Canadian BJ70: Looking For Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

1987 Toyota LandCruiser BJ70 - Diesel LHD | Cars & Trucks | Calgary | Kijiji

I am hoping to get some opinions on this BJ70 that i am looking at. It seems to be mechanically sound, when i checked it out it started right up with no smoke. It shifted smoothly and accelerated good with no hiccups. The ride was rough, as it needs a new suspension.

My concern is the body, as you can see it is very rusty. I talked to Screamin' Paint Works (i found recommended on Ih8mud) and they roughly quoted me 2500 per rear quarter panel (if i provide the quarter panel). Additional work is the dent in the passenger B pillar and passenger door, dented passenger lower fender, a new drivers side rear door, and best of all... the bullet hole in the roof!

I am thinking i can possibly do the rest of the body work myself, as it would mostly (read hopefully) be grinding off surface rust, a little bondo, and probably a Monsta Liner job on the entire vehicle.

Has anyone undertaken something like this before? i skimmed the "saving the silver 70..." thread last night and will keep looking around here for more threads to read up on.

I have to admit, i have fallen in love with this truck, the diesel is just way to cool! If it were up to me, it would be sitting out front of my house right now, but i also have to convince the girlfriend that this is something we can tackle.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Should i keep looking? Or is this as good as it gets for a sub $8k diesel cruiser in canada?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Hopefully i will be posting about an actual vehicle i own soon, rather than these silly "should i buy?" threads!

I think it’s safe to say the mechanicals are significantly more bulletproof than the body on these. Since it’s extremely hard to budget out for rust repairs (and many repairs can require potentially difficult-to-source parts), when you go about calculating costs, make sure to add some significant percentage points for the unexpected. Then add your costs on top of the price and see what other vehicles are in that range. This one is cheap but will require real TLC from the few pics I can see.

Completed major repair costs rarely come back to you when a vehicle is eventually sold save for a few lucky scenarios (especially with vehicles made for outdoor flogging), so I’d rather purchase something a previous owner has had to sink money into, effectively amounting to discounted repairs for me. That’s just me though, other folks like a good project and it’s worth it for the experience.

Nice user name.

The doors and fenders look shot too. I'd be concerned about condition of the frame, as it could also be riddled with rust. Frame rust is what killed mine. Overpriced, IMO. A nice one in Vancouver just sold a couple weeks ago for 10K. That was a deal though, it got snapped up quickly.

Frame didn't look to bad, I can upload some photos i took when i get home tonight. Doors weren't to bad, i was thinking i could sand all the rust off them and then repaint. But, i am a noob at body work and am likely wrong.

The owner said he would do $5,000 for me.

And thanks! i thought it was pretty clever haha.

I would keep on looking. It is a parts or trail rig in that condition.

I looked at this . Mechanically it seems fine but but it will need very extensive rust repair all throughout the vehicle. Seats are shot and the interior is not in good shape. Would be best suited for a part out IMO.

Here is a rare Canadian spec (LHD) diesel BJ70. There were only ever about 500 of these sold in Canada and none in the USA. So this may very well be your only chance to ever own one!!

This is bull****. If you are patient and willing to spend more you an get something much better than this. I would MUCH rather have an LJ78 with a blown motor than this. Rust gets to the point where it can not be fixed viably.
Buying a JDM 7* series means you will have a good chance of getting a near perfect body.
You could pour thousand$ into this, only to have rust streaks coming through 12 months later.
That thing is a parts rig, don't fall for the "last chance" hype.

My son bought an 86 bj70 last fall. It needed extensive work but these trucks are some what rare so he scooped it up as a daily driver /trail rig. Had to repair holes in rear wells just to safety it. For what a body shop wants will buy you lots of body tools! But as above have said this is a big job. It's one thing after another! Best time I've had with my son for ages. My plan is to do rust as needed when needed. A 2 hr job turned into 2 weeks of cleaning 30 yrs of oil off fender interiors etc. then stripping rocker grd. Bondo rust and road grit. We would have walked away but it seemed like a good project truck. Can you afford the time and do you have the tools? I thought 5 grand too much. Then add turbo suspension tires wheels exhaust stereo brakes on and on. It's a tough thing to walk away from. Good luck eh.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I need to do the left side it's not as bad but is pretty rotted in places. The upper especially. Would be so much better to use 1 piece. Where can I get panels?

Hello everybody, I've been looking for a BJ70 for quite a while but long story short I found the one you guys are talking about after I gave the seller a $500 deposit without even looking at the truck since I live in Barrie,ON. Anyways I told him that o read this thread and I ended up buying it for $5,500 plus $1,200 for transportation. It does need work but hopefully I can bring it to life again, I've never done body work in my life bit I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work out well then I'll part it out lol. I'll keep u updated.

Post up some pics when you take delivery. Lots of help on many forums. My son and I stumbled on the one he's driving. $5500 with 445 000km. He's put twice that into it plus prolly 100+free hrs of body work. What are the chances another one comes along there were only a couple hundred registered like it. It's unique. His is on bj70 redux. Good luck with yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom