CATASTROPHE!!! Transfer Case Broken... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KC Cruiser said:
Is this the type of expansion plug I need to find, or is there a different kind I need to look for?
6fc6c110.jpg
Looks like that would work. I've seen other expansion plugs in non automotive use that have an operating lever instead of just a nut, so they can be removed by hand without using tools. I've also seen yet others that have a small tee bolt, that also can be tightened and loosened by hand.

Scott, given that the plug seals with a gasket, I would guess that it is a straight thread and not tapered.

You can pick up the T handle kind from any boating supply store. AKA the plug. ;)

Rich said:
Scott, given that the plug seals with a gasket, I would guess that it is a straight thread and not tapered.

Correct.

Boat Plug

This is the T handle plug to look for.

They're normally anywhere from $3-$15. Remember anything with a boat means moving the decimal point over 1-2 places for the same piece!!

B.O.A.T. = Bring Out Another Thousand

- Tim
boat plug.jpg

Search http://www.mcmaster.com/, they have Expandable Tapered SBR Rubber Plugs for a couple bucks. SBR (styrene butadiene rubber) with stainless steel hardware. SBR is good for max 200F, 170F for long-term use.

I found these on the mcmaster site.
2527kp1l.gif

They have a max temp of 250F, suppose they will work?

From the site:

T-Stem Test Plugs

Steel
• Plate: Zinc-plated steel
• Stem: Zinc-plated steel
• Handle: Brass
• Seal: Neoprene
• Temperature Range: -50° to +250° F

KC Cruiser said:
suppose they will work?
for short drives, sure. How hot will that tranfer case get? The proper rubber would be Viton or Buna-N, but you're not likely to find a plug made of it. I'd hate to find a mess of melted rubber under there.

I'm still wondering if you can put the threaded plug back in the threaded hole somehow. McMaster has Viton and Buna-N flat washers, maybe to fit the threaded hole and seal better against that broken surface.

I have no personal experience, but am aware that there are expansion plugs that are used to replace engine oil drain plugs, which would in a matter of course get hotter than the transfer case.

JB weld. wont catch anything on fire. clean everything with parts cleaner, sand a little of that lovely red off, use a JB donut around the broken threaded piece. If that doesnt work, you could remove the case and have it TIG welded. welding on the vehicle could lead to a fire inside the transfer case you cant get to with any handy refreshing beverages.:beer:.

Save the beverages for yourself. I wouldn't worry about the fire, there isn't enough oxygen inside to burn the oil. Try the cheepe JBweld, if leaky have someone weld it up. I have seen this happen before, a customer came in complaning of a leak, found the bung that yours broke off, yet thiers was just split in 1/2. Filled it up and then used a longer plug, and RTV, they never compalained about it again.

I could TIG it myself but wouldn’t go to that much trouble
of removing it.

I would drill and tap the original plug and epoxy it in the
few threads that are left, so accentually you would thread a smaller
plug or bolt in to the original one.

if you do use epoxy (JB weld), CLEAN!!! every thing with MEK
or equivalent solvent that will make you sterile and cross-eyed
and rough up the threads to be epoxyed

Well, at this point I've just put a high-temp rubber expansion plug in for the time being. So far so good, driven about 50 miles with the plug in and no seeping or anything.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the petroleum
degrading the rubber.
You will know if it does, the rubber will get either soft and sticky
or hard and brittle

davisdrafting said:
The only thing I would be concerned about is the petroleum
degrading the rubber.
You will know if it does, the rubber will get either soft and sticky
or hard and brittle

So far so good as far as breakdown of the rubber is concerned, although I know it will probably take a while before it begins to show the effects if it does start to break down. I'm going to check it again tonight.

why not comprimise between a leaky rubber plug and new t/case and.......
get a replacement for the half that is damaged. This is not that uncommon
a malfunction with this t/case large plug and alumi case.
your local dealership can get one for ya $450 or so?

36104-60030, list $375.25. Currently 2 pieces in the US.

You can find the rubber plugs at True Value and maybe Ace.

I would go with the zappy zap.

The rubber plugs should be fine until you get down time for a permanant fix. I use the same rubber plugs on our WWII era airplane (radial engine exhaust stacks) for winter/long term storage. I have had the same set for 10 yrs and as some of you know radials leak oil. When I pull the plugs in spring I get a pint of oil out both stacks. There shouldn't be any trouble with 80w-90 from the xfer.

cruiserdan said:
36104-60030, list $375.25. Currently 2 pieces in the US.
How difficult is repairing the broken piece, I mean, is everything from inside the case gonna come flying out if/when I take it apart? I would much rather go that way than having it welded up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom