Builds Caitlyn the 2nd Gen 4Runner-ish (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to shoot over to see him soon, my new Colorado is way too stock ;)

that said, I'm going to keep repeating my chant of "it's not going to be wild" in hopes that it somehow takes in my psyche.... though today I ordered a leveling kit, and looked at 'just a mild update' to the stereo (they want $4,000 which isn't going to happen but what will happen is I'll replace the speakers, add a subwoofer and an amp - but not spend 4k doing it) - and not yet 700 miles. Pretty sure I'm doomed.
Did you get the diesel z71?

I need to shoot over to see him soon, my new Colorado is way too stock ;)

that said, I'm going to keep repeating my chant of "it's not going to be wild" in hopes that it somehow takes in my psyche.... though today I ordered a leveling kit, and looked at 'just a mild update' to the stereo (they want $4,000 which isn't going to happen but what will happen is I'll replace the speakers, add a subwoofer and an amp - but not spend 4k doing it) - and not yet 700 miles. Pretty sure I'm doomed.

Good luck with that! I had my Tundra built a week after I bought it and told myself that it was done... Now I need to build a bed rack and install a ham radio.

I have had a few people bring up concern about the pinion gear being "overheated". Here is a couple pics (one with flash, one without) showing the pinion. As you can see there are no heat marks anywhere AND the other pinon bearing rolls smoothly with no signs of overheating. The only "damage" I can see is the slight galling on the bearing surface that can be buffed out with emery cloth.

20180228_230729.jpg

20180228_230733.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get the diesel z71?
I did. I like the ZR2 but I couldn't see paying 5k more for shocks that were going to be tossed the moment I lifted it (tentatively scheduled for next weekend). I'll probably add an electric locker to the rear but even so, if anything my H3 taught was having e-lockers in both ends are kind of a waste on a daily driver.

I have had a few people bring up concern about the pinion gear being "overheated". Here is a couple pics (one with flash, one without) showing the pinion. As you can see there are no heat marks anywhere AND the other pinon bearing rolls smoothly with no signs of overheating. The only "damage" I can see is the slight galling on the bearing surface that can be buffed out with emery cloth.

20180228_230729.jpg

20180228_230733.jpg
The pinion was undamaged (remarkable when you see how toasted the outer bearing was) and the inner bearing moved freely and pressed on and off with no issues when we were setting the gears while installing Chad's Detroit. Gear setup was pretty straightforward on this, and we were able to use the installed shim stacks to set up the new pattern (using new shims of course with the new bearings).
There were a couple of things to be noted from the previous installers work; there was zero gear oil on the bearings, they were installed completely dry. This is fine when setting up pattern, but final install should see the bearings oiled individually. When I was taking a flat file to the ring gear seating surface on the Detroit, I had one of those JIC moments and did the same to the back of the ring gear and found some burrs. Definitely one of those steps you don't want to miss if you want a clean install.
This is the first sterling axle I've worked on and I was really impressed. The entire axle can only be described as overbuilt and massive.

Thanks to good friends, I got a lot done on Caitlyn this weekend. @mr jits came over and set up the rear end. The Detroit is in and we ended up with an awesome pattern. All that is left to do is bolt in the axle shafts and fill it up with 90w.

I was also able to get the new rear leaf packs in, but it sits way too high. Looks like I will need to pull a leaf or two out of the pack. It looked too ridiculous to take a pic. LOL!

Thanks to good friends, I got a lot done on Caitlyn this weekend. @mr jits came over and set up the rear end. The Detroit is in and we ended up with an awesome pattern. All that is left to do is bolt in the axle shafts and fill it up with 90w.

I was also able to get the new rear leaf packs in, but it sits way too high. Looks like I will need to pull a leaf or two out of the pack. It looked too ridiculous to take a pic. LOL!
You've gotta post a pic. At least you'll be able to pull it out of the garage no matter how tall it is.

Last edited:
lookin' good Chad! ;)

It took me long enough, but I finally have an update! I got a bit sidetracked with the modifications and “testing” of our 5th Gen Runner…

29572210_10213592885671176_6645804503541267977_n.jpg

Hopefully I will have a complete write-up on it done soon, just waiting for a few more things. But that is not what you are here to see, so moving on to Caitlyn:

As I said previously, when the rear end locked up it bent my rear leaf springs. They were TrailGear 5” springs (which have a 190lb rating) with a few leafs removed. This is what they ended up looking like:

20180327_234346.jpg

I wanted a little bit stiffer of a spring, so I opted to get TrailGear 4” springs with a 200 lb rating. I through them in and the back sat way too tall. (No pic of that… It looked too ridiculous.)

Last night, my amazing wife came out in the garage with me to pull a couple of leafs out of the 4” pack and get everything back together. It was great having an extra hand! The final product looks perfect. I only hope that the springs don’t settle too much. If they do, I can always add a leaf back in.

20180327_234308.jpg

***Shop hint: Using an engine hoist to lift the back to the truck to swap leaf springs is SO much easier (and less scary) than using a 60” Hi-Lift.

I was also able to get my rear shocks installed.

20180327_234318.jpg

And the seat brackets for the new seats came in!

20180327_234339.jpg

There is not a lot left to do before I am ready to take her out on a test run. I’m getting excited but I’m also feeling the deadline looming… I need to stop playing with the 5th Gen and get my butt in gear!

Last edited:
Not a huge update, but we were able to drive Caitlyn to dinner last night! I am shocked at how well it drives. However, the check engine light came on halfway there and it will not idle down by itself... Stab the throttle and it drops to where it needs to be. I guess I got some chasing to do.

Someone was telling me that the IAC valves get build up at the seats causing high idle. I could be wrong though. What was the code for?

Very Nice Build. I'll be following this for sure. Keep it up!
Maybe I can use this to motivate my brother to get back to work on his 91 :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom