Can't find a place to finish '76 FJ40 restoration (Phoenix, ARIZONA) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short:

• Purchased the FJ40 over a year ago. I'm 22 and have invested 1500 hours, and 15k+ in brand new oem parts, restoration tools, etc...
  • Took it apart after driving it twice thinking i could restore it quickly.
  • Took longer than expected.
  • Was working on it outside my parent's house prior to getting married. (They got tired of seeing it)
  • Did everything the right way with everyone's help here on ih8mud, bare metal, frame off restoration.
  • Replaced quarters, did all the body work, epoxy primer, sealer, etc...
  • Found a paint shop that was going to do the rest.
  • Brought it to paint shop on a trailer, paint shop called the next day and said they didn't have the time... (UGH)
  • Had it towed to a storage unit. (SAD)
  • Got married in January. (AWESOME, She supports my FJ40 craze. In fact, she learned how to sand paint, do bodywork, and spray epoxy primer!)
  • Moved to China for business.
  • I'm returning to Phoenix in September and can't seem to find a piece of land, or reasonably priced place to rent to restore it. Warehouses wouldn't make sense for me to rent either since there is only a week left of work in bodywork to make it perfect. We'll be staying in an apartment until our house is built in the next couple years, so i can't use a backyard of my own.

Looking for FJ40 friends in Phoenix, Arizona. (I'm in northern Glendale to be exact)
If you know any paint shops in the area that rent out a booth at a reasonable rate, let me know.

Thank you in advance for your time and help. P.S. the green fj40 was prior to restoration. Mirrors, rust, etc have all been removed and repaired.I like original, but appreciate upgrades like the upgraded axles, slight lift, and larger tires. May end up choosing to go with 33" instead of 35".

IMG_4303.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

Sorry to hear of your dilemma but at 22y/o you have time to figure something out.
Congrats on getting hitched. Sounds like you have a good one in the fact that she is taking an interest in your project.
Make sure you support her in her's and things will work out.
Back when I was about the same age as you I poured a bunch of money into a motorcycle and while my young wife didn't help me work on it she quietly let me spend the money and rode with me after it was done.
A few years later I sold the bike and gave her all the money.
I told her she had put up with me spending the money so now it was her turn to spend some.
The little siht came home with a new ironing board and a vacuum cleaner.
I had to go out with her and make her buy herself some clothes and shoes.

Did you photo shop the green toy picture?
The right front tire looks like it has had computer work.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma but at 22y/o you have time to figure something out.
Congrats on getting hitched. Sounds like you have a good one in the fact that she is taking an interest in your project.
Make sure you support her in her's and things will work out.
Back when I was about the same age as you I poured a bunch of money into a motorcycle and while my young wife didn't help me work on it she quietly let me spend the money and rode with me after it was done.
A few years later I sold the bike and gave her all the money.
I told her she had put up with me spending the money so now it was her turn to spend some.
The little siht came home with a new ironing board and a vacuum cleaner.
I had to go out with her and make her buy herself some clothes and shoes.

Did you photo shop the green toy picture?
The right front tire looks like it has had computer work.

Thank you for the reply and encouragement! It's true, I do have some time to figure it out. Haha! Great story! Sounds like you have something special.

No photoshop, why do you ask?

You might find a hot-rod shop or a used car lot, and ask them who they use for jobs like this. There are old paint shop guys who work out of their house or rent space, and still do nice work and odd jobs.

Big chain body shops don't want slow non-insurance jobs like 'old trucks', but small shops are used to projects like yours. You might get a big boost (psychologically) by having a shop do all the paint work, and then you and your wife can do the reassembly, which is much more fun. Might be the best money you ever spent to kick the project forward. Of course, you can still paint it yourself if you're inclined.

You might find a hot-rod shop or a used car lot, and ask them who they use for jobs like this. There are old paint shop guys who work out of their house or rent space, and still do nice work and odd jobs.

Big chain body shops don't want slow non-insurance jobs like 'old trucks', but small shops are used to projects like yours. You might get a big boost (psychologically) by having a shop do all the paint work, and then you and your wife can do the reassembly, which is much more fun. Might be the best money you ever spent to kick the project forward. Of course, you can still paint it yourself if you're inclined.

Thanks a Steve. I didn't think about asking used car lots & hot rod shops. Great idea!

I appreciate the advice! Such a helpful community here. Blessed!

Their is a small car dealer in a old gas station on the southeast corner of Peoria ave and 99th ave. He had early FJ40 he said he planned on restoring. It's gone now and never inquires to what happened to it. Could also post up in the only active club in AZ who is on Mud. That would be Copper State Cruisers.

Their is a small car dealer in a old gas station on the southeast corner of Peoria ave and 99th ave. He had early FJ40 he said he planned on restoring. It's gone now and never inquires to what happened to it. Could also post up in the only active club in AZ who is on Mud. That would be Copper State Cruisers.

more excellent info! I'm so glad I posted. I'll try and get in contact with the dealer over there. Sounds like a great conversation at the very least.

I didn't know copper state cruisers was in AZ. Thx again for all the info!

I live in your area (43rd ave and pinnacle peak). I have restored several Cruisers at my house over the last 10 years.
Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. I also have several friends with shops that might be able to help you.

Hey Jack! Yes, you're very close to us. I really would appreciate meeting up with you. I'll send you a message with my phone number. We fly back to Arizona on the 5th of September.

Thank you for the reply and encouragement! It's true, I do have some time to figure it out. Haha! Great story! Sounds like you have something special.

No photoshop, why do you ask?

We are celebrating our 49th today.
Not trying to find any fault, just the front right tire and fender just looks touched up.
I like the looks of the green one and the one in the storage looks promising.

We are celebrating our 49th today.
Not trying to find any fault, just the front right tire and fender just looks touched up.
I like the looks of the green one and the one in the storage looks promising.

Congratulations! We hope to be blessed with that many years together.

Looks like it's just the angle of the tire & lighting. :)

It's going to be painted heath grey. Can't wait to drive it again. Nothing like a 40.

Long story short:

• Purchased the FJ40 over a year ago. I'm 22 and have invested 1500 hours, and 15k+ in brand new oem parts, restoration tools, etc...
  • Took it apart after driving it twice thinking i could restore it quickly.
  • Took longer than expected.
  • Was working on it outside my parent's house prior to getting married. (They got tired of seeing it)
  • Did everything the right way with everyone's help here on ih8mud, bare metal, frame off restoration.
  • Replaced quarters, did all the body work, epoxy primer, sealer, etc...
  • Found a paint shop that was going to do the rest.
  • Brought it to paint shop on a trailer, paint shop called the next day and said they didn't have the time... (UGH)
  • Had it towed to a storage unit. (SAD)
  • Got married in January. (AWESOME, She supports my FJ40 craze. In fact, she learned how to sand paint, do bodywork, and spray epoxy primer!)
  • Moved to China for business.
  • I'm returning to Phoenix in September and can't seem to find a piece of land, or reasonably priced place to rent to restore it. Warehouses wouldn't make sense for me to rent either since there is only a week left of work in bodywork to make it perfect. We'll be staying in an apartment until our house is built in the next couple years, so i can't use a backyard of my own.

Looking for FJ40 friends in Phoenix, Arizona. (I'm in northern Glendale to be exact)
If you know any paint shops in the area that rent out a booth at a reasonable rate, let me know.

Thank you in advance for your time and help. P.S. the green fj40 was prior to restoration. Mirrors, rust, etc have all been removed and repaired.I like original, but appreciate upgrades like the upgraded axles, slight lift, and larger tires. May end up choosing to go with 33" instead of 35".

View attachment 1742447

View attachment 1742448
Nice color I mean I wish I could move down to Arizona but the heatwaves from what I've seen are just off the scale in some years. I've been to Phoenix once holy cow! I think that was 1988 it was just that one single day they experienced a record heat wave and I happen to drive to Arizona at that time! I thought I was freaking out in flipping fever I sweat rolling down my face at 1 in the morning.. I just keep . It's more difficult south of Seattle real estate here is very expensive.

Nice color I mean I wish I could move down to Arizona but the heatwaves from what I've seen are just off the scale in some years. I've been to Phoenix once holy cow! I think that was 1988 it was just that one single day they experienced a record heat wave and I happen to drive to Arizona at that time! I thought I was freaking out in flipping fever I sweat rolling down my face at 1 in the morning.. I just keep . It's more difficult south of Seattle real estate here is very expensive.

The original poster hasn't been on mud since May 2019. @JackA might have heard from him. The thing that helps in Arizona is a couple hour drive you can be up at 7,000' where it is much cooler. Real estate is much cheaper here and can afford two homes for what Seattle real estate goes for. It's possible to become a snowbird and never leave the state.

The original poster hasn't been on mud since May 2019. @JackA might have heard from him. The thing that helps in Arizona is a couple hour drive you can be up at 7,000' where it is much cooler. Real estate is much cheaper here and can afford two homes for what Seattle real estate goes for. It's possible to become a snowbird and never leave the state.
Yeah that may be possible but it's not looking good. I remember a decade ago and University in Canada announcing to the media the results of a advanced climate model simulation. It said that highly likely that the bottom part of the United States between Florida and California could become uninhabitable up to 2030 - 2050. I know Abu Dubai has had to make their major city enclosed where no one goes outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom