C02 for Airing Up/Tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many people are using C02? I bought a small compressor first starting out and quickly found out that having my family stare at me while spending over 5 minutes a tire wasn't going to work.

I built the DIY system from a YouTube video below and did a test run of it in the driveway and can't wait to use it out on the trail. I know all the cons to it (refills, taking up some interior space) but it seemed to be just what I needed.

I knew a guy who build a tank into his bumper, which was just a big round tube. I’d hate to have a rear end collision it but it worked to fill truck tires.

I run a 20 pound tank in my 40, it works great. I also have an arb compressor to run my lockers. I use the co2 for tires, there are some things that require a high volume of air that a compressor cant do, for example re-setting a bead you need a lot of air all at once.

I run a 20 pound tank in my 40, it works great. I also have an arb compressor to run my lockers. I use the co2 for tires, there are some things that require a high volume of air that a compressor cant do, for example re-setting a bead you need a lot of air all at once.

What size air tank is need to re-seat a bead (in gallons) ?

I will be getting a CO2 from Powertank... you can make you own cheaper but the gauges from Powertank are top notch!

I probably wont store it inside the cab... :hungover: Jason at @TRAIL TAILOR can make a bumper mount...

It's a space thing for me. ARB Twin fits under the hood. It's 1:30 - 1:40 per tire to go from ~22 to ~42. So that's 6-7 minutes for all four in 33" size. With kids, gear, dog... there's no cubic inches left.

What size air tank is need to re-seat a bead (in gallons) ?

I bet you would need at least 5 maybe 10 gallons at over 90 psi. Co2 makes easy work of this.

When we can afford the room, I love the convenience (and speed) of the tank. We also carry a little MV-50 which is a great bang for the buck. Looking forward we’re hoping to regear, add lockers and an ARB Twin underhood. I think if you want to consider air tools, you’re locked into considering using a tank.

I have a Powertank leftover from my previous Tundra.
Pros:
Super fast tire inflation
Silent

Cons:
Bulky
Heavy
Limited capacity
Pay to fill
Seems dangerous to store inside the vehicle
My tires seem to leak down quickly when filled with CO2

In short, it works great but I’m doing to switch to an under hood ARB. I can’t chance having that thing flying around the cabin or blowing a seal with my family inside.

I bet you would need at least 5 maybe 10 gallons at over 90 psi. Co2 makes easy work of this.
No. A bead can be reseated with a small compressor, even a $30 type. Getting a seal on the bead so pressure can build is key. Having it appropriately lubed is key. Now, is it easier with a bunch of instant volume? yes. I found that the duty of the tire is a good indicator to how hard it is to bead. 116 easy. 125 moderate. 129 hard. Three tires in three brands so lots of uncontrolled variables.

No. A bead can be reseated with a small compressor, even a $30 type. Getting a seal on the bead so pressure can build is key. Having it appropriately lubed is key. Now, is it easier with a bunch of instant volume? yes. I found that the duty of the tire is a good indicator to how hard it is to bead. 116 easy. 125 moderate. 129 hard. Three tires in three brands so lots of uncontrolled variables.

I think there are a lot of variables at play, rim to tire width is a huge factor. Having a ratchet strap that you can run around the tread of the tire in the middle to help the tire push out at the rim can help. If both beads pop off its going to be a challenge to get them re-set with a small compressor. I guess anything is possible, but I would rather have a 5 gal tank with the small compressor if it was me.

I rolled 2 beads off on Moab Rim, thankfully I had CO2 and was able to get back up and running in about 30 minutes. Lesson learned, 11 PSI was too low, I had lowered to 15 some air must have leaked out overnight.

I haven't desired air tools since rechargable battery impacts have gotten so good. For tires, a tank is really nice. The other option with a smaller onboard compressor is to run it with an accumulator tank. I've seen some sweet setups with small tanks run inside frame rails, or even the body of the bumper being a tank. This helps with speed until the tank is exhausted, then you're back to the capacity of the compressor.

Nice Tank setup for cheap money OP. Looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom