But it's a Jeep! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

75pinz said:
This eternal Jeep hatred is so ridiculous. All s*** breaks. This site used to be a nice place to be with people who were accepting of all things 4x4. I understand the Toyota forum thing but come one. I spent about and hour outside today looking at Hodag's 60. The problem was a 6 month old OEM Toyota dist. cap. Too bad he didn't get the cheapest one he could find at auto zone or something. I didn't think that could be it as the cap was so new. My
buddy's cherokee is out in the driveway for me to put u joints in it. 295k miles on the originals. No significant repairs at all. Hoses, belts, brakes.
I would like to see someone compare the Toyotas to something else. How about a FJ40 to a Pinz or a Volvo C303?

OK Pinz, Texx was pretty harsh on you but still; a guy gives a factual account that something advertised as "TRAIL RATED" is no longer warranteed becasue it is "TRAIL USED". Now he is "bashing"?

You really want to go down the road of how assanine that is? If you want to wear the badge then you need to back it up when it gets used that way. Yeah I can understand not covering a diff when some numb nuts tries to do burnouts with his Rubi fully locked. But an ECM? Come on, that's crap and we all know it.

I take my Taco down to the dealership for service and it's solid orange underneath. They don't give me any crap about abuse. It's pretty obvious that it lives offroad M-F and on weekends for fun but it's a truck and that's why they come with 4wd. If Jeep is gonna hang a guy out to dry like that then maybe they should change it from "trail rated" to "trail rated, just take our word for it".

Next up: Why bother comparing a 40 to a Pinz or C303? They are not even remotely comparable vehicles. It's like comparing a radio to a flashlight. Yeah they both run off of batteries but they aren't even remotely close to serving the same purpose. :confused:

Gumby said:
They should be forced to put a disclaimer on their ads - "Warrenty null and void if taken off the pavement"

I've got a buddy who has a Rubicon with a long arm kit and 36" SX's and wheels the piss out of it. He'll break an axle shaft and just drop it off at the dealer. "Call me when it's done" :D

I ain't got no hate for any 4x4. I just have a preferance.

Well the way i look at it is....

Jeeps look good while setting in a parking lot or on a gently rolling grassy noll. They are semi capable offroad meaning they will tackle light log roads and some mud. And last for a 150k miles.

Toyotas on the other hand(1st gen 4runners, pickups, and LCs) Look good in a parking lot and the gently rolling hills. They are capable, while stock, to tackle light to medium log roads and quite a bit of mud, ice, snow etc. Plus they last 250k miles easily.

I myself(and parents) have had the following....

1985 4runner-stock-some bearings replaced in tranny-289k miles. I t-boned some old guy runnning 45 MPH at a stop sign because he didn't see the stop sign and blew through the intersection, and the 4runner could have been driven home(it was by my dad since i was working into the night at mchdonalds and needed both headlights.

1989 camry-stock-replaced motor but it didn't need a new motor(stupidity on our part) motor was replaced with 395k miles and was still running at 420k miles when we gave it away.

1994 camry - stock - 210k miles. Still running strong, Moms daily driver.

1991 4runner(this is the bad apple of the bunch) - stock - 140k miles - new tranny and head gaskets already but other than that super solid. Wifes DD

1993 Mini - stock- 240k miles and still runnin strong - my daily driver.

So with that said i will argue with anyone about how long toyotas last compared to GM, FORD, or CHRYSLER.

lunyou

75pinz said:
This eternal Jeep hatred is so ridiculous. All s*** breaks. This site used to be a nice place to be with people who were accepting of all things 4x4. I understand the Toyota forum thing but come one. I spent about and hour outside today looking at Hodag's 60. The problem was a 6 month old OEM Toyota dist. cap. Too bad he didn't get the cheapest one he could find at auto zone or something. I didn't think that could be it as the cap was so new. My buddy's cherokee is out in the driveway for me to put u joints in it. 295k miles on the originals. No significant repairs at all. Hoses, belts, brakes.
I would like to see someone compare the Toyotas to something else. How about a FJ40 to a Pinz or a Volvo C303?
I don't ever recall this site being Jeep friendly. Pinzes, yes. Mogs, yes. Rovers...maybe...depending on the model. But Jeeps? No. We tend to dislike Hummers too...especially the H2s and H3s. Things with a military background get respect...things that break easily do not.

just my observation.

i don't mind jeeps...they're like bad dogs quite often and my hatred is usually directed at their owners.

NorCalDoug said:
I don't ever recall this site being Jeep friendly. Pinzes, yes. Mogs, yes. Rovers...maybe...depending on the model. But Jeeps? No. We tend to dislike Hummers too...especially the H2s and H3s. Things with a military background get respect...things that break easily do not.

just my observation.
A true military H1 can get my respect (from the AMC days) but h2s and h3s are WEAKSAUCE! And my dad has his heep dangler. He can't stand how weak it is. He said that if he had dumped half as much into his LC and he has his Heep he wouldn't have 1/10th the problems. Basically he misses the integrity of his LC and its strength and abilities. If you're looking for a heep-friendly forum your in the wrong place. Jeep vs Land Cruiser is Apples to Oranges.

I am not a lover of chryslers..

but does toyota offer a diesel? NO

is there any new toyota sold in NA with front and rear lockers? NO

does toyota offer a 4-1 crawler gear box? NO

The jeeps while crappy or not are offering a few of these things. Just a matter of time they stuff that diesel into a Yj or whatever that is. With all the serious off road items including solid diffs.

So while we get RAV4s and what ever s*** there is, we can be loyalists and drive our 20-40 yr old cruisers.

I love my BJ60, to me its what Toyota means to me, tough and dependle, maybe the jeep is neither, but with out doing any mods its capable.

Toyota in NA just pisses me off.

while there are many Jeep poser owners, well not many-actually thousands......there are lots of you on here who are just posers.......big tires and never leave the city..:flipoff2:

ok my rant is off...... jeeps suck.

Lets just prentend all the Heep owners suddenly "saw the light"?
What would happen to the supply of Cruisers? How would it affect prices?

Would you really want the average Heep owner to start driving a Cruiser?

Me I'm really glad there are Heeps around.

I don't know - I've seen and have heard about plenty of Jeeps that have held up well and made over 250k miles. The Cherokees in paticular, with the 4.0 and the auto transmission are a pretty decent combo.

The Cherokee I used to have was much more trouble free and reliable than my FJ60, for the most part, it never left me stranded, or needed any major repairs. It didn't burn oil or leak anything, and never had the sort of component failures I've had with the 60 either... :shrug:

My overall experience with the 60 (and our Avalon, for that matter) haven't been nearly as exceptional as the experience I've had with my poverty-package Corolla. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but the experience has kept me from buying an 80, and I'm now at a point where I've ruled that out entirely, and have started to look at other makers for whatever replaces my 60.

That said, and back to the orig. point, it is retarded for Jeep to advertise the lifestyle and not back it up. I wonder if Xterra owners have experienced the same, considering their ad campaign?

Well, my heep XJ has seen a s*** load of off pavemnt use. 200,000 miles one clutch and one starter. Not bad. With the ome suspension it rides pretty well to. Besides, the dogs like it. It also gets better gas milage.

Fly Rod

75pinz said:
This eternal Jeep hatred is so ridiculous. All s*** breaks. This site used to be a nice place to be with people who were accepting of all things 4x4. I understand the Toyota forum thing but come one. I spent about and hour outside today looking at Hodag's 60. The problem was a 6 month old OEM Toyota dist. cap. Too bad he didn't get the cheapest one he could find at auto zone or something. I didn't think that could be it as the cap was so new. My buddy's cherokee is out in the driveway for me to put u joints in it. 295k miles on the originals. No significant repairs at all. Hoses, belts, brakes.

First off... I dont see where your rational is about comparing the Land Cruiser to a Pinzgaur or a C303... hmm.. what about a Mog? They clearly arent made or designed for the same thing. I dont see very many C303 or Pinz dealership around... or tons of them running around town or on the highway... infact I think over the past 30 years I have only seen 3 Pinzgaurs and a few Mogs. I can say I have owned several different brand 4x4's over that time frame.... only the Toyota Land Cruiser has given me and my family a reliable truck for both family and fun with awesome longivity. I have owned several TLC's. I have also owned a two Jeep XJ's... they always have left my wife and kids stranded at the worst times. Something was always breaking. I dont have a ridiculous hatred for jeeps... they just arent as reliable as Land Cruisers and I do not trust them. My brother is a pure blooded jeephead..... both his jeeps have been sitting in the driveway and taking up space in his garage for over a year now. My last TLC almost made it to 400,000 US Miles before I swapped the engine out... on the original factory bearings.

btw.... this isnt the first time a jeep warranty has been voided by the dealership for taking the vehicle offroad and getting mud in the engine bay.

clownmidget said:
HThe Heep is less than a month off the lot, gets dragged to the dealership where they tell him the tranny and xfer are toast and both diffs are in sad shape. They say there's a lot of mud and water contamination that's the cause.

They say "Not covered under warrantee."

He says "What do you mean? It's a Heep!"

They say "It's been off road."

I couldn't believe it then and I can't believe it now, but that is the TRUTH. Makes you wonder why anyone bothers with them...
Change the words Heep to Toyota Tacoma and it would be exactly like what happened to me about 5 years ago...

Pinzs are everywhere

Look around. I have had two. Cost less than a nice Cruiser with hydraulic difflocks front and rear. About the same size too. Mogs are a 1.5 ton truck. I have a m35 as well. It would crush all of the above with it's spare tire. :) Good morning. Just saying LC's are great. Jeeps are just fine daily drivers. As some one mentioned, most people don't know how to drive anyway. I see more 80s and 100s being driven by yuppies than anything else. calm down texx. someone might think you are crazy.

Lets see.... "My House is better than another house!" What you don't consider is a $600,000 house is going to be better than a $200,000 house!

New Jeeps cost a hell of a lot less than new cruisers! You can buy three new Jeeps for what a new Cruiser costs. And I think you will get a better percentage return on you money when it comes time to sell. There is always a demand for used Jeeps with the younger croud. I don't think that is the case with 100s.

In the Jeep community there is a certain amount of "Rubicon Envy" where the ones that don't have one talk trash about the ones that do. There is a certain amount of Elitism emanating from the Rubi owners also. This forum gives the impression of elitism when it comes to 4x4s...ie.. "All Heeps are crap!"

As to warrenty problems and off-roading.. Many Jeep owners have found that they just need to find a dealer that is friendly with off-roaders and the problems are fixed.

Toyota warranty story. Vehicle - 99 100 Series. Happened about two years ago. I go wheeling with a bunch of rovers and we are climbing a very steep rutted hil. I am going very slow so as not to destroy my rear quarter panel. I give it some juice and bam, the front diff broke. The vehicle has 58k miles, 285 BFG ATs, lift kit and ARB. I drive it to the toyota dealership, Fred Anderson in Raleigh. It is still covered head to toe in mud. The diagnos the problem and fix it for FREE because of the 60k mile powertrain warranty. $3000 front diff, did not even ask about the lift, tires, bumper, mud or anything. O yeah, it does not have a trail rated badge.

And another thing if I ever own a heep rubicon and it is in warranty and they refuse to repair it because of offroading, I will leave it with them, contact 60 minutes, dateline, every local tv show, write their president, ceo, and the guys in germany. They might not fix it but they have so mauch bad press they will not what to do.

uzj100

Well,

At least a person can go buy a new Jeep that looks nice and has off-road fearures, however functional they may be, whilst a Toyota fancier has to sniff around for the least possible rusty specimen that is at least 23 years old.

I see too many Jeeps. My buddie's purchase of his '81 Jeep CJ7 (4200 + 10000 in repairs over 2-3 years) compared to my purchase of my Cruiser (3500 + 0 in major repairs over one year so far) has me not too impressed with the build quality of Jeeps. Especially since he's replaced all the driveline components with something that's NOT Jeep, except the engine but he wants a 350. But his Jeep has almost the EXACT same capability of my near-stock 40. I dunno, I guess I'm biased. However I was out at EJS with him this last spring wheeling with other TJs, and with coils those trucks aren't half-bad performance-wise. Ran Hell's, Behind the Rocks and Moab Rim with only a rear axle getting broken on Upchuck on Behind the Rocks. Cruisers are fewer, look better and are cooler though :grinpimp:

Guilty as charged...my bad! Personally, I have huge owner loyalty to Toyota. The jeeps I've had access to (even owned one for two days!) failed to impress me with their build quality and electrical problems (XJ). My family owns all Toyota, except for my work truck (F350) and my daughter's pathfinder (cheap, import quality, and two wheel anyway, so who cares.)

75pinz said:
Look around. I have had two. Cost less than a nice Cruiser with hydraulic difflocks front and rear. About the same size too. Mogs are a 1.5 ton truck. I have a m35 as well. It would crush all of the above with it's spare tire. :) Good morning. Just saying LC's are great. Jeeps are just fine daily drivers. As some one mentioned, most people don't know how to drive anyway. I see more 80s and 100s being driven by yuppies than anything else. calm down texx. someone might think you are crazy.

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Really? Kidding aside and ripping on Jeep aside.
They advertise its 4x4 capibilities, and show Jeeps climbing up this and that, but once it is taken off road, it voids the warranty? I assume this is disclosed in the warranty information when the vehicle is purchased, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom