Cable lockers? HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Could someone give me a pointer if there is a possibility to install mechanical (cable) lockers in the HJ61 series?
ARB air lockers would have tank and compressor that I'm not really happy to have on board (visually).
Some HJ61 have cable lockers but where can I find these?

diff locks.jpg

Some HJ61s came with cable lockers fitted from the factory so it is totally doable if can find a set.

if you can find me a set of volvo c303 portal axles I can swap you a set of HJ61 axles with cable lockers.
I nice vehicle👍 Valpen is a cool workhorse.
Do you need the whole axle assembly or sparepart? I could try to search some swedish forums if there is someone on a shelf somewhere

I am after a set of front and rear axle assembly. If you could find a set for me it would be really nice. I have a cable locked rear third member separately if you don’t need whole axle. It can be easily fitted to a non locking diff housing. I also have 80 series e-locker diffs and axles If you need.

I am after a set of front and rear axle assembly. If you could find a set for me it would be really nice. I have a cable locked rear third member separately if you don’t need whole axle. It can be easily fitted to a non locking diff housing. I also have 80 series e-locker diffs and axles If you need.
Well I tried to find some portal for you but no luck so far. I keep an eye on the forums for you. If I find them I give you a PM👍.
Looking for aft and front cable lockers for the hj61. Would love to get new lockers but can't find any dealer selling.

Well I tried to find some portal for you but no luck so far. I keep an eye on the forums for you. If I find them I give you a PM👍.
Looking for aft and front cable lockers for the hj61. Would love to get new lockers but can't find any dealer selling.
I appreciate for your help please keep an eye I hope I can find a set someday.

Here is a set :

Little closer then Mongolia. :giggle:

Thank you so much for the link! Amazing how much this forum can help👌
Especially when still learning about these beautiful Land Cruisers.

I'm in the beginnings of swapping some in couple of minor things. You may have to add rivnuts or something similar to attach the bracket for the cables and leavers.
And the dash light for the lockers is different for 88 on.

Thanks for the headsup on this. I guess some detailing and adjustments would be needed to make it all fit together. Still looking for options on automatic (Detroit) or electrical lockers. The air locker system require even more parts.

I have two set of cable lockers for RHD 60series for sale, but you need axles first. They are full-floating and rare for US-market

Thanks for the info! The more I dig into the cable locker the more I find out needs to be rebuilt. Anyone that could tell how the LSD works on the LC? Maybe I could live with the LSD. I will test drive the truck in a month so that should answer some questions I guess😂
Edit: Its an 1989 FF LSD HJ61

those lockers are really hard to find on 60's and 40's meaybe a canadian HJ60 VX or european cruisers. If you find on set of OEM cable lockers, you will be finding Gold !!!

Thanks for the info! The more I dig into the cable locker the more I find out needs to be rebuilt. Anyone that could tell how the LSD works on the LC? Maybe I could live with the LSD. I will test drive the truck in a month so that should answer some questions I guess😂
Edit: Its an 1989 FF LSD HJ61
If you have rear LSD it`s possible make them difflocks. You will need only differential and right shaft with long spline. The same front axle, but shaft must be left.

How many sets do you need? We have them a lot here in Finland. Almost all HJ61 and late models 60 have them fitted as stock in here. Prices around 800-1000€ with cables and stuff.
I read about the Finnish military editions😁 hardcore offroading👍
I would need 2 diff, aft and fwd, (don't know if I need to replace the whole axle?) to be fitted to a 1989 VX HJ61. Do I need to check the part numbers?

Last edited:
I read about the Finnish military editions😁 hardcore offroading👍
I would need 2 diff, aft and fwd, (don't know if I need to replace the whole axle?) to be fitted to a 1989 VX HJ61. Do I need to check the part numbers?

I sent you a pm.

And they are not military versions. Stock versions that anyone could buy from a local dealer.

Back in the day, Downey made a cable conversion for the FZJ80 rear locker. Wonder if any are still floating around. I plan to get an FZJ80 rear as soon as I can (kinda really wanting the parking brake now that I have the H55F) and would do shady things in a dark alley for one of those Downey kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom