But it's a Jeep! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Darwood said:
What Dan said. I'm disappointed in Toyota's latest offerings. I had a 99 Tacoma and it was nice, but the rack and pinion steering was a weak link, also the frame was not fully boxed and I saw at least one incedent where the rear frame bent from a too heavy after market bumper.

If we could only get the 70 series.

This is my only gripe with Toyota right now. I am not a jeep fan because I have too many friends with them and I know their pain, and sometimes have gone through it with them unfortunatly. And my dad had a 95' Cherokee and it was pretty pathetic at 64,000 miles. Now he drives an FZJ and he couldn't thank me more for making him ditch the jeep. The only things that have gone wrong in 150,000 miles are the starter, and a rear diff problem that Toyota fixed free of charge a couple of thousand miles after the warranty was up. The jeep we had had a long list of things that had been replaced/fixed before 60,000 miles, and the list was growing. You cannot argue with that. And Toyota designs their components to withstand that type of abuse.

There are the few jeeps that last a good while trouble free, but they are few and far between. But I will give jeep one thing, they actually offer cars that their enthusiasts/loyalists want. Toyota doesn't in this country. Me, I will end up spending my FJC money on a 25 year old 70 series. I already have a Tacoma and I can build that up without the ugly body. jeeps have their place, but not for me. Although I do enjoy wrenching, I would rather be wrenching to upgrade opposed to wrenching just to drive. My $0.02.

I think if you have a good relationship with your service adviser they can make anything happen .

Also I have had a jeep for 10 years and the only thing I have done to it is ........ Put a v8 in it , put dana 60's under it , chevy trany and transfer case . It is a rig I flog profusely . If you do the same with your toyota than cudo's to you to . And if you don't :flipoff2:

out in Cali we jeep vs. toya alot too, Butt...

most hardcore haters agree: change the diffs. change the trans, and transfer case do an engine swap, put bigger tires on it add more cage, and its not a jeep or a toy or remotely stock anymore anyway. 250k on my 76 cj-7 and its not even close to stock, but it goes wherever I point it.sooo. in passing, I just like to wheel with everyone whether they are at the end of my tow stap or I'm at the end of thiers.[although that doesn't happen] rock on!:steer:

I have run my Rubicon (04) side by side with my 76 FJ40, stock had no issues we ran rhe Rubicon Trail and many trails in Moab 4 years running and both are great vehicles if used correctly. Name of the game is handle it appropriately. yea, both have issues granted, use em dont abuse em.

I owned 3 XJ's over a 9-year period and still have an MJ (Comanche). The XJ's were all reliable in the beginning but began having issues after they had been heavily modified and wheeled a bunch. Almost all of the issues I could trace to the bigger tires, lockers, wheeling putting extra stress on components. The MJ was a very abused beater from day 1 with 150K when I purchased it, which is why I have replaced every drivetrain component on it. I bought an FZJ80 a month ago because I have 4 kids and we don't fit in an XJ anymore. During that time the rear hatch handle broke (plastic clip inside door), and now the cruiser doesn't start (some electrical problem I'm working on in another thread). It all feels the same to me, spending $$ and time on maintenance because I continue to drive older vehicles. Both brands have good points, who cares what logo is on it? With that said, I love the fact that my 80 comes with stuff I had to upgrade to on the XJ (lockers, good axles, stout frame). Do most people who can afford a newer vehicle (aka warranty) wheel them hard?

Last edited:
One of the best vehicles I ever had, 1996 Jeep XJ (grand cherokee). Had it for 10 years and now my dad has it. He loves it and said it is the best vehicle he has had. Never has broken down and very few things have had to have been replaced or repaired.

I believe it is around 125,000 on it now with the 4.0 inline six. Reminds me a lot in driving characteristics to my 94 Land Cruiser FZJ80.

KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom