in the 10mm output.

It make me want to give a play by play of everything like I was a sports caster on the sidelines with the headphones on however....

If this is an aircraft intercom system it is probably from David Clark (DC). They became the rage starting in the mid 70s for noise-attenuating/hearing protection for pilots/aircrew, while also mitigating reception and transmission, at normal voice levels, in a noisy cabin.

Great systems to be sure but over time, especially with your 4x4's windows open, things are going to get warm/sweaty anywhere the large over-the-head (OTH) or behind-the-head (BTH) over-the-ear headset touches you. Plus you are tethered via a hard line to the interface box. The DCs work great where white/ambient cockpit or crew compartment noise levels are much higher due to spinning turbos, turbines and/or props/rotors but on the ground, you may want to be able to have SA from the ground environment in and around the vehicle.

Are there bluetooth speaker/mic combo systems out there that interface with the Cobra and Uniden mic ops control systems? Ear buds would be a great application here too. Is there an application to interface CB with our PEDs? For example, I've got a Curt Echo Trailer braking system tied into my PED.

Cobra Bluetooth CB Headset

Light weight and cool to the touch over time would be the bomb here I believe. Bose has been kicking ass these days but they are not cheap either...

Cheers mates,
G

Last edited:

Yes, a very good closed system between two people and pricey. What kinda car-to-car (simplex) range is available with your buddies in your off-roading group? Can they all afford the same closed system? Over-the-head (OTH) systems can get cumbersome over time.

An amplified speaker is much less and works great. Rugged radio makes intercom kits.

An amplified speaker is much less and works great. Rugged radio makes intercom kits.

Always on point Mike. Cheers mate. Speaker is probably the cheapest, most reliable route. RR are very proud of their kit.

Back to my original need.... I would like to not have to reach out for the mic every time I want to talk. PTT or something similar with a headset/mic is what I'm hoping for.
Yes, bluetooth/wireless would be best.

Back to my original need.... I would like to not have to reach out for the mic every time I want to talk. PTT or something similar with a headset/mic is what I'm hoping for.
Yes, bluetooth/wireless would be best.

Not sure of the Cobra boxes it will work with but I found this in my searches...

Cheers mate,
G

My HAM radio has a bluetooth module that you can use. You can pair your phone and/or a headset. CB needs to die, so just throw that radio out, and maybe a modern HAM with bluetooth integration will work well enough for you.

Older Yaesu FTM-350R. Many of the mid-range mobile units have this functionality. Looks like the newer FTM-3000 and FTM-4000 both have this as well.

I got my radio used on ebay.

I was just on a trail run with a very large group, all using CB. The trail had a long section of sharp switchbacks (a loong way down the hillside) I could not let go of the steering wheel to communicate, unless I stopped, thus holding up the entire group behind me. Picking up the mic to talk, while driving, was not safe. A push to talk switch on the steering wheel, plus a boom mic headset, would have solved this.

Cheap seats alternative to expensive Aviation Headset - PC Gaming headset?

Seems to me that the legality aspect is not applicable offroad?

Another thing - as someone with significant hearing loss, I find that, regardless of environment noise, having the speaker close coupled to the ear (headphones, especially enclosed type) is very much easier to understand. It's not a matter of being loud enough. There is much more to it than that.
Also, a noise canceling microphone, held very close to the mouth, makes a big improvement in outgoing audio quality. Can be cheap (it's not an expensive technology).

Last edited:
A push to talk switch on the steering wheel, plus a boom mic headset, would have solved this.
With significant hearing loss, regardless of environment noise, having the speaker close coupled to the ear (headphones, especially enclosed type) is very much easier to understand. Also, a noise canceling microphone, held very close to the mouth, makes a big improvement in outgoing audio quality. Can be cheap (it's not an expensive technology).

Agreed @Bambusiero but finding compatibility with the smaller "off road" systems is hard to find especially with the prevailing attitudes of going away from the old school CB comms. My Gamer Son advised the same thing WRT your boom mic headset if you could find compatibility...
The headset I found back in Thread #23 & 28 works with Cobra CB systems but not sure which or whether mods can be made to get some compatibility. Cobra advertises "Plug the Bluetooth accessory into any 4-pin microphone jack and the headset can sync with your CB radio and/or cell phone. Once synced you can use voice calling, adjust the call volume and put calls on hold while you speak through the CB radio. The kit also includes a remote push-to-talk button that can be mounted in a variety of easy-to-reach locations."
Just having a PTT switch/button clipped to your shirt would be helpful for quick Comms while maintaining steering wheel control w/one hand..

I found a Uniden Bearcat CMX760 "Off Road" on eBay, an "open box", for a significant savings but I need to see a CB Pro to determine if mods are available for these small form factor hide-away boxes.

I remember back when we were running around with bone mics hardwired to our Blackberries w/PTT in my previous special surveillance work life but that tech wasn't cheap. Maybe today it might be...?

Thanks for sharing your info mate.
Cheers,
G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom