Buttons and features + maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maliabletick

SILVER Star
Threads
Purchased a 94 Prado KZJ78. trying to find out what these buttons do as I wish to maintain it for 15+ years. As I recently purchasing what basic maintenance should I do right away. I only know that I have to flush out all the fluids

20231107_121903.JPG

20231107_121910.JPG

20231107_121917.JPG

20231107_121922.JPG

20231107_122030.JPG

Welcome
Do you have some more pics of the truck from outside? We are all curious 😉

I recently gave my opinion on basic maintenance for a newly aquired rig here
Post in thread '1989 LJ73 - Getting it Back to Safe and Reliable COndition' 1989 LJ73 - Getting it Back to Safe and Reliable COndition - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1989-lj73-getting-it-back-to-safe-and-reliable-condition.1325326/post-15217012

Hub lock:
Your truck apparently has electricall engaging hubs on the front axle. This button should engage those. (A locking hub allows to disconnect the front drivetrain from the wheels, so it doesn't passively spin in 2WD. Saves on wear and fuel)
They are a bit notorious for failure on older age. Probably need to be checked.

H4:
Engages your 4WD in high range. (Low range to be engage with the 2nd shifter stick H=High, N=Neutral, L=Low range)

The previous owner (PO) apparently went a bit wild on the electrics. Lots of non-OEM switches.
I strongly suggest to check all those. Sketchy electrics can burn down a vehicle.

Heater & climate:
The levers are quite obvious. A/C control on the twisting knob on the right.
On the left usually sits another twisting knob for the blower. That red knob? No idea. Ejection Seat?

Red 'Push on' and other switches in that row
No idea. There are various switches possible in this row. Including headlight-washer, front and rear foglights. You have rear heated window in backdoor and rear washer.
Idle-up: Could be a choke. No idea (mine has a manual knob near the steering column)

ETC: Electronic traction control

On/of on middle console: No idea

Sport/Norm: Adjustable suspension (would be surprised if that is still in place and works).

I guess, you need some manuals for your truck. (Owners manual, workshop manual, engine manual)
Check here FAQ - Online Repair Manual Sources - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/online-repair-manual-sources.185322/
(You need to work trough the links. Internet resources vanish fast)

Sooner or later you will need parts.
There are several supporting vendors from US and Canada on ih8mud. Some are reall wizzards and great support.
Online parts catalogue help identifying part numbers and the diagrams are quite educational on how things work.
Partsouq.com, amayama.com, megazip.net ... go by VIN.

Good luck Ralf

Welcome
Do you have some more pics of the truck from outside? We are all curious 😉

I recently gave my opinion on basic maintenance for a newly aquired rig here
Post in thread '1989 LJ73 - Getting it Back to Safe and Reliable COndition' 1989 LJ73 - Getting it Back to Safe and Reliable COndition - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1989-lj73-getting-it-back-to-safe-and-reliable-condition.1325326/post-15217012

Hub lock:
Your truck apparently has electricall engaging hubs on the front axle. This button should engage those. (A locking hub allows to disconnect the front drivetrain from the wheels, so it doesn't passively spin in 2WD. Saves on wear and fuel)
They are a bit notorious for failure on older age. Probably need to be checked.

H4:
Engages your 4WD in high range. (Low range to be engage with the 2nd shifter stick H=High, N=Neutral, L=Low range)

The previous owner (PO) apparently went a bit wild on the electrics. Lots of non-OEM switches.
I strongly suggest to check all those. Sketchy electrics can burn down a vehicle.

Heater & climate:
The levers are quite obvious. A/C control on the twisting knob on the right.
On the left usually sits another twisting knob for the blower. That red knob? No idea. Ejection Seat?

Red 'Push on' and other switches in that row
No idea. There are various switches possible in this row. Including headlight-washer, front and rear foglights. You have rear heated window in backdoor and rear washer.
Idle-up: Could be a choke. No idea (mine has a manual knob near the steering column)

ETC: Electronic traction control

On/of on middle console: No idea

Sport/Norm: Adjustable suspension (would be surprised if that is still in place and works).

I guess, you need some manuals for your truck. (Owners manual, workshop manual, engine manual)
Check here FAQ - Online Repair Manual Sources - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/online-repair-manual-sources.185322/
(You need to work trough the links. Internet resources vanish fast)

Sooner or later you will need parts.
There are several supporting vendors from US and Canada on ih8mud. Some are reall wizzards and great support.
Online parts catalogue help identifying part numbers and the diagrams are quite educational on how things work.
Partsouq.com, amayama.com, megazip.net ... go by VIN.

Good luck Ralf

ECT= Electronically Controlled Transmission.

ECT= Electronically Controlled Transmission.
Right (of course :) ). In the Power mode the transmission shifts at a higher RPM. Useful for hill climbing I suppose . My '90 4Runner has this button.

"Idle Up" does exactly what it says: ups the idle.

That red safety cover is kind of a strange one to be located where it is; normally I see that kind of thing as a winch-solenoid arming switch.

This truck has definitely "had a little work done." You're just gonna have to use your best safety squint and start flipping switches - see what goes boom.

Probably about all that can be done, yeah.

I might start at the battery and see if there's a separate power drop to an auxiliary block of any sort; that, and check behind the switches to see what they're wired to...if anything. Might be that the accessories are already gone, and the control switches are all that remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom