Carrying extra fuel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Planning a trip in another cruiser. Factory roof rack, factory rear bumper. I feel like I probably need to carry 10 gallons of gas. Any good suggestions?

Have access to one of those hitch mounted baskets? Not sure what the weight rating is on those things, but that might work. Other than that I’d say in between the roof rack rails.

Quick math says you’re looking at 60+ lbs of gas.

Last edited:
I agree. A basket that was hitch mounted and rested on the bumper would feel better. That way it isn’t dragging low.

Mounting it between the rails might work as well. There will be a thule up there already. Still room for two gas cans, I’m just not sure how they would mount.

Have access to one of those hitch mounted baskets? Not sure what the weight rating is on those things, but that might work. Other than that I’d say in between the roof rack rails.

Quick math says you’re looking at 60+ lbs of gas.
Plus tanks, so probably closer to 80# .

80 gallon rubbermaid container on the back seat

My vote is plastic bags in the trunk!
25A3164C-F6C3-499B-B947-6E1F81B00485.jpeg

I'm not trying to get rid of my cruiser :)

What kind of gas cans do you have ? Is the trip on road or off road. A hitch mounted carrier would work if you won't encounter any dips or steep places where it will hit.
Or you can get a roof basket and put the gas up there. Harbor Freight makes a sturdy roof basket for less than $100.00.

I bought one for my wife's Forester when we had to carry extra gas during the Texas freeze . I stopped in Pensacola ,FL bought a roof basket and three 5 gallon can cans and did not spend a fortune. Sold the basket the day after I got home.

This is the way.

@NookShneer post pics of my under-body jerry can experiment that got wrapped around my rear driveshaft

For what its worth I've used my 5 gallon Waivan cans for a year now and full of gas on 2 long trips through Mexico, most of which were offroad trails and various elevations. These were tied down using ratchet straps INSIDE my Four Wheel Camper. Even after using them to refuel, I never got a hint of gasoline smell. Just an option that doesn't break the bank and makes it very easy to refuel without dealing with external mounting on the roof.

I've attempted to use jerry cans of various designs for 30 years now, none of which were ever an enjoyable experience. The Waivan cans exceeded my expectations by a long shot. No smells, no drips, no issues. Highly recommended.

@nukegoat was working on a new bladder system for the doors. Might check in with him. Also, might be why we haven’t heard anything from him in a bit.
Bladder for the rear quarter panels might work. Hadn't considered that for gas though.

What kind of gas cans do you have ? Is the trip on road or off road. A hitch mounted carrier would work if you won't encounter any dips or steep places where it will hit.
Or you can get a roof basket and put the gas up there. Harbor Freight makes a sturdy roof basket for less than $100.00.

I bought one for my wife's Forester when we had to carry extra gas during the Texas freeze . I stopped in Pensacola ,FL bought a roof basket and three 5 gallon can cans and did not spend a fortune. Sold the basket the day after I got home.
That sounds like a solid solution. Just in case.

For what its worth I've used my 5 gallon Waivan cans for a year now and full of gas on 2 long trips through Mexico, most of which were offroad trails and various elevations. These were tied down using ratchet straps INSIDE my Four Wheel Camper. Even after using them to refuel, I never got a hint of gasoline smell. Just an option that doesn't break the bank and makes it very easy to refuel without dealing with external mounting on the roof.

I've attempted to use jerry cans of various designs for 30 years now, none of which were ever an enjoyable experience. The Waivan cans exceeded my expectations by a long shot. No smells, no drips, no issues. Highly recommended.
I'm going to look into those. That would be a good solution. Avoiding fumes will be important.

2nd the Wavian cans. Zero stink. They also don’t leak if turned upside down. If you transport them inside the vehicle secure them well wait until the last possible stop before filling them.

I much prefer them outside the vehicle but I have stored them inside the 80 (well secured) with zero issues as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom