Can someone enlighten me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve had my truck since 1/2/20, and I love it! She’s really slow though.
The other day I finally used the VIN search for s***s and giggles, turns out my truck was built as an automatic! It is 5spd now, but I’m wondering if the fact that it came as an auto has some effect on the gearing (I would imagine so)?
I’m not experienced with gearing. Any input or insight is appreciated!

Ray

should show on the door tag as G292, G282 or i can't remember the other two.
autos typically are 4.30 or lower.
jack up one rear wheel, turn it twice and count ds rotations.

the door tag should also tell trans. r150 or A340

20230308_140953.jpg

In general:

4.10 on manual trucks
4.30 with automatics
4.56 on manual trucks with 31" tires from factory (1990-1995)
4.88 on trucks with automatics and 31" tires from factory (1990-1995)

Note that there were some goofy gear ratios on Gen1 trucks.

She’s really slow though.
The motors of this generation are very slow. I compare the 22re to a tractor motor. It is really good in 4low, gutless in 2hi. That is why a lot of us like to swap in the 2.7 or 3.4. Also, be glad you have a manual, the automatic trucks of this generation were even slower, regardless of the gearing they came with.

It's interesting that I've got a 3.0/Auto combo in the 4rnnr and while it's not a rocket it's not all that slow either. Certainly not as slow as you would think reading all of the posts about the 3.0 here and elsewhere. Compared to the very mildly hopped up rebuilt 22R in Patch it is decidedly easier to manuver in traffic. I did put 4.56's in it, but I am running 31's and looking to move to 235/85R16's which are roughly a 32.

It's interesting that I've got a 3.0/Auto combo in the 4rnnr and while it's not a rocket it's not all that slow either. Certainly not as slow as you would think reading all of the posts about the 3.0 here and elsewhere. Compared to the very mildly hopped up rebuilt 22R in Patch it is decidedly easier to manuver in traffic. I did put 4.56's in it, but I am running 31's and looking to move to 235/85R16's which are roughly a 32.
My 3.0/auto 4Runner is definitely quicker up to speed than either of the 22RE/manual Toyota 4x4's I've owned. It's weakness becomes evident on hills such as Saddle road on the Big Island, where I'm maxing out at 45 mph going up rather than the 55-60 mph speed limit. Not a problem for me though, and others can zip by in the passing lane. The 3.0 is rated at 150 hp, equivalent to the '95-2004 2.7 4 cylinder Toyota engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom