CATASTROPHE!!! Transfer Case Broken... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan said:
36104-60030, list $375.25. Currently 2 pieces in the US.

That is much less than I would have guessed. Jump on that, install a new output bearing while doing the repair and drive on. What would we do without Cruiserdan?

I'm all for fixing things properly. I really don't like hacks. But in this case, with 200k miles on the truck, I don't think I would invest in the labor and expense to replace the case. I expect that rubber plug will last as long as long or longer than all the other rubber parts on the truck.

If a good tig welder thought he could do a excellant job with the case installed (I.E. welder has access to a vehicle lift), then I would consider doing that. Otherwise, I think I would hold off and live with the plug.

Perhaps sometime in the future the transfer case will need to come out for other driveline service, in which case that would be an opportunity to have it welded at no addtional labor expense for removal and reinstallation.

I replaced my fill plugs (both diffs and xfer case with magnetic drain plugs from SOR. about $2.47a piece. (Don't know if it will help in your situation).
AllenHead[1].jpg

UPDATE:
Well the the oil broke down the plug a little so I removed it (got soft and sticky). Now I'm back to square one. Still not sure what I want to do yet.

-Andrew

GET IT T.I.G. WELDED! This is your best option.

KC Cruiser said:
...Well the the oil broke down the plug a little so I removed it (got soft and sticky)...Still not sure what I want to do yet...
If you want to stay with the plug then go to one of the fast change oil & lube shops. Find out what they use for stripped out oil pan plugs. There are expansion plugs that can take the heat of an engine oil pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom