CB/HAM/Cell headset?

woytovich

I'm fake news
SILVER Star

PROBLEM:
Truck is noisy.
Multiple potential sources of electronic communication.
Multiple devices are hard to deal with (cell phone bluetooth headset, CB mic, HAM mic...)

SOLUTION:
I want to be able to use a wired headset with a mike on a boom near my mouth while in the truck. I want to be able to use this one headset for CB, HAM and Cell communications. I want to be able to choose the source (no auto switching) and I want to be able to monitor (hear) CB and HAM at the same time and then choose which to use for transmit. I presume a PTT (push to talk) button on the headset wire would be needed for CB and HAM. I would want cell conversations to not need PTT.

I have seen some similar products for the motorcycle world but not QUITE this.

Existing commercial product?
Custom wiring project?

Thoughts?

chupacabra

Custom wiring project I'd bet, but shouldn't be that difficult. You'll have to be careful to balance the receiver volumes of all the devices.

woytovich

I'm fake news
SILVER Star

The CB/HAM switch should be easy... it is the addition of the cell that adds complexity I imagine.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

The solution is simple and easy, search on aviation head sets, it is not however inexpensive.
A20 Aviation Headset
You can also find an intercom unit that allows you to monitor your comm radio, stereo/cd, and pick up your cell phone, even talk with your passenger. These units are fairly inexpensive, the headphones are the killer.

Example of a typical aircraft intercom unit;
AVCOMM AC-2EX INTERCOM from Aircraft Spruce

lovetoski

GOLD Star

My solution was to make my truck quieter. Replaced the door and window seals. Added noise abatement materials throughout all doors, floor, firewall. Now is much more comfortable on long trips, easier to talk to passengers, and cell/radio conversations are way easier.

woytovich

I'm fake news
SILVER Star

Bringing this back from the dead... with a simplified requirement:

I want a headset (or just "remote" mic) for my Kenwood 2m mobile (RJ-45 mic plug FWIW). I want an easy PTT on the wire or, better yet, that I can mount within easy reach from the steering wheel. This is for my tow vehicle, not my wheeling 60. the speaker side can stay put.

I think something like this is the ticket. Add a PTT momentary switch and a cheap headset/mic?

Cable for Heil headsets 3.5mm jack to 8p8c modular RJ45 for Kenwood, AD-1-KM equivalent - TechnoFix UK

woytovich

I'm fake news
SILVER Star

Bumping this thread. Anyone have any ideas on good ham radio headsets. Need to plug in in place of the mic and external speaker I guess on my Kenwood 2 meter mobile.

woytovich

I'm fake news
SILVER Star

Maybe what I need is an adapter that plugs into the microphone socket on the front of the radio and the external speaker on the back and converts that to the two pin plugs that are common on PC headsets? Would need a headset with a push-to-talk option of some sort.

you can't legally wear headphones while driving around here. The fix for installing a mobile radio in a tractor or dozer was an external speaker mounted above the seatbelt bolt on inside door pillar plastic near driver's head.

Top Bottom